PDA

View Full Version : Can I remove standard applications ?

iero
07-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Hello all,

With the standard installation, I have a lot of unused applications. Ie : Bluetooth, Firewire, quicktime, airport...

Can I remove those applications or are they needed for Leopard to run properly ?

Thanx !

iero.

Voyn1x
07-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Bluetooth, firewire and airport are part of the core system - i would advise to leave them well alone, especially Quicktime. Many applications rely on it such as your web browser when playing certain video content.

The real question is why on earth would you want to remove them. Even if you could, the most you'll probably save is 50-100mb tops...

naquaada
07-05-2008, 12:32 PM
If you need more space on your hd, try Xslimmer. It removes the PPC part and unneccessary languages from the files. iChat reduces this way from 120 to 17 MB. Some applications, f.e. Mail, aren't working, but these are blacklisted so that they. can't be slimmed.

iero
07-05-2008, 01:49 PM
@Voyn1x : because I'm a linux user.. If a file isn't needed, I remove it !

Thank you !

Voyn1x
07-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Heh, each to their own! :)

LawlessPPC
07-05-2008, 03:39 PM
does xslimmer only work on installed apps or will it run on say for example an update before its installed. See if you can guess where im going with this?

nfoav8or
07-06-2008, 06:06 AM
Xslimmer will slim down an APP if when you install it using the drag-n-drop method, you drag it over the Xslimmer App. I think you are leaning towards whether it will work with updates and to my knowledge it will not look inside a .pkg or .mpkg to "slim" it down.