PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Coding at startup

Aydinz
09-17-2008, 09:50 AM
how would i go about replacing all the coding which says loading kext's and stuff at the start after selecting the OS with the apple loading screen?

Cheers :D

R0GUE
09-17-2008, 10:56 AM
In your com.apple.boot.plist remove: -v
It's within the line under kernel flags.

This file can be found in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

Aydinz
09-18-2008, 09:04 AM
i dont have this directory "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/" i have no preferences folder, just a preferencepanes folder.

Voyn1x
09-18-2008, 12:33 PM
You must be looking in the wrong directory, probably System.

You can find it here: http://www.grabup.com/uploads/a5aea6d3fb242752146d6603fca40993.png

R0GUE
09-18-2008, 12:47 PM
i dont have this directory "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/" i have no preferences folder, just a preferencepanes folder.

That's because you're looking in your home directory (which is a common mistake).
~/Library = Users/yourname/Library/
/Library = HD Root/Library/

Aydinz
09-19-2008, 12:16 AM
thanks i found the file, except now it say: The document “com.apple.Boot.plist” could not be saved. You do not have appropriate access privileges. when i try to change it, but i have an admin account...

cgsheen
09-19-2008, 12:28 AM
thanks i found the file, except now it say: The document “com.apple.Boot.plist” could not be saved. You do not have appropriate access privileges. when i try to change it, but i have an admin account...

com.apple.Boot.plist
- "get info"
- look down at the bottom - "permissions"
- click the lock, enter admin password,
- click the "+", add yourself and/or administrators,
- click permissions choose read/write
- exit.

You also need the same permissions for the folder that it's in... (that means "change the permissions in the folder too"...)

Aydinz
09-19-2008, 12:34 AM
cool thank you :) and do i get rid of the whole <string>-v</string> or just the -v and do i replace it with anything?

cheers
thanks for the help btw

Aydinz
09-19-2008, 02:13 AM
thanks for all the help :) i just experimented and fixed it :) also i was just wondering is there a way to make darwin kernal automatically load OS X instead of me having to press enter to select it? ive managed to take out that 10sec thing which automatically selects it after 10secs but now it just goes straight to the select OS menu. i removed it by replacing the 10 in the com.apple.Boot.plist with a 0. so if there is anyway for it to auto select OS X it would be great if you could explain it to me :)

thanks!
very supportive forum :)
love the AMD dedication :D

Aydinz
10-04-2008, 06:27 AM
bump...anyone know?

Voyn1x
10-04-2008, 10:05 AM
On my system i have 2 as the delay. Once it counts down it boots the system. Are you saying yours doesn't? :confused:

Btw. imho you should always have a couple of secs in there to give you time to press f8 if needed.

Aydinz
10-04-2008, 12:08 PM
umm i editted it so that it took out the time, but i wanna make it so it does wait it just loads apple without me telling it to.

nfoav8or
10-05-2008, 01:12 AM
What kind of a partition map do you use with your drive? I'm guessing MBR since you also have windows or linux installed. if this is the case, run fdisk and change the active disk.

Aydinz
10-05-2008, 10:28 AM
they are on 2 diff hard disks, i have already set OS X as my first priority disk via bios. but it still asks me to select at startup even though OS X is the only option, will fdisk fix this?

nfoav8or
10-06-2008, 07:42 AM
if they are truly seperate hard drives (not just partitions) then the order to boot the hard drives you specify in the bios should take care of this. If you remove the XP drive from your computer (temporarily) does it ask you?

Dies
10-07-2008, 04:24 AM
That is really NOT a good idea because if you ever need to boot in verbose mode or into single user mode you would have an issue.

Set it to 1 second if you really feel the need, personally I have it at 3.

Sorry if I misunderstood what you want, I admit to just skimming through. :D

Aydinz
10-07-2008, 05:49 AM
so if i have it set at one second it will wait 1 sec and then auto select OS X this seems like the best thing to do from what i am hearing, thanks everyone for the help :)

R0GUE
10-07-2008, 08:26 AM
I have mine set to time out after 3 seconds - long enough if I need to boot with an alternative flag.

Aydinz
10-07-2008, 10:18 AM
thanks all your help has got got me the result i wanted :) my next challenge is to upgrade my AMD Hackintosh to 10.5.5 from the 5.2 it is at ATM :) im not quite sure, i tried AMD Software Updater but it couldnt connect to the server or something. so i dont know how else to go about it :)

nfoav8or
10-08-2008, 01:45 AM
be careful when looking to the usual places for updates for the AMD world. First... try not to get the combo updates that jump from 10.5.2 to 10.5.5. They don't work too well... they tend to freeze in the middle. Do you have the most up to date ASU? (still 0.5 as far as I know)...

Check: 1. When you run the normal Software Update, does it see all the possible updates?
2. Let the console run while you are trying to obtain the updates through ASU and report any errors.

Aydinz
10-08-2008, 06:20 AM
ok ill try that, when i run normal update it finds the 10.5.5 updates and all other updates like iTunes, Apeture, iPhoto and stuff, i have got everything up to date other then actual OS X. umm but to answer your 2nd question i need to get ASU, and i cant seem to be able to find a link to it :) could you post one please? Cheers, then ill post up what terminal says :D

R0GUE
10-08-2008, 08:27 AM
Here you go: http://rapidshare.com/files/142237317/ASU-0.5-Beta.zip.html

nfoav8or
10-08-2008, 08:53 PM
ASU is AMD Software Update. ;) like I said, though, you may have hit or miss success with simply using the AMD Software Update with getting your system from 10.5.2 to 10.5.5. I've tried with limited success in the past myself so I still recommend getting the individual updates. right now I am trying to get my site to better host them. (Note... this site is on my server so it may be slower than a normal website or it might just be down because I am working on it) For now, go to http://www.nfoav8or.com/downloads/ASU to just see an index of the files. Right click (ctrl click) to download the updates.