PDA

View Full Version : Help with sleep - gfx doesn`t wake.

Taisto
10-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Guys can anyone help me with fixing my sleep function ? It seems that both xnu kernels are working in this matter, system sleeps and wakes properly, i know this because i hear it`s working ( adium for example ) but after waking from sleep my gfx shows image for 1-2 seconds and turns off. Im using Mobility Radeon X1600 in my laptop so i have limited possibilities, especially in bios setting. does anyone have any idea what to do to fix it ? I would be grateful.

Voyn1x
10-15-2008, 01:52 PM
The only thing I can suggest is if you are currently using an injector, try switching to an EFI string as you'll get more 'native' support.

R0GUE
10-15-2008, 05:08 PM
I was going to suggest the exact same thing that Voyn1x wrote. I suspect the injector kext unloads during sleep and is not being invoked when it's called upon after resuming. An EFI boot string should rectify this for you.

Taisto
10-15-2008, 08:58 PM
hmm, you are probably right - still, i don`t know how to do this, can you help me with this one thing more ?

nfoav8or
10-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Use EFIStudio or OSx86Tools...

PCWIZ has a great site with links and some help code here:
http://pcwizcomputer.com/ (http://pcwizcomputer.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=103&Itemid=45)

if you need help with either of these after reading a bit about it here (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=114349)... just ask.

EDIT: in regard to the second link... the part that I wanted you to read was what to do with the hex string once you had it... it needs to be placed in the com.apple.Boot.plist file near the bottom using this format:

<key>device-properties</key>
<string>##your-hex-string</string>

Taisto
10-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Tried it as it`s said in tutorial and i get black screen as a result :( Im doing something wrong, or it`s not working.

CyCLoBoT
10-20-2008, 03:45 AM
I was having similar issue to when I put mine to sleep. So I started using EFI string but now that I get the computer to come back up from sleep, the dock doesn't work after the computer wakes up again. I also find that they system somewhat becomes unresponsive. I am using the latest Voodoo kernel (Beta 2c). What could be causing this to happen?

Taisto
10-20-2008, 08:24 PM
I have no idea CycloBot, im using voodoo beta 2 aswell. Anyway - does anyone have EFI strings for Mobility Radeon X1600 by any chance ? Maybe im doing something wrong.

CyCLoBoT
10-20-2008, 09:24 PM
I have no idea CycloBot, im using voodoo beta 2 aswell. Anyway - does anyone have EFI strings for Mobility Radeon X1600 by any chance ? Maybe im doing something wrong.

I used EFI Studio to generate the string for my card and it injected the string to the bootlist file for me as well. Fairly simply process.

nfoav8or
10-20-2008, 09:38 PM
@ Taisto: Thats the beauty/pain of EFI. You can do it all yourself via the Terminal. It varies for everyone as it depends on your hardware setup. Use the Utilities for what they allow you to do, but ultimately you'll need to get the string and put it where it needs to be to make it work.

Taisto
10-21-2008, 09:30 PM
sorry for trouble again - so there`s no way to just "prepare" efi-string on other PC which i can just paste into Efi-studio if I can provide kexts (Atiinject is responsible for that right ? ) which are working on my pc ? i don`t think that i`ll manage to do it correctly cause it`s third time i`ve failed. I`m still noob in this though :)

nfoav8or
10-22-2008, 09:24 AM
sorry for trouble again - so there`s no way to just "prepare" efi-string on other PC which i can just paste into Efi-studio if I can provide kexts (Atiinject is responsible for that right ? ) which are working on my pc ? i don`t think that i`ll manage to do it correctly cause it`s third time i`ve failed. I`m still noob in this though :)

Nope... it doesn't work that way. Think of the hex string you place in the com.apple.Boot.plist file as a sort of road map within your PC. It has to know where to start, the routes through your MOBO and then where to end... so you see, it is completely dependent on an individuals system to create this for themselves. I'll give you a good example of why you need to do this every time you might install the OS:
I've been working with OSx86 for a while now and have "redone" my machines many many times, but I decided to save my "fixes" for faster rebuild times, however the hex string in that file barely ever (if at all... can't remember if it did at all, but I'll say "if" just in case) matched up and I had to redo it for the present system each time.

ATIinject is a kernel extension that isn't like EFI at all. With an EFI string you are dealing on a much simpler code base (hexidecimal... right around assembly code in a computer) than a kext which deals with Device IDs. These are simple to look at but more complex because of what they mean. A Device ID shows a previous knowledge of the system being located somewhere else and thus can be moved from computer to computer to allow others to have the same fix.

Hope that makes sense... its late here and I'm tired now. Off to bed.

Cheers.

Taisto
10-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Yeah, you`ve made it pretty clear for me now - and to be honest it turned out just in the way i was afraid it will. Well...think i`ll just keep trying, wish me luck :) And thanks for explanation.

nfoav8or
10-22-2008, 07:22 PM
no problem. And If you want, get on the IRC while you are doing it and and get some help from people in the room #InfiniteMac. I try to be in there more these days because it is a faster way of communicating and then you also get more input if it is a topic that you want to share with everyone in the room instead of a single person.