PDA

View Full Version : Internet and sound problems?

ulysses_609
12-31-2008, 10:55 PM
Ok I got a working install on my machine (finally) using the iPC distro..but now I need to get my internet working and hopefully my sound. Also I would like my PS/2 mouse and keyboard to work. I have a USB mouse and keyboard for now. I tried installing the PS/2 drivers during the install but it didnt work. My computer's specs. are in my sig. thanks!

lanceomni
01-01-2009, 12:15 AM
Have you tried any kexts for your Audio or LAN?

You can try nForceLAN.kext linked to in my signature.

Manually Installing Kexts (replace yourkextgoeshere.kext with the file to install)
1. Remove any related kexts in /System/Library/Extensions/ This is important especially with video related kexts.
2. Copy yourkextgoeshere.kext to /System/Library/Extensions
3. Enter your admin password when prompted
4. In Terminal write: sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/yourkextgoeshere.kext
sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
5. Restart using the boot flags:
-v -f -FBasically all of the drivers reside in the Extensions folder and OSX will create a Cache file (Extensions.mkext) with the necessary kexts to save some time on startup.
What we are trying to do is make 100% for sure that the cache is recreated to include the new kext. So basically we are deleting the cache file, booting with -f to force OSX to pull from the Extensions Folder and not the Cache, booting with -F (note the capital letter F) this ignores your startuppreferences stored in com.apple.boot.plist and booting with -v to startup in verbose mode so that we can see any errors that may arrise.

Though in your case most of these files are additions. You may in the future run into situations where you will need to replace a kext. I would highly recommend that you back the file up to say your desktop so that you can restore it if you have problems.

If your still having problems you can repair disk permissions in Disk Utility or by using Terminal with the following:
sudo diskutil repairPermissions /This method can be used to install any kext you want.

ulysses_609
01-01-2009, 12:28 AM
I havent tried any kexts yet..So do I just drop the entire unzipped file in to the extensions folder? or how do I do it?

nfoav8or
01-01-2009, 04:12 AM
unzip the file (to wherever) then copy it to your /System/Library/Extensions/ folder and follow all the directions given above... this installs your kexts and upon reboot (and sometimes sooner depending on the kextloads you do) they will be added in with the boot sequence.

ulysses_609
01-03-2009, 07:06 PM
ok so I got my internet working. but can you guys help me get my sound working too? also my display isn't very nice its kind of slow when scrolling through things on the internet and moving windows around. Is there any way to fix this??

lanceomni
01-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Go to About this Mac and select More Info then Graphics and Displays. Is QE enabled?

nfoav8or
01-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Go to About this Mac and select More Info then Graphics and Displays. Is QE enabled?

the built-in 6100 series doesn't support QE so he needs a new dedicated video card to get full support. We've discussed this at his other thread. ;)

... can you guys help me get my sound working too? ...

I can't remember if we determined this (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00906137#N258) was your board...

if it is, look for the ALC888 package within the install DVD's /System/Installation/Packages/ folder for it.

lanceomni
01-03-2009, 07:58 PM
@Nfoav8or - Where is my mind at. We have talked about the 6150 several times. ;)

@ulysses_609
Is this your motherboard? ECS MCP61PM-HM as Nettle 2 I think is HP's re branding of the ECS board.

ulysses_609
01-04-2009, 06:39 PM
I can't remember if we determined this (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00906137#N258) was your board...

if it is, look for the ALC888 package within the install DVD's /System/Installation/Packages/ folder for it.
Yeah thats my board.. but how do I get the ALC888 package from the install DVD??

lanceomni
01-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Place the disk in your computer and then set the finder to view hidden files. You can do that using the following command in Terminal:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
And then use this command to return to normal:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
I however prefer this handy widget that will do it for you ;) Google "hidden file widget" It is available on Apple's site but id rather not link directly to Apple's site.

nfoav8or
01-05-2009, 09:16 PM
I personally use MainMenu (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/17111/mainmenu) from MacUpdate (http;//www.macupdate.com) as it resides in my menu bar and I can assign quick batch tasks to it as well as perform a lot of other useful features. MainMenu -> Finder -> Show Invisibles. Comes in very handy to have it be that quick. Of course there are other ways to show hidden files but this is just preference.

Also, for navigating the to Installation folder of the Install DVD you could just launch a Finder window then use the Go menu: Go -> Go To Folder (or [shift]+[apple/cmd]+[G]) then type in:
/Volumes/iPC 10.5.6 Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/

lanceomni
01-05-2009, 09:31 PM
@nfoav8or
I personally use MainMenu (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/17111/mainmenu) from MacUpdate (http://http/;//www.macupdate.com) as it resides in my menu bar and I can assign quick batch tasks to it as well as perform a lot of other useful features. MainMenu -> Finder -> Show Invisibles. Comes in very handy to have it be that quick. Of course there are other ways to show hidden files but this is just preference.
Actually Ill have to take a look at this. I know I recommend the Dashboard Widget but to tell the truth that and the calculator the only Widgets I use. Im not a real big fan of the Dashboard.

Also, for navigating the to Installation folder of the Install DVD you could just launch a Finder window then use the Go menu: Go -> Go To Folder (or [shift]+[apple/cmd]+[G]) then type in:
/Volumes/iPC 10.5.6 Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/

And yet another useful piece of information. ;)

nfoav8or
01-05-2009, 09:33 PM
And yet another useful piece of information. ;)

nothing but the best ;) I'm not here to shortchange anyone :-B

lanceomni
01-05-2009, 09:39 PM
nothing but the best ;) I'm not here to shortchange anyone :-B

Are you kidding bring on. Ill be truthful. Im trying to help here:

10% because I received a great deal of help getting my machine running.
90% because Im using it as a means to learn as much as possible.

nfoav8or
01-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Are you kidding bring on.

huh? my last post wasn't implying that anyone else is giving bad advice or trying to shortchange anyone.

Hell, I'm glad we've got people like you here willing to actually give back some of the knowledge you've gained over the years.

I found that by being active in the forums keeps your eyes open to the new methods and various things out there that the x86ers have created as work-arounds for OS X.

EDIT: it also helps keep you on your toes to make sure your system is always supported. knowing the basics is good for some but not enough for the rest of us who keep coming back. hence -> :-B

lanceomni
01-05-2009, 09:56 PM
huh? my last post wasn't implying that anyone else is giving bad advice or trying to shortchange anyone.

Never thought you did. I was saying bring on the useful information. ;) I don't want to wave the old Windows philosophy of having 10 ways to do 1 thing but I really want to know those 10 ways... If that made any sense.

ulysses_609
01-06-2009, 04:49 AM
Ok now one other problem. I was downloading the iPhone SDK and it was almost done and I got a kernel panic. Was it because of the size of the file? It was 1.57 GB. I also got a kernel panic after installing the audio kext it asked me to restart and it worked fine then when I wanted to just shut it down I got the kernel panic. Any ideas??

nfoav8or
01-06-2009, 04:55 AM
Ok now one other problem. I was downloading the iPhone SDK and it was almost done and I got a kernel panic. Was it because of the size of the file? It was 1.57 GB.

no. if you look around the forum at the nForce LAN kexts you'll see that it isn't perfect. I'd recommend going with another LAN pci card (see the wiki (http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.5.2#Wired_.28Ethernet.29) for good ideas on which one to get) as you are going to keep having kernel panics due to this. (in my own personal research with this, it is based on spikes in the downloads, but this isn't confirmed yet)

I also got a kernel panic after installing the audio kext it asked me to restart and it worked fine then when I wanted to just shut it down I got the kernel panic. Any ideas??

Not really sure why you are getting kernel panics with this. The installer shouldn't have messed with anything except for adding a known working kext. If you wanted to stray from that kext you could always use Taruga's AppleHDA patcher. I could PM you with this stuff if you want.

delian7
01-06-2009, 06:26 AM
Internet finally works with your nForce Lan Driver.. i have mcp61 onboard lan Realtek RTL8201N and this is the very first time it worked.. However :( i have a problem, while i can surf the internet, i can not access my network, and my network printer. so any help would truly be appreciated.

thanks

btw: when i first installed the driver, time machine didn't work, but that go fixed with a code in terminal:

sudo mv /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist.old

and i've also installed a modifyed IONetworkingFAMILY.kext but still no network.

my specs can be found:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01077676&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3440614&lang=en#

my system profiler page can be found here:
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll4/delian7/Picture2.png

i have 10.5.6, AMD, Chameleon Bootloader, 9.5 voodoo

xiozio
05-01-2009, 03:39 PM
i have 10.4.10 macdotnub mac on the pc , and have no sound , my motherboard is msi p15 ,with a c-media audio card with the below details ..how can i make sound work .please help
-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: C-Media Rear Panel Audio
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_434D&DEV_4980&SUBSYS_98801019&REV_0900
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: cmudax.sys
Driver Version: 5.12.0001.0009 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Debug
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Date and Size: 6/20/2005 14:09:46, 1425152 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: C-Media Electronics Inc.
HW Accel Level: Full
Cap Flags: 0xF5F
Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 192000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 17, 16
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 17, 16
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX™ 2.0 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
I3DL2™ Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
Sensaura™ ZoomFX™: Yes
Registry: OK
Sound Test Result: Not run