PDA

View Full Version : Restarting Installation at "Do You Already Own a Mac"

Izrun
12-29-2008, 09:57 PM
Hi all,

I'm attempting to install LawlessPPC 10.5.4 and I am running into a strange problem. The first time I installed it on the computer it worked fine, but I'm trying to re-install it and now every time I click "continue" on the "Do You Already Own a Mac" screen it waits a while and restarts the video and begins the setup process again. I've tried running with -x -v and it acts the same (except no video because of safe mode). I'm at a loss as to what to do, and I know it should work because I did it the other day. If anyone has some advice I would be greatly appreciative.

FYI The reason I was re-installing it is because it wouldn't read any USB thumb drives and I hadn't installed the correct network drivers at the start, so I wanted to try installing with the right drivers.Thanks!

Motherboard: ECS KN1 Lite (Nforce4)
Processor: K8 something-er-other
Memory: 2 GB DDR
Installing from SATA DVD To SATA HD

Puttabong
12-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Hi Izrun,

Welcome to InfiniteMac - Please enjoy your stay! :)

Your issue is known as the Account Creation Loop error.

How to: Install Error loop at account creation

Issue: Upon install, the process hangs in an infinite (?) loop circling between chosing language and creating / transferring an user acount ("Do you already own a mac?").
According to the forum, the problem seems to be connected to problems concerning the network card.

Solution 1: Importing an account from an existing (Tiger) installation.

Solution 2: Booting with the flag "Graphics Mode"="640x480x32" The resulting low screen-resolution prevents the setup screen, thus skipping the "loop". As one is not able to create a new username, only the default "admin" is created. This can be changed later on.

Solution 3: Some people reported success with disabling the network card in the bios or disconnecting the cable.

Solution 4: Boot using "-s" flag then type:

/sbin/mount -uw /

passwd root

touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

reboot

pαuℓzurrr.
12-29-2008, 10:06 PM
For me the solution was to just disconnect the LAN cable, so try that first ;)