PDA

View Full Version : Zephyroth's 10.5.2 - System freezes when downloading

Winters
07-12-2008, 02:40 PM
I just installed Zepythroth's 10.5.2 rev 2 and it was all going well! :) Until, I started a download (Adium, if I remember right) the system froze and the "press power button to restart" message is displayed. Apart from that, so far, it's running great, until I try to download something..not all downloads cause this situation though..

AMD Athlon X2 64 3800+
Asus M2NPV-VM - Geforce 6150 nForce 430
2 Gb Kingston 667 MHz DDR2
Western Digital ATA 40 Gb

naquaada
07-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Are you using the forcedeth network driver? I had on my system the problem when transferring large files via network the computer crashed. After replacing it with forcedeth-v it worked.

Winters
07-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Hi!

Yap. I'm using forcedeth driver. I guess that should be the prob. I have used in Tiger but never had that situation occurring. Any link where I can get it?

Winters
07-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Ok..I found the driver and installed it.. seems to be holding on so far! :) To test it I'm having some fun with the software update app. It already screwed quickplayer! :) but this installation is just for fun..I'll try and post some coherent feedback about the update app! Thank you once again!

Winters
07-12-2008, 04:53 PM
ooook..spoke too soon! Was downloading Firefox and down it went..tsss.tsss

Voyn1x
07-12-2008, 04:59 PM
It may be worth picking up a cheap network card like the Realtek 8139 or 8169.

The forcedeth drivers are really flaky. My xbox wouldn't connect to Connect360 and bonjour in ichat wouldn't work for me until I added separate network card.

naquaada
07-12-2008, 05:07 PM
It depends on the hardware and on the connection settings. My onboard LAN chips Marvel 88E8001 and RTL8201CL which are controlled by forcedeth are working fine now.

@ Winters:

have you deleted Extensions.mkext and repaired the permissions with Disk Utility?

Winters
07-12-2008, 05:59 PM
Hello guys

Because I'm not that comfortable with the terminal, I used ktext helper to install it. Still didnt work. Then I formatted the entire disk again and install os x again (practise makes perfect) so I went straight with forcedeth -v. This time I followed the instructions that I saw on this post: <a href="http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=12933">here</a> I also downloaded the driver from there..(version 0.3 ..unless that is not the forcedeth -v) This time I used the terminal. I am really a noob and I didn't repair permissions or deleted Extensions.mkext.

Winters
07-12-2008, 06:02 PM
I usually dont have to mess about with the connection. This is a network and I get my connection from there..

Puttabong
07-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Hi Winters,

My motherboard has two LAN ports, a forcedeth and a marvell one. The forcedeth port is not working, at any attempt of downloading or loading large websites the computer freezes. This is a common problem with forcedeth on nForce motherboards. However, the marvell works fine. Nowadays I am using Wi-Fi, though.

Winters
07-12-2008, 07:27 PM
You have quite a nickname :)

I guess so..I guess I'll try a Realtek network card.
Thank you all for your help! I appreciate it!