PDA

View Full Version : At a loss for Mac on my homebuilt PC

Haldier
01-01-2009, 09:25 PM
I have a homebuilt MSI K9A2 CF motherboard.
AMD Athlon 64X2 5000+
AMD 790X Chipset
Nvidea 9800 GT main card
Nvidea 8800 GT secondary card

I get the install of lawlessppc and Leo4all to go all the way through the install process, and yet at restart both hang at almost the same time... all the other computers in the house are Apple except my Tower.

How do i make this work? my next upgrade for my tower was supposed to be a new quad core processor but if this wont run a dual core i am not ready to try quad core, i would prefer to just have it running mac.

nfoav8or
01-01-2009, 09:31 PM
I have a homebuilt MSI K9A2 CF motherboard.
AMD Athlon 64X2 5000+
AMD 790X Chipset
Nvidea 9800 GT main card
Nvidea 8800 GT secondary card

I get the install of lawlessppc and Leo4all to go all the way through the install process, and yet at restart both hang at almost the same time...

at what point is this? are you booting up with -v ? what is it hanging/freezing up on?

My guess is because of the chipset. How did you install... IDE or SATA DVD drive? what is the hard drive... IDE or SATA?

Haldier
01-01-2009, 11:15 PM
Currently have Lawless installed and it hangs EVERYTIME in the exact same place

Installed on a SATA DVD Drive

It is on a IDE Hard drive (secondary drive i had laying around) it hangs on

"Unknown code SIGSEGV code 0"

FirstHackTosh
01-02-2009, 12:59 AM
This error means, no cpuid patches applied.

Haldier
01-02-2009, 01:04 AM
so how do i apply a cpuid patch? i am GREAT with pc.. MAc.. not so much

nfoav8or
01-02-2009, 04:43 AM
Currently have Lawless installed and it hangs EVERYTIME in the exact same place

Installed on a SATA DVD Drive

It is on a IDE Hard drive (secondary drive i had laying around) it hangs on

"Unknown code SIGSEGV code 0"

Have you enabled AHCI for your IDE hard drive in your BIOS?

Patching isn't what "you" need to do... its what the installer should have done during the install if the AMD Patch was applied correctly. I'm wondering if you customized properly during the install. Can you tell us what you selected?

have you tried any other distros... iPC would be the best option for you right now with the new VOODOO kernel in place.

Haldier
01-02-2009, 06:45 AM
I will boot it up again and check my Bios but i honestly didnt change anything in the bios from the moment i started the install, and there wasnt any "choices" during the install save what drive to write to.

and thank you for all your help, it is invaluable.

LawlessPPC
01-02-2009, 03:21 PM
at the begining of the install you will see a customise button at one point click that and it will give you options on which drivers to use

lanceomni
01-02-2009, 03:48 PM
When you get into the installer and select the drive to install to there should be a "Customize" button. You want to make sure that you only select what you are sure will work as it is better to not install a driver then install the wrong one or multiple drivers in a category. You should find the AMD patches in these options.

[EDIT] Well I see you beat me to it lawless. That will teach me to refresh the thread before I reply.

Haldier
01-05-2009, 11:42 PM
what options should i be choosing for an nvidia 8800 gts and 9800 gts?

and is the sb600 chip set in the VIA and SB chipset driver kexts?

lanceomni
01-06-2009, 01:46 AM
what options should i be choosing for an nvidia 8800 gts and 9800 gts?
Personally I wouldn't choose anything. Not selecting anything for graphics will give you default 1024x768 no QE/CI but your in OSX and you can fix this problem after the fact. If you select the wrong driver or multiple drivers for video you are going to run into issues.
Once you in OSX you can install one of the various drivers (kexts) available. A good choice would be NVinject available here: http://nvinject.free.fr/ Your card may require a few other things to be done then just installing the kext. This is explained on their site. Once you get up and running and have downloaded the file we can help you out with that.

and is the sb600 chip set in the VIA and SB chipset driver kexts?
This will be a problem as certain distros do not support sb600.

I know the below distro should work.

LawlessPPC-10 5 4-Phenom-AMD
This image is a remixed Zephyroth 10.5.2 rev2 release.
If this DVD does not boot on your system then its not meant to be installed on your system!!!

Changes to Zephyroth release are as follows.

*** Chameleon bootloader Ver 1.0.11 (used for DVD booting & installed on drive by default.)
*** Modbin 9.4.0 Kernel SSE3 (installed by default)
*** Alc888 (audio) 3 port, 6 ports + Digital (Fixed)
*** NTFS-3G latest version (solves slow shutdowns)
*** ATI SB600 Issue (solves still waiting for root device when trying to install)
*** ATI HD-3650 Support (QE/CI Enabled) No white menus!!!)

We have discussed installing to 790FX/sb600 motherboards recently here: http://www.infinitemac.com/f5/install-10-5-6-on-790fx-sb600-with-t1861/ but it has not really gone anywhere yet.

You might also want to add your system specs to your signature. Be sure to add your chipset.

Haldier
01-20-2009, 02:41 AM
I am downloading the new ISO now, and will try it out first thing in the AM. Thanks for the info so far.... I am hoping this will be the home server/ house brain.

Paul

Haldier
01-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Ok it runs slim, but will not boot with audio or video kext from install disk... i have 3 monitors, 1 22" on the 9800 and 2 19" on the 8600 and i wondered what kext i need to run those and what kext for the alc888 sound.

and most important how do i install Kext's? i have done lots with Dos but nothing with apple terminal. so i am lost as to how the process works.

paul