PDA

View Full Version : GeForce 6800GS with iPC 10.5.6

CyCLoBoT
01-10-2009, 07:14 AM
I have successfully installed the iPC 10.5.6 version of Leopard but I just can't get my GeForce 6800GS video card to work with it. I modified the GeForce, NVDAHAL40, NVDARESMON (not sure about the spelling) by adding in the device ID for my card like I normally have done before but I just can't get it to work.

As soon as I delete the NVinject, NVkush kext files (I have tried both indvidually, not together) the system loads just fine but with one standard resolution.

So the issue is that, by using the default drivers that come in the install DVD, my system does not go into the desktop. When I try to modify the kext files with my device ID, still nothing.

I even tried installing Zephyroth's universal installer but no luck. Any ideas on how I can get my card to work? I have tried just about everything now.

CyCLoBoT
01-11-2009, 05:49 AM
So I tried to use the injector called NVdram (I think) from the DVD and during the first initial boot, I saw that it did recognize my video card when it was probing, but then nothing else happened. The bootup process just froze.

I even tried using EFI string but still no luck. The furthest I was able to get to was to a cursor with blue screen.

nfoav8or
01-12-2009, 06:45 AM
when you tried the EFI hex strings did you use the original Apple graphics kexts or the modified ones you spoke of earlier? Also, where did you obtain the hex string from?

cmdshft
01-12-2009, 07:04 AM
I was telling someone how to get this working in a temp fix on IRC earlier tonight for this same card, was it you?

If so, grab the 10.5.5 kexts from the NVKush Complete Package and install those, add your DeviceID to those and the card should then work. You're the only one I've seen with an issue for the 6x00 series, so I can't safely say that Apple is phasing out that line of cards along with the 5x00 series in 10.5.6.

Make sure to hold onto that package itself (mount the ISO and copy the install package for NVKush Complete to a safe place on your system), as it will be modified to remove all NVKush packages from the ISO as per Diabolik's request in PPF3 and renamed to something else. The new version should still work for you with the same method, but minus an injector, requiring you to pick another one instead of nvkush automatically being installed.

CyCLoBoT
01-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Yes I was chatting with you on IRC Hara. As you mentioned, I will try using the NVkush package from the ISO first and see if it does resolve the issue.

when you tried the EFI hex strings did you use the original Apple graphics kexts or the modified ones you spoke of earlier? Also, where did you obtain the hex string from?

At first I tried using the original kexts after doing a clean install but that did not resolve the issue. So after doing another clean install, I ran the Zephyroth's NVidia Installer and modified those kexts but still no luck.

CyCLoBoT
01-13-2009, 01:42 AM
Hara, I did a clean install and selected the NVkush package but as soon as it booted, it got stuck at the bootup. It didn't go any further to the initial setup part.

I even removed the NVkush kext just so that it would bypass the probing but no luck. Seems like the card is no longer supported on 10.5.6