PDA

View Full Version : Boot works only sometimes (randomly)

crawle
02-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Hey guys,

I've got a very, very strange problem. I had it in my old JaS Tiger to. I'll describe it:
When I boot, it appears my Windows Bootloader. I select "OSX86" and the Darwin Bootloader appears. I click double-enter (for start without any flags), and in 1 of 5 cases it works. It's loading the kexts, the Apple Screen appears and "great"!

But only in 1 of 5 cases (circa). In the other 4 cases, following siutations can be (also randomly!):

- the "earliest" problem: "Calibation failed with two attempts!" And a line above "We are going backwards ---> restarting timing" (see attachment)
- the "a little bit later" problem: When the kexts are loaded (and before the Apple Screen appears) it just reboots. Not very nice ...
- the "latest" problem: a kernel panic (picture follows) (sometimes a "double panic")

... and sometimes my USB-Wireless keyboard doesn't even work in the Windows Bootloader.

These three errors are not very beatiful. Sometimes I can boot at first go, sometimes I have to try it 5,6,7 times. I try it with flags like "cpus=1", "-v", "-f", "-x", but I think it's still randomly. That's not very mac-like ;-)

--

My second problem is, that I've installed an AC97 kext for my VIA-onboard sound - the sound works perfectly - but I can't change the volume at my PC. That's not very mac-like, too ;-) (problem was in JaS-Tiger, too)

I hope you can help me. First of all with the Boot-Problem ...

greetings,
-crawle

crawle
02-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Alright. I solved the problem with my audio. I had to choose in the System Config as an Output-Device PCM instead of SPDIF.
But my boot problems aren't very nice still ...

naquaada
02-02-2008, 11:20 PM
Hmmm... I think it means 'calibration'. But what must be calibrated before the boot-process? I never saw this screen, it always flipped through so fast...

USB-Keyboard never worked in BIOS or Windows bootloader for me. That's why I always wanted to get PS/2 working. Don't you have an adapter?

crawle
02-03-2008, 12:55 AM
The USB-Keyboard isn't the problem, because it works only very rare not.
Mh, it's a pitty. So I'll have to be patient and try it until it works ;-)

naquaada
02-03-2008, 07:01 AM
Have you tried another USB port? Some USB ports have not enough power for some devices, especcially on Asus boards.
How about a Wackelkontakt? ;)

crawle
02-03-2008, 04:35 PM
A 'Wackelkontakt'? You mean a loose contact? (Thanks Leo.org)
I don't think so...
But to my Boot-Problem: I think, when the PC off a while (while night o.s.), it boots nearly every time. Hm..?

P.s.: @all not-german: "Wackelkontakt" is a loose contact. Remember this, when you ever be to Germany - very useful ;-)

naquaada
02-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Hm, reminds me at the Amiga-times: If you'd switched it off and on with a short delay the computer won't work at all or you got keyboard error codes (shown by the caps Lock LED). In one case a reset-proof RAM Disk wasn't erased - after turning off the computer!

crawle
02-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Ah, so how can I find out, if my RAM Disk wasn't erased?

naquaada
02-03-2008, 04:45 PM
No, this was on Amiga. I don't think PC's using RAM disks anymore in these times.

crawle
02-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Ah, you're right, sorry.
So, I'll try to keep a little bit time between booting ;-)
Thanks naquaada...

naquaada
02-03-2008, 04:52 PM
How about BIOS settings? Have you overclocked your computer? MacOS don't like it, >5% could cause instability, especcially during booting.
Try to reset your BIOS to defaults, if the problem is still there. You also can erase it completely (set the erase jumper on the mainboard, remove battery and pull the power plug for about 10 secs). Ist there a BIOS update available for your computer? What do you have 4 a board?

crawle
02-03-2008, 04:58 PM
EPOX 9HEAI Rev 3 Mainboard

Mh... where can I find a BIOS update (Phoenix) for my board, and how can I install it?
I'll try with the BIOS-Resetting (only settings). It's not overclocked yet, but I planned to do so - I'll let it stay ;-)

-crawle

EDIT: 'scuse me ;-)

naquaada
02-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Which board manufacturer??? (Edit your post)

crawle
02-04-2008, 04:44 AM
@naquada: I've edited it this morning ;-)