PDA

View Full Version : OUPS! The system crashed before I could use Marvin's utility.

okapi
06-17-2008, 06:17 PM
The system crashed before I could use Marvin's utility.

So I don't have a patch folder neither patcher.sh script.

My system kernel panics on an encrypted binary but I am able go in single user mode.

Is there a way to run Marvin's utility using a CLI. If not what can I do to manually recreate what Marvin does.

Voyn1x
06-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Not sure if you can run Marvins via cli, but if you formatted your disk as GUID originally you could make a new partition using disk utility off the cd, do a second install and run Marvins from there.

Or you could install to a different drive if you have one?

okapi
06-17-2008, 07:12 PM
No GUID the drive is formatted as MBR, but I have another disk.

Wouldn't it be possible to run Marvin's utility directly from the livecd without reinstalling on another drive?

milanca
06-18-2008, 03:19 AM
@okapi

What have you installed exactly without applying marvin's patches? We can send you a cpuid text and a patcher to try to resque your system just be a bit more specific, is it 10.5.3 update or what was it.

okapi
06-18-2008, 11:41 AM
I updated my client install to server

Voyn1x
06-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Hmm.. this will cause getting the correct cpuids from us next to impossible since you have rather a unique situation there. I doubt many people are running server here, if at all.

I really think the only way to save your install is by making another one and recovering it from there. It's always good to have a second install especially on AMDs. I have a small 10gb partition set aside just in case something breaks my system.

okapi
06-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Saving my install is exactly what I want. My install setup was full blown and up to date.

I have a MBP for my main desktop anyway. There is no chance of having bad CPU IDS on this system. ;-)

I will install another instance on my spare disk then and recover from it.

Thanks!

okapi
06-20-2008, 12:33 AM
I was able to patch using a second disk.
I created a patches folder and patched it in single user mode.

But now the kernel panics on dsmos.kext