PDA

View Full Version : Only able to boot O/S when disc is left in DVD tray (Please help, thanks)

megaargon1
01-31-2008, 07:47 AM
I was able to successfully install AMD Leopard on my system with all bells, whistles, sounds, internet, graphics etc. However, I am only able to boot into the Operating System if I leave my OS Installation Disk in my DVD drive. Is there anybody that can suggest to me what I should do. I would greatly appreciate that. Thank you. Also, the grey screen with the operating system loading does not show. Is this because of the disc in my DVD drive, since it is booting off that? If I was to take out the Disc, the post I would receive is Boot from CD with no further process in loading the O/S. Lastly, I tried to change the boot order with Hard Disk first, however, that did not resolve the problem. Please let me know then, thanks.

Firewalk
01-31-2008, 08:11 AM
Hi there megaargon, i got past this issue by using the make bootable hd for leopard cd before i installed leopard.its on the web somewhere (google is your friend here). sadly though it does mean starting again (unless anybody here knows another way). Dual booting with xp or vista is easy too (just use separate hd and disconnect macosx before you do install, then use easybcd 1.5.1 in xp or vista to add osx to bootloader) its a pretty easy setup and also works with triple boot just install vista last and disconnect macosx on vista install..

Hope this info helps, i will be around if you need any further help..

Firewalk

megaargon1
01-31-2008, 09:26 AM
Well, is there any other way besides installing Windows and wiping the MacOSX I have currently installed?

megaargon1
01-31-2008, 10:09 AM
Firewalk, I don't have any other operating system installed on this hard drive. I am trying to make MacOSX my primary O/S. Please let me know then, thank you.

megaargon1
01-31-2008, 10:32 AM
somebody help plz, thank you.

cgsheen
01-31-2008, 10:33 AM
You've already tried making the install drive and partition bootable?

http://osx86.wikidot.com/known-issues#toc3

It doesn't work? There are some alternate instructions / methods here and at insanelymac...

Booting from the Install DVD, pressing F8, and starting in "single user mode" ( -s ) to use "fdisk" has usually worked for me. Once you get to the prompt:

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 ( only 1 hard drive? should be "0"...)
update
f 1 ( if your partition isn't 1, replace with actual number - If you partitioned GUID it might be 2 )
w
q
reboot

megaargon1
01-31-2008, 10:36 AM
Will this permanently fix the problem? Or would I have to do this any time I start my computer?

I tried doing this once and it said permission denied. When I go into single user mode will there be a terminal there?

Another thing, one last issue I may encounter after resolving this is my video driver. I installed the 8800 drivers included in the DVD, however I use 6600GT. Am I safe?

cgsheen
01-31-2008, 10:38 AM
Only once.

Ya, the "command prompt" is just like being in Terminal

cgsheen
01-31-2008, 10:39 AM
You need to be sure about the disk number and partition number.

megaargon1
01-31-2008, 10:40 AM
I should perform these procedures immediately after the completion of the installation right?

And since I have only one hard drive and one partition it would be zero/zero right?

Another thing, one last issue I may encounter after resolving this is my video driver. I installed the 8800 drivers included in the DVD, however I use 6600GT. Am I safe?

cgsheen
01-31-2008, 10:43 AM
No the disk number will be 0 and the partition number will be 1 - just like in the example I typed above

AFTER you type the "fdisk..." line , type "p" = it'll show you the partition structure. Make sure your install partition IS one. then proceed with the other commands.

megaargon1
01-31-2008, 10:48 AM
okay, so the installation just completed and the system restarted. I went into F8, and typed -s, and now it seems as if it is entering the installer again, is this normal? and then from here, I will be going into the terminal on the menu right?

cgsheen
01-31-2008, 10:50 AM
megaargon:Another thing, one last issue I may encounter after resolving this is my video driver. I installed the 8800 drivers included in the DVD, however I use 6600GT. Am I safe?

When you can boot from the HD, see what happens. If it halts with a "kernel panic", turn your computer off, restart, this time press Enter at the "countdown" and start in "safe mode" ( -x ). That should get you past the panic and into the Initial Setup. When you get to the Desktop, use Finder. Go to the "System / Library / Extensions" folder. Delete (Move To Trash) ALL the files that start with "geforce" or "gef" AND all files that start with "NVD" ( maybe just "NV" also ). EMPTY the Trash Bin (actually delete the files...) Then restart the computer.

megaargon1
01-31-2008, 10:52 AM
okay the terminal showed up, but the file or directory does not exist
I first typed sudo -s when the terminal appeared.

single user mode... fsck not done

cgsheen
01-31-2008, 10:53 AM
megaargon:okay, so the installation just completed and the system restarted. I went into F8, and typed -s, and now it seems as if it is entering the installer again, is this normal? and then from here, I will be going into the terminal on the menu right?

Well... No. But you can use the Terminal to do the same thing ( I hope )

Usually "single user" mode stops at a command prompt WAY before you get to the first Graphical Installer Screens...

megaargon1
01-31-2008, 10:53 AM
okay the terminal showed up (before the first graphical user as you stated in your last post), but the file or directory does not exist (supposedly)
I first typed sudo -s when the terminal appeared.

single user mode... fsck not done

cgsheen
01-31-2008, 10:57 AM
Don't use "sudo"

Start over - see if you can get to the command prompt by just using F8 (Enter) then -s (Enter)

megaargon1
01-31-2008, 11:05 AM
Great man! Thanks, now it works, after CAREFULLY entering the commands, :-) I think my NVIDIA Drivers are having a gltchy problem, because I don't see the gray screen with the apple on the center. Instead, when the system starts it is in verbose mode. Can this be my video driver then? If it is, how do we enter safe mode? Please let me know if there are other factors that can restrict the gray screen appearing as well, thank you very much.

cgsheen
01-31-2008, 11:05 AM
Excellent! Good job....

cgsheen
01-31-2008, 11:08 AM
It'll ALWAYS start in verbose mode the first time. Each time thereafter, it'll boot a little quicker. Be patient.

megaargon1
01-31-2008, 11:08 AM
How come I see users having the gray screen? Interestingly, I did not get a Kernal Panic. Is there anyway I can get the gray screen fired on my display?

cgsheen
01-31-2008, 11:10 AM
I don't get one on mine.

megaargon1
01-31-2008, 11:11 AM
Now when version 10.5."2" comes out, would I have to downlaod a new image from the torrent sites, or will I be able to automatically download and install the newer updates?

cgsheen
01-31-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm not really sure. I think I'm going to do a "fresh install" with the EFI and GUID the beta testers are talking about. We'll have to wait and see if there's an upgrade path...

megaargon1
01-31-2008, 11:15 AM
Great! I'll study that issue later, but thanks a lot. I will definitely share my experience and make a tutorial guide for our fellow users on the forums.

I think it is normal to see the the O/S failing to unmount our HDD volumes since this is not an actual intel-based mac.

cgsheen
01-31-2008, 11:20 AM
Ya, I was going to say: "be sure to help others that may face the same issues you've had" - I'm proud of you for sticking with it and figuring it out.

Someone would have written a "Dummy's Guide to Installing Zephyroth 10.5.1" EXCEPT - we've all be waiting for "version 2" which should cure some of these little problems. Then the guide will be kind of pointless... Still.

megaargon1
01-31-2008, 05:52 PM
True, I do agree with you. Then I should put the guide off 'till then, and see whether it is really necessary when version 2 comes out. Question: When do you think the release date is slated? I'm pretty sure the torrents for the final version are going to be on fire, right? Lastly, will this include 10.5.2, or we can update to that version in our later time?

megaargon1
01-31-2008, 07:01 PM
Interestingly, I am using GUID instead of MBR. And many users have reported that this fix can be resolvable on both GUID and MBR partitions. :-)

naquaada
01-31-2008, 08:33 PM
Rev 2 cures that problem that's no booting, but you can still select the GUID bootlock that it's not booting at all. So it's also not n00bie-safe ;)

Firewalk
01-31-2008, 09:01 PM
Hi megaargon, have you resolved this issue?.. As i said previously the easiest way i found was to use the make leopard bootable cd. just burn it to dvd and boot system from it. it then boots into an installer were you can then partition or format drives then install, when finished restart insert your osx dvd and install. this has worked perfect for me (i couldnt get the other methods to work)..

Firewalk

cgsheen
01-31-2008, 10:43 PM
megaargon:Interestingly, I am using GUID instead of MBR. And many users have reported that this fix can be resolvable on both GUID and MBR partitions. :-)Yes. I just re-installed on one of my PC's and used GUID. I had to use "fdisk" on it to make it bootable, just like I had to when it was MBR...