PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle.nl introduces kexts.com!

Cybex
12-03-2008, 08:37 AM
Muzzle.nl introduces Kexts.com (http://www.kexts.com)

You want to install OSX on a PC, a so-called "Hackintosh", and what do you always need? Yes, the right kext files!

If you are familiar with Windows then you know that Windows needs drivers to operate correctly. This is the same with OSX, but Apple installs the right "drivers" for their own hardware in the OSX. So you will not need to install drivers when you have Apple hardware.

If you want to install OSX on a normal PC, then it's neccesary that you install the right drivers (kexts) for OSX. Otherwise OSX will not function well, or maybe it won't even boot at all!

The problem is finding the kexts you need for your motherboard. Finding the right kexts could be a long journey and might even cause you some stress. Muzzle.nl wants to solve this problem with a special website dedicated for finding the right kext files for your motherboard. You simply select the motherboard and hopefully somebody uploaded the right kext files for you! This website is created by Muzzle.nl and we are particilary proud of it!

Perhaps you are familiar with the Hackintosh community and you know that helping eachother is essential to succeed with the osx86 project. With kexts.com (http://www.kexts.com) there is no difference, so if you have a running system then please be so kind to upload the kexts you found to kexts.com and help others!

We tried to put as little barriers on kexts.com as possible, so the "helper" is not confronted with registration pages. Kexts.com (http://www.kexts.com) does not require you to register before uploading kexts. You can start right away!

Muzzle.nl

LawlessPPC
12-03-2008, 12:49 PM
nice work. I've been wanting this for a long time

nfoav8or
12-03-2008, 06:57 PM
I think this is a great idea as well, but I do have a few reservations about the "no registration to upload"...

Are the individual kexts being checked to work or is this an "I believe" adventure consisting of total trust.

I am hoping they have a knowledgable staff that will check these out to verify.

Cheers.

Cybex
12-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Thank you for your replies. The idea of kexts.com is to create an open community that shares kexts with eachother, somewhat similar as wikipedia. Yes, we will check the kexts for garbage or abuse, but we (obviously) cannot check all kexts for their functionallity.

We still need to find people that would like to share kexts, so if you got a working setup, then please share your knowledge on kexts.com and upload the kexts! Thank you very much!

Also, if you got suggestions, please let me know! :)

mercurysquad
12-12-2008, 12:02 AM
If it's anonymous, how do you make sure the kext is legit and not some rogue code? Since kexts run in kernel space with full access to hardware, it might not be something I want to use unless I can hold someone accountable if something blows up in my face.

Also, comments on the legality ?

c0rk007hck
12-10-2009, 02:59 PM
@mercurysquad
I'm one of the moderators there, and we take care of the files.

RetroRen
12-10-2009, 11:04 PM
@mercurysquad
I'm one of the moderators there, and we take care of the files.

Dude, you're almoust a year late with the reply :D