PDA

View Full Version : iATKOS v4i and Dell 2400

BiilyMac
11-27-2008, 08:51 PM
I have been trying for 5 weekends and I can not get iATKOS v4i to successfully install. I have a Dell 2400 with a P4, 1GB RAM, GeForce 6200 w/256 RAM and Broadcom 44xx NIC. I have one MBR 150 GB hdd, divided into three 50 GB partitions, 1 XP PRO, 1 UBUNTU (future) and HFS+. I have tried various all-in-one OS X install packages and only have any success with iATKOS v4i. Kalway fails to boot my PC from startup, Leo4all - I forget. Sometimes iATKOS succesfully completes its installation and sometimes it get nearly finished and appears to crash, I usually do not sit in front of the PC for 20 minutes waiting for the install to complete, The first weekend I probalbly watched every time but five weeks later it is getting old. I verify the DVD the first time I use it each day to make sure it is not scratched or whatever else. It also passes so I think the install crashes are dur to bad CUSTOM options.

I have read and read and then read some more and can not get the installation to produce a successful boot. With some selected options I can get -v rd=disk0s5 to work but this appears to be some kind of virtual load or something. I have tried all kinds of various options and none get me to a successful boot into OSX.

I erase the HFS+ partition every time then move on to customizing the install. This is where I am at a complete loss. After every installation I remove the DVD after powerup and get to the Darwin boot screen, I press any key and then enter -v, I get about a half of screen of information and then the PC crashes and reboots. I have tried to read what it says and from what I can tell there are no failure messages displayed before the reboot - it seems to be at a point when it would clear the screen and dispaly the install log in a smaller font. I iATKOS v4i boots up fine so I think this tells me that I can run OSX on my hardware but I just cannot get the thing to work.

So I would appreciate someone helping me select the abosulte correct options I should select in the iATKOS v4i CUSTOMIZE screen. Again my hardware is listed above.

If I have to try LEO's or KALWAY I will but I would like to hve the proper options. I am also thinking about trying a real OSX DVD and all the fun it would bring along.

Please someone help a guy get OSX loaded on his Dell 2400. Thanks in advance.

broncoboy
11-27-2008, 10:17 PM
I have a Dell inspiron 9400 & have successfully installed Leo4all with only minor probs. The sound , wifi &

ethernet are the only things I have not got working yet. But only installed Leo4all v.4.1 , 2 days ago & havent had

time to work on it yet. Give Leo4all a go, have had success with it on any intel or Amd machine I have tried

to install it on. It is a fantastic distro & I highly recommend it.

broncoboy

BiilyMac
11-28-2008, 05:17 PM
FYI Leo4All v3 fails initial install and cause reboot.

The last thing I see before the PC restart is something to do with ACPI? I think this is the problem I am having with all the other installation images - something about ACPI - my BIOS doesn't seem to have anything about this stuff either.

I am still lokking for Leo4All v4 - not always easy. Hope some others might have a suggestion with regards to iATKOS

naquaada
11-28-2008, 08:28 PM
Does the iATKOS image has any modifications, like custom background pictures or does it look like a retail DVD?

BiilyMac
11-29-2008, 04:40 AM
iATKOS looks originsl - the M5 checksum agreed.

But anywat - I just tried ideneb 10.5.5 and it worked the first time!!

I have trued just about every installer and this is the first that worked. Not many options as it knows what you have. I just finished getting updates and restart went okay.

After 5 weeks of trying I am now happy to start messing around.

I was alos able to get it working within GRUB so now I have a nice XP PRO, OSX, and UBUNTU triboot machine.

Let the testing begin, I wonder which OS I'll use more?

naquaada
11-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Vista, I think.

allan0308
02-21-2009, 11:05 AM
I have a Dell inspiron 9400 & have successfully installed Leo4all with only minor probs. The sound , wifi &

ethernet are the only things I have not got working yet. But only installed Leo4all v.4.1 , 2 days ago & havent had

time to work on it yet. Give Leo4all a go, have had success with it on any intel or Amd machine I have tried

to install it on. It is a fantastic distro & I highly recommend it.

broncoboy

What Version of OSX86 Leo4all?