PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+

Televisor
01-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Hi

I'm going to post 2 questions in this forum, because there are supposed to be the most AMD experts here....

My hardware in brief: MSI K8N Neo4 1.0, AMD Athlon X2 3800+ Socket 939, Nforce4, ATI X1600 XT

First question:
Running iDeneb 10.5.5 works in principal excellent. Only mail.app doesn't safe password in keychain. I've figured out in security log that there is a problem with code signing. "About this Apple" tells processor "unknown", whereas profiler tells correctly the AMD. I'm using kernel StageXNU 9.4.0 and the nforce AppleSMBios (Netkas?). Does another AppleSMBios, e.g. AndyV's, which would hard code an Intel Dual Core machine (I hope to understood right, that this is NOT the cosmetic procedure like other tools do) to get the machine thinking it's a real Mac and therefore register mail.app correctly?

Second question:
A further install on the same computer, now iPC 10.5.6 with Voodoo Kernel. This runs also but with Kernel Panics on different situations. It's not obvious for me, which behaviour turns into theese KP. Screen tells everytime something like "divide zero" which I do understand but not what causes it? The related software is everytime another one, which are stated on the KP screen. So I suppose it must be the a kernel related issue. The strange thing is, that mail.app works correctly - no problems with code signing! About this Mac tells the "fairy tale of a Mac Pro" which had let me come to my thinkings mentioned in the first question. So what could be the issue here?

Before I start to test, I would be grateful, if you have an advice whether I could be right to
- change AppleSMBios on my iDeneb installation to get mail.app working
- change Voodoo Kernel on my iPC installation with StageXNU 9.4.0 Kernel and apply additional AMD patch to resolve KP

Although I do not have to stick to the Voodoo Kernel I still would like to get it working on my machine. Because there are so much positive feedback in forums outside there and on my system it gets KP.... :-(

Thanks for your time thinking on possible solutions!

Good night....
Televisor

nfoav8or
01-07-2009, 02:41 AM
I'll PM you with a few things. Ask about them (without quoting the links as we don't allow specific ones here) either back here in the forum or in the PM.

lanceomni
01-07-2009, 03:44 AM
NFOav8or probably explained this in his PM along with all the other stuff but for everyone else. Voyn1x posted a quick fix for the issue with Mail not saving passwords.

Go to your utilities folder and open keychain access. You should see your pop and smtp addresses in the list. Double click on each, go to the Access Control tab and check 'Allow all applications to access this item'.

Mail should work correctly now! :)-Voyn1x

http://www.infinitemac.com/f5/zephyroth-leopard-amd-10-5-2-rev-2-t1111/

It may not be the answer to the problem but its a quick fix for a major annoyance.

nfoav8or
01-07-2009, 04:29 AM
Yeah, this should be done in addition to what I PM'd you. I forgot to post the link to that so good on you guys for mentioning that.

Televisor
01-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks for your help!

I have already known the workaround to get mail.app working. In fact, that was not my aim. I will check the other procedures and give feedback!

Bye, Televisor

Televisor
01-09-2009, 10:20 PM
@nfoav8or

Hi!
Thanks for your great help! I'm writing here now after your recommended procedures! Also I've updated via Apple Update to 10.5.6 (from iDeneb 10.5.5). And you don't guess - mail.app now don't "forget" passwords, finally!

Some small problems, facts (please comment) and further questions to better understand:
1. Why did I not have to implement system.kext of the voodoo-package?
2. On my AMD processor I had to enter boot-flag -force64, without that I got KP respective boot hangs. Surprising, but o.k. with that flag it runs as you see.
3. I added seatbelt.kext 10.5.5 because of mounting dmg leads to KP. Also fine now.
4. In system profiler my RAM speed is not specified (0 MHz). What could resolve that issue? Is that all fake in there?
5. Sleep Mode doesn't work as like before (with the StageXNU 9.4.0 Kernel), monitor and harddrives switch off, PC and fans stay on.

So, I will test the next few days this configuration, whether it stays stable.

Thanks again and have a nice weekend!
Televisor