PDA

View Full Version : OSX, Windows 7, Linux Triple Boot Query

prashanthv
01-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Hi everyone. This is the first time I'm going to be attempting an OSx86 install so I had some questions.

I am going to be using one SATA HDD with 3 partitions, one each for OSX(which I will mainly use on this hard disk), Windows 7(beta version so I might remove or replace it later) and Linux (64 Studio or Ubuntu Studio).

This will however not be my main boot up drive. I am using Windows XP on a seperate disk (IDE not SATA).

My configuration is :
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (Has got SSE 1,2 & 3)
MSI RS482M2 Motherboard (MS-7093 according to CPU-Z)
2GB DDR400 RAM
1x 120 GB IDE HDD (Which is my primary Windows boot and I do not want to make any changes to it)
2x 120GB SATA HDDs (One of them will host the aforementioned triple boot)
Creative Audigy Sound Card (Although I can fall back on the onboard Realtek one if drivers are an issue)
ATI Express 200 (Onboard Graphics)

So basically what I need to know is

1. Which Osx86 install to use? I am leaning towards Leo4all. My only requirement so far is to run Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio on it.
2. What order to install the operating systems on the drive?
3. Any driver issues I might have.
4. Is there a way I can get a boot loader (I prefer the windows one) to give me the option to either boot into the HDD with just windows or the HDD with Triple boot at which point a second bootloader would give me the 3 options?

I am fairly confident with installing other OSes and have done so with loads of linux and windows versions but most of my problems have been the bootloaders. That's kinda why I prefer windows one because I can muck around with it a fair bit.

Thanks in advance for any help. Cheers.

nfoav8or
01-03-2009, 12:13 PM
well I'm having doubts that Final Cut Pro will run on this system unless you upgrade the graphics. The ATI 200 series might not give you enough juice to support Core Image / Quartz Extreme (CI/QE) but other than that, any distro that supports the SB400 series will work with this board. Most distros should support at least the basic hardware.

Install in whatever order you know the systems will work and the priority you want to give each system... but when you install, install the last partition's OS first, the middle partition second, and the main one last (for bootloader simplicity).

to fit the last request, use your windows XP drive with this [How-To] (http://www.infinitemac.com/f19/how-to-dual-boot-windows-and-os-x-t1803/) and then make your system see all the partitions on the other drive using this method for each partition and it should have you up running in no time.

prashanthv
01-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the reply.

This might be a stupid question but, Is there any work around to the Graphics situation?
I only ask this because I have previously been able to patch Nvidia drivers to fool Avid into thinking my graphics card was better than it actually was.

Or would I be able to get Final Cut Express to work?
Or what is the absolute cheapest graphics card I need to buy to use Final Cut on my system?

Again, thanks in advance.

nfoav8or
01-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the reply.

This might be a stupid question but, Is there any work around to the Graphics situation?
I only ask this because I have previously been able to patch Nvidia drivers to fool Avid into thinking my graphics card was better than it actually was.

Or would I be able to get Final Cut Express to work?
Or what is the absolute cheapest graphics card I need to buy to use Final Cut on my system?

Again, thanks in advance.

patching the kexts in OS X would be a long tedious task that probably wouldn't end with the results you wanted. You will need CI/QE to run either of these applications so a new card would be the way to go.

How cheap are you talking? The HCL has a great list of hardware supported (since 10.5.2... yes, this needs to be updated... but it all still works)
I did a little searching on NewEgg.com (this is not a plug... simply reference) and came up with the GeForce 7200GS 256MB PCI-e (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130098) for around $25USD. You can probably find others out there that might work and be a few buck cheaper but not so easy to get working. Use NVinject or NVKush or NVinstaller to get it working.

if you need any help with any of this, just ask. Happy Buying.

prashanthv
01-05-2009, 01:47 PM
I've been checking out a few graphics cards and it's basically down to GeForce 7200 or 7600. Both on PCI-e.

Between these two which one would be easier to get working?

lanceomni
01-05-2009, 03:52 PM
The suffix at the end also plays a big roll. (There is a big difference between 7600 GT vs 7600 GS)

I am running FCP 5.1 on a 7600GT 256MB card and it works like a charm.

Even if you could install FCP by tricking it into thinking your have met the requirements, you will still run into issues. Its not a matter of performance. If you try to even run FCP it will crash. The same thing with some Adobe programs. You start the program up and it crashes on a thread related to loading programs's GUI.

[EDIT] Add your specs to your signature. That will help us out down the road. http://www.infinitemac.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_user_profile#faq_vb3_signatures_av atars

Also you may want to pull your Audigy card and use onboard for now. Though I have heard of some success with certain cards. Ill try to find the links for you. You want to tackle each problem one at a time.

prashanthv
01-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Thanks. I am definitely going for the 7600GT.
Also, I am going to be using the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD. Can anyone, foresee any issues with trying that on my system? Any help is muchos appreciated. Gracias.

lanceomni
01-05-2009, 04:52 PM
You have an RS482/sb400 chipset: http://global.msi.eu/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&prod_no=214

You might want to try a more recent versions. Don't get me wrong I used that one but something like iPC 10.5.6 might be a better choice.

The on-board fake RAID feature on your board probably will not work. This kind of soft RAID generally doesn't work. If you need to set a RAID up you can do so in Disk Utility after you have installed. You don't have to but I would turn things off that I know I will not or can not use.

Do some research on your mobo/chipset and when you install choose only things which you know will work. I would not even choose any graphics drivers. This will give you default graphics and allow you to boot into OSX where as the wrong driver or multiple drivers will cause problems. You want to tackle problems one at a time so that you reduce the variable and can learn what needs to be fixed and why.

manofmany
01-05-2009, 05:21 PM
With those specs I personally would recommend trying Leo4All v4.1 first. It is more recent than 10.5.2 anyhow.

I just picked up a nice XFX 7900GS Nvidia 256mb pci-e card on ebay for $35. Huge improvement over the onboard 6150LE card I had.

As Lanceomni said, not choosing a video driver during install is a good choice. You will be greeted with 1024x768 but atleast you will have a GUI to work with.

prashanthv
01-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Thanks again. I think I will go for iPC 10.5.6 because of all the drivers and options.
I've been looking at the setup options.
( http://pcwizcomputer.com/ipcosx86/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/ipcbetalist.png )

If any one can fill in the "???" with something that'll work for my system, I'd really appreciate it.
The options I'm going to be checking are as follows:
- NO Languages
- Kernel: Voodoo 9.5.0
- Video: NVinject 0.21 256 MB VRAM (for the GeForce 7600GT)
- No Intel GMA
- Chipset Drivers: ???
- Audio - Realtek AC97
- Legacy Apple HDA: ???
- Ethernet: ??? (My MB has Realtek 8100C)
- USB Drivers: ???
- Power Management: ???
- Fixes & Patches: ???
- DSDT Patches: ???
- AppleSMBIOS Patch: ???
- Alternate Boot Loaders: ???
- Applications: ???

lanceomni
01-05-2009, 06:39 PM
- NO Languages
- Kernel: Voodoo 9.5.0
- Video: NVinject 0.21 256 MB VRAM (for the GeForce 7600GT)
- No Intel GMA
- Chipset Drivers: ???
- Audio - Realtek AC97 ALC658
- Legacy Apple HDA: ???
- Ethernet: ??? (My MB has Realtek 8100C)
- USB Drivers: ???
- Power Management: ???
- Fixes & Patches:
Seatbelt 10.5.5 (I had problems with kernel panics from mounting disk images. Its an easy add after the fact though.)
Verbose Mode (This adds -v to com.apple.boot.plist so you boot in verbose mode every time. Its a good thing to use untill your finished setting the rig up.)
- DSDT Patches: ???
- AppleSMBIOS Patch: ???
- Alternate Boot Loaders: ???
- Applications:
OSx86 Tools Utility
Pacifist
Kext Helper

I know that I may sound like I'm going against the whole reason why you would pick a distro with so many options but I prefer to install bare bones basic and then fix each issue separately. I would pull files from the disk after. This is just me. If your going to add a bunch of options at the time of install be sure to keep a log of what you selected and the results as Ive been in the same situaton and after a few installs I start forgetting what I chose previously...then again I don't have a great short term memory. ;)

I really don't know as far as chipset drivers are concered. That is a tough one.

Immediately after you install when you restart use the boot flags -v -f

nfoav8or
01-05-2009, 08:52 PM
for chipset drivers technically you can select all of them (except the ones that conflict, like multiple nforce or ICH kexts. But this is generally if you don't know what chipset you've got.

For you, though, seeing as how you've got the SB400 chipset I'd recommend the VIA/SiS/Marvell/SB Chipset Drivers. if you experience any problems with this search around as you can update the kexts after you install (from the DVD if need be).

prashanthv
01-07-2009, 04:00 AM
The story so far...
I got a GeForce 8500GT because I couldn't find the 7200 or 7600. It was on he HCL so I figured what the hell.
After successively trying to install Ubuntu and then trying to restore XP's bootloader, my MBR is a barren featureless desert land. I don't know what I did but I can't boot windows without the setup cd being in the drive. Small issue, just need to rebuild boot sector. No problem.
As a result of all this though, I've decided to go ahead and install vista first thing because then I can use EasyBCD to fix all my screw ups in one go. It is however, going to delay my installing OSX or anything else for that matter for a little while till I get my hands on Vista.
So thanks again to everyone for all the info. Will probably have loads more questions when I actually get down to it.

lanceomni
01-07-2009, 04:08 AM
Come on back when your ready. ;)

prashanthv
01-09-2009, 04:46 PM
And I'm back.

Update:
1. After numerous experiments with getting linux, vista and xp on different drives and partitions and what not, I have finally managed to get XP on, let's call it, SATA-1, Vista on IDE-1.
2. I have to get OSX (iPC) on SATA 2 now. Also, Ubuntu Studio needs to go on either SATA-2 or IDE-1 (whichever's easier).

So my questions now are:
1. Do I install OSX first or Linux first? I am going to keep Vista's bootloader. I have EasyBCD 2.0 Beta on there so I will be booting into that after every install to reset it's bootloader.
2. While installing Ubuntu, I need to install grub only on its own partition but i don't know which device to type in. Is there any way I can find out wheter thats sda/sdb or whatever that partition is going to be?