PDA

View Full Version : Kalyway 10.5.2 won't boot

Rooks
01-01-2009, 02:10 PM
i've installed kalyway 10.5.2 with hdd mode ide + native.

installs file. does not boot , always boots into windows xp or vista whatever i install.

tried a lot ways of dual boot. various methods turn into different problems.

during installation there's no option to select bootloader when installating to a pre-partitioned hard drive, bootloader option is only available for hard drives with no partitions on.

any piece of advice plz.

Rooks
01-01-2009, 03:17 PM
mac osx only starts when booting from kalyway dvd using rd=diskXsY option.

how 2 fix dvd boot and multibooting with both xp and vista.

nfoav8or
01-01-2009, 09:01 PM
are you booting windows and OS X from the same HD via different partitions or from separate Hard Drives?

for separate HDs, check out my How-To guide (http://www.infinitemac.com/f19/how-to-dual-boot-windows-and-os-x-t1803/).

for the same HD, we will need more info... like what your partition layout is, what partition table scheme it is in (GUID or MBR), what you want to boot ad default, etc.

it just sounds like the bootloader isn't being noticed for OS X so you can't boot unless you use the install DVDs bootloader (letting it timeout). This is an easy fix by reinstalling the bootloader (usually chameleon (http://chameleon.osx86.hu/)).

Rooks
01-02-2009, 10:02 AM
are you booting windows and OS X from the same HD via different partitions or from separate Hard Drives?

for separate HDs, check out my How-To guide (http://www.infinitemac.com/f19/how-to-dual-boot-windows-and-os-x-t1803/).

for the same HD, we will need more info... like what your partition layout is, what partition table scheme it is in (GUID or MBR), what you want to boot ad default, etc.

it just sounds like the bootloader isn't being noticed for OS X so you can't boot unless you use the install DVDs bootloader (letting it timeout). This is an easy fix by reinstalling the bootloader (usually chameleon (http://chameleon.osx86.hu/)).

i'm using my 1st hdd (disk0 it is). on primary partition was windows xp, on 2nd partition vista. osx was installed on the last drive first but now i've installed osx to primary partition (c:\), i thought it might fix but it did not, same problem even now. as for using patches or something like that, i'm totally new to that, don't know how to use a patch with install dvd. image will show u my current hdds in diskutil.

currently i'm running kalyway 10.5.2, i want to run iatkos 5i 10.5.5, but it seems that there are ata driivers missing in dvd (i think) bcoz kalyway 10.5.2 picks both of my sata hdds but iatkos 5i gives infamous error "Still waiting for root device".

it does not matter, what to run but bootloader problem is my main prob.

can u plz explain in detail, how to fix this.

matrix123
01-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Installing Kalyway in HDD with Vista partition

You may have to install Kalyway with MRB instead of GUID. You will see this option during customize install.

After you install kalyway, you may not be able to boot to Vista from Darwin. In this case use Vista rescue disk and go to command prompt and type
Diskpart
Select drive # (# could be 0 or 1 and you can see this using list disk)
Select partition # (select vista partition number same way like above using list partition)
active
exit
bootrec /rebuildbcd
You may have to type Y to accept changes.
Diskpart
select drive #
select partition # (kalyway partiton)
active
exit

Now you can boot from darwin both vista and kalyway.

i'm using my 1st hdd (disk0 it is). on primary partition was windows xp, on 2nd partition vista. osx was installed on the last drive first but now i've installed osx to primary partition (c:\), i thought it might fix but it did not, same problem even now. as for using patches or something like that, i'm totally new to that, don't know how to use a patch with install dvd. image will show u my current hdds in diskutil.

currently i'm running kalyway 10.5.2, i want to run iatkos 5i 10.5.5, but it seems that there are ata driivers missing in dvd (i think) bcoz kalyway 10.5.2 picks both of my sata hdds but iatkos 5i gives infamous error "Still waiting for root device".

it does not matter, what to run but bootloader problem is my main prob.

can u plz explain in detail, how to fix this.

Rooks
01-02-2009, 02:03 PM

You may have to install Kalyway with MRB instead of GUID. You will see this option during customize install.

After you install kalyway, you may not be able to boot to Vista from Darwin. In this case use Vista rescue disk and go to command prompt and type
Diskpart
Select drive # (# could be 0 or 1 and you can see this using list disk)
Select partition # (select vista partition number same way like above using list partition)
active
exit
bootrec /rebuildbcd
You may have to type Y to accept changes.
Diskpart
select drive #
select partition # (kalyway partiton)
active
exit

Now you can boot from darwin both vista and kalyway.

no, this is not the problem, after install, it's kalyway, which is not booting. when i install kalyway, restart and vista loads, it seems that osx installation does not write itself to mbr, am i correct?

about the other thing, during kalyway installation, in disk util under partition there's option button which allows to choose between guid or mbr, but this option button is only available when we are using disk utility to create partitions, am i right?

now i'm going to try with 1st hdd using 2 primary partitions 1 for xp and other for osx. before i was using only 1 primary for xp and was installing osx to logical partition.

i've tried installing osx to primary with only 1 os on the hdd & that was osx, but kalyway 10.5.2 did not boot from even primary partition, it did not write itself to mbr. and that is the problem.

matrix123
01-02-2009, 02:16 PM
When you install Kalyway, choose customize install which will be located at the bottom. Disk utility is located in the top menu bar. when you customize install, you can choose vanila kernel, SSE2, audio and video driver, and boot section GUID or MBR. If you did not install MBR how can you boot to HDD Kalyway? While installing do it slowly you will see Customize button appear at bottom of the window.

Rooks
01-02-2009, 02:27 PM
When you install Kalyway, choose customize install which will be located at the bottom. Disk utility is located in the top menu bar. when you customize install, you can choose vanila kernel, SSE2, audio and video driver, and boot section GUID or MBR. If you did not install MBR how can you boot to HDD Kalyway? While installing do it slowly you will see Customize button appear at bottom of the window.

exact
of course, there are these options you mentioned vanila kernel, SSE2, audio and video drivers but i did not notice "boot section GUID or MBR" in customize options. can u plz be more specifically describe, under which section i can find "boot section GUID or MBR".

this is the point which none of the other notice. :eek:
10x

matrix123
01-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Ok see the picture if am able to show or google how to install kalyway

http://lifehacker.com/assets/resources/2008/01/2217617716_d831b309a7_b1.php

nfoav8or
01-02-2009, 07:20 PM

MBR/GUID partitioning has nothing to do with when you "customize" your install. You don't even have to install in order to select whether to format/repartition.

i did not notice "boot section GUID or MBR" in customize options. can u plz be more specifically describe, under which section i can find "boot section GUID or MBR".

When you boot into the DVD, select from the menu bar Utilities -> Disk Utility. From here select the DISK (not volume/partition) you want to install to. You will need to repartition this disk so click the tab that says "Partition"... click on "Options" then select MBR partition scheme then "OK". From here you can also select how many partitions you want on your disk, the size and FORMAT (important for windows partition) of each, and rename them accordingly.

Now, I would suggest you restart and install Windows first (to the second partition/volume as you mentioned) then install OS X afterward (to the first partition/volume) as OS X will install its chameleon bootloader (if it doesn't install chameleon then do what matrix123 suggested and boot using the DVD to get in to the OS X system and install chameleon from the site I mentioned above) and allow you to select at boot which partition to boot from if you interrupt the booting timeout.

All should be well with the world now.