PDA

View Full Version : mouse/KB dead after 5.2 to 10.5.4 update

bassking511
12-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Hi, ill post specs below

i had Kalyway 10.5.2 AMD installed on my Toshiba notebook and besides audio and wifi not working, the system itself seemed stable. the boot time was kinda high, but i dont think it was of TOO much concern.

Anyway, i tried to use the 4MINDS 10.5.4 AMD update and i backed up my kexts to a folder using osx86 tools and using terminal... using this method http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/i...php/t89260.html

the update was succesful and booted fine but on the login screen i realized my mouse and keyboard were not working. so this is what i tried

1) boot with -x
2) with -x -v
3) with -s and
4) with -x and -s

attempt 1 and 2 booted. yet still no mouse/kb
attempts 3 and 4 would not boot. i cant make use of the terminal prompt? it get to the part with root etx where you enter the prompt but the error message "error: firewire unable to determine security mode; defaulting to full-secure ..." appears in the middle of the prompt section and stays there and will not let me enter any commands, thus i cant even try to restore my old kexts

any idea how to bypass the error or another way to restore my extensions? i dont have access to a usb mouse or keyboard at the moment

toshiba satellite A215-S7413
amd athlon 64 x2 tk-53 1.7ghz
AMD M690V chipset
hitachi 120gb HDD (dont have model #)
2.5Gb ddr2 667
radeon x1200 128mb
realtek audio, lan and wifi
chicony usb cam

nfoav8or
12-22-2008, 09:16 PM
it sounds like the USB kext is out of whack. have you tried fixing permissions when booting via -s?

bassking511
12-22-2008, 09:45 PM
it sounds like the USB kext is out of whack. have you tried fixing permissions when booting via -s?

well i know im getting a s usb error bc im getting the USBEHCI or however its spelled and it appears like a port listing all in yellow.....but to fix permissions...i need to be in the terminal prompt correct? with the root entry bc the firewire error is freezing in the middle of that and it wont let me input any commands...

nfoav8or
12-22-2008, 10:02 PM
boot up with your install DVD and use the Terminal there to do it.

bassking511
12-22-2008, 10:06 PM
boot up with your install DVD and use the Terminal there to do it.

i tried that already......didnt work...maybe i didnt back it up properly... oh well im jst going to do a new install but what should i do......
reinstall kalyway 10.5.2 or try and install iATKOS v4a that i downloaded. what would be better, since i want to follow your instructions for the voodoo kernel with the apple original update...

nfoav8or
12-22-2008, 10:21 PM
I would reinstall the Kalyway 10.5.2 distro... we can update it from there using Apple's updates once we've made the proper changes to the system as far as add-on kexts and voodoo kernel.

bassking511
12-22-2008, 10:35 PM
ok good bc i popped in the atkos version and although it loads alot quicker. the disk utility wasnt seeing my drives so back to kalyway it is... well now with the voodoo idea i wont have to use that 4minds update and hopefully my ps/2 support wont get broken...ill post back when i got clean install......

oh one last thought....to fix my wifi and audio should i fix it then update? or update then fix... same thing applies to my usb prob i had (read it was system.kext n kernel not matching, my system was 9.2.2 while kernel was 9.2.0)

thanks

nfoav8or
12-22-2008, 10:59 PM
update then fix... should work great for you.

bassking511
12-23-2008, 12:52 AM
update then fix... should work great for you.

ok well i got it installed again and actually i did it better...got batt status to show up and volume control yet sounds still wont come out

so now i install the voodoo then follow the rest fo the steps in your other thread?

nfoav8or
12-23-2008, 07:49 AM
the other thread you asked me about in the PM? yes.