PDA

View Full Version : Best kernel?

Tobias
09-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Im updating from ZEPH's v2 (10.5.2) with ToH kernel. I have been downloading 4minds 10.5.4 update. But I decided I could just use Zeph's AMD util.

So, I HAVE efi string for my graphics card and all other hardware works well (correct kexts). Only real issue I have is 'sleep' just leaves a stuck, black screen.

Was wondering which kernel would be best for me to use at this juncture.
Any/all other advice would be welcome.

Thanks guys

-T

R0GUE
09-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Try and find the Stage XNU 9.4.0 kernel which provides sleep and good performance. The new Voodoo kernels are also definitely worth keeping an eye on.

Tobias
09-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Going after that StageXNU mofo'.
Getting an odd script error from Zeph's util when I select 'modify only' tho, might just have to bite the bullet and update. 10.5.5 here I come! :eek:

Also, know where I can find his auto patcher? Dead links are all I can find...

SAFE!
-T

Tobias
09-30-2008, 09:39 PM
StageXNU 9.4.0 AND modbin both caused kernel panic (used osx86 tools to install then boot chache and repair install) on 10.5.4 updated (troubled install tho...).
Gonna try to clean install 10.5.2 with 10.5.4 combo update and try them again.

Im assuming you thought StageXNU is the best choice for testing?

-T

nfoav8or
10-05-2008, 01:39 AM
make sure you have proper file permissions for your kernels, but also... make sure you have the right system.kext file with each associated file.

boot with -s
/sbin/mount -uw /
chmod -R 644 /[name of your kernel] && chown -R root:wheel /[name of your kernel]
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ && chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
reboot

also, read up on the voodoo kernel (like Rogue said)... I've had a lot of luck with this one myself and the future looks really bright for the newer developments to come.

EDIT: the link to the post for the patcher app is: http://www.infinitemac.com/f36/amd-patcher-0-2-beta-test-t1375/
This shows it being hosted off rapidshare.