PDA

View Full Version : Installing O/S Updates via MacOSX Software Updater

megaargon1
02-01-2008, 05:48 AM
Well, I just ran the Mac OSX Update for the first time and selected all of the updates that were available to install. Upon restarting the system and after the update files were written to the hard disk, there were no problems logging back into the desktop. However, a few seconds later, the system stopped responding and the mouse cursor became a rainbow wheel leaving the system inresponsive. Can there be any reason to this? Or are the updates to blame? Is it even possible to install Apple updates on an Hackintosh?

Lastly, when 10.5.2 release, will we able to directly update our Hackintoshs? Please let me know, thank you.

R0GUE
02-01-2008, 06:07 AM
Its not advisable to install Apple's updates unless told otherwise (by the gurus). The updates, more often than not, will break our systems - particularly AMD based ones.

My advice, reinstall Leopard and take the time to research what you can and cannot do.

The 10.5.2 update will most likely require a PPF patch for the original ISO. However, the will probably be other methods - just not through 'Software Update' ;-)

cgsheen
02-01-2008, 07:28 AM
megaargon:Well, I just ran the Mac OSX Update for the first time and selected all of the updates that were available to install. Upon restarting the system and after the update files were written to the hard disk, there were no problems logging back into the desktop. However, a few seconds later, the system stopped responding and the mouse cursor became a rainbow wheel leaving the system inresponsive. Can there be any reason to this? Or are the updates to blame? Is it even possible to install Apple updates on an Hackintosh?

I've installed all the available updates (iTunes, Quicktime, GB, etc, etc...) EXCEPT for the "Security Update 2007....". I run Marvin's Utility after I do. Works for me...

megaargon1
02-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Do you think the update will be integrated in the Rev. 2 release of the AMD Leapard DVD?

R0GUE:Its not advisable to install Apple's updates unless told otherwise (by the gurus). The updates, more often than not, will break our systems - particularly AMD based ones.

My advice, reinstall Leopard and take the time to research what you can and cannot do.

The 10.5.2 update will most likely require a PPF patch for the original ISO. However, the will probably be other methods - just not through 'Software Update' ;-)

megaargon1
02-01-2008, 08:02 AM
Cgsheen, so if I wanted to go ahead and install the same updates as you did, what would marvin's utility do, and how would I configure that to make my updates workable? Please let me know, thank you.

cgsheen: megaargon:Well, I just ran the Mac OSX Update for the first time and selected all of the updates that were available to install. Upon restarting the system and after the update files were written to the hard disk, there were no problems logging back into the desktop. However, a few seconds later, the system stopped responding and the mouse cursor became a rainbow wheel leaving the system inresponsive. Can there be any reason to this? Or are the updates to blame? Is it even possible to install Apple updates on an Hackintosh?

I've installed all the available updates (iTunes, Quicktime, GB, etc, etc...) EXCEPT for the "Security Update 2007....". I run Marvin's Utility after I do. Works for me...

cgsheen
02-01-2008, 08:10 AM
As I understand it, Marvin's Utility looks for INTEL CPU_ID's in software files and replaces the ID's with AMD CPU_ID's. I would suppose it's so a program doesn't balk if it's expecting an Intel processor and yours happens to be an AMD...

I just know that certain programs have quit unexpectedly with an error message - I run Marvin's and they don't do that anymore.

megaargon1
02-01-2008, 08:18 AM
How would you install it? Did you have to install Leopard two times? I find that pretty odd.

This question is off-topic if you can please answer it from the best of your ability: When is Zephyroth Leopard 10.5.1 AMD - Rev. 2 going to be available online? Is Zephroth uploading the image right now? I am so eager to work this out. Please tell me, thanks.

cgsheen:As I understand it, Marvin's Utility looks for INTEL CPU_ID's in software files and replaces the ID's with AMD CPU_ID's. I would suppose it's so a program doesn't balk if it's expecting an Intel processor and yours happens to be an AMD...

I just know that certain programs have quit unexpectedly with an error message - I run Marvin's and they don't do that anymore.

cgsheen
02-01-2008, 08:28 AM
megaargon:How would you install it? Did you have to install Leopard two times? I find that pretty odd.

??? You can download Marvin's AMD Utility from the Wiki - put it in your Applications folder. It's just a little utility program that helps people with AMD CPU's.

You don't have to install Leopard twice... ( although I think most of us have actually had to install Leopard MORE than twice to get OSx86 running properly! )

megaargon1
02-01-2008, 08:31 AM
oh so would I have to run the utlity after installing the updates or before? What are the straight procedures? What is the link to the wiki? According to what you did, I should not install the security update right?

cgsheen: megaargon:How would you install it? Did you have to install Leopard two times? I find that pretty odd.

??? You can download Marvin's AMD Utility from the Wiki - put it in your Applications folder. It's just a little utility program that helps people with AMD CPU's.

You don't have to install Leopard twice... ( although I think most of us have actually had to install Leopard MORE than twice to get OSx86 running properly! )

cgsheen
02-01-2008, 08:49 AM
You would use the Utility only after you've installed new programs OR updated existing programs.

http://osx86.wikidot.com/utilities-resources

I haven't had trouble with any of the other updates. BUT, I've never even been tempted to download the Security Update!!!

( People always THINK they need to update... IF YOUR SOFTWARE IS RUNNING FINE - LEAVE IT ALONE! If iTunes 7.4.2 is working well for you, you don't necessarily HAVE to update to 7.6... )

megaargon1
02-01-2008, 09:32 AM
Okay, so don't restart after installing updates, right?

agrafuese
02-01-2008, 05:09 PM
Hey megaargon, I have all updates (including security updates) installed and running perfectly fine on my system. I am running EFIv8, however, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I can tell you that you must run Marvin's utility after installing the updates, and it is recommended that you run it from a different installation of OSX than the one you are patching. I cannot confirm what will happen if you run it on the same installation, as I have never tried it. I was lucky enough to have two installations, so I just ran it that way. There are a number of threads dedicated to this procedure, so a google or insanelymac search should provide some results you can work with. Good luck!