PDA

View Full Version : iatkos 5i not booting after update to 10.5.6

eemerge
01-10-2009, 01:09 PM
I think i must have misunderstood, but i read that iatkos 5i can be updated like a regular mac..so i applied the update from inside the OS, and on reboot, it hangs.

Any ways to make it work or at least rever to 10.5.5 without reinstalling from scratch?

alphabeta23
01-10-2009, 01:47 PM
My update attemp to 10.5.6 went wrong too. I could restore my system with the installation dvd using my timemachine backup. After reinstalling chameleon bootloader everything is working like before.

Good luck!

eemerge
01-10-2009, 01:53 PM
what if i dont have any backups on timemachine?

lanceomni
01-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Tell us where it hangs. If your getting a blank screen with Apple logo use -v on boot and tell us where it stops.

Place your specs in your signature will help us too.

eemerge
01-10-2009, 04:49 PM
it hanged once after mounting the other hard disks, and once i dont remember where...

anyway meanwhile i reinstalled it and i will keep it to 10.5.5 .

also i have changed my video card since i was on VESA with my GTX 280. Now im on a 7200 GS 128 RAM , im not on vesa anymore, but one of the main reasons for installing mac, LOGIC (audio application) still detectes 0 MB VRAM.

i have chosen at installation the Titan drivers for nvidia and i might have chose the NVinject also (im not sure though). In System Profiler at Graphics there are 128 MB Vram, and at ROM says NVinject 0.2.1 ...maybe anyone can help me with this ? :)

Thanks

lanceomni
01-10-2009, 05:05 PM
You don't want to select multiple graphics drivers.

Lets try this for your graphics card.

1. Go to http://nvinject.free.fr/ and download Latest_NVinject.0.2.1.zip

2. Go to the /System/Library/Extensions folder and remove existing graphic's kexts. (NVinject, NVkush, NVdarwin & Titan) You may want to back them up to a folder on your desktop or a USB thumb drive.

3. Unzip the file you downloaded and drop NVinject.kext into the /System/Library/Extensions folder.

4. Open Terminal and type the following to correct permissions to the Extensions folder. sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions && chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions5. Then type the following to repair permissions to your entire drive. diskutil repairpermissions /6. Then type the following to remove the Extensions.mkext cache file to force OSX to rebuild it with the new NVinject you installed. sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.mkext7. Reboot with -v -f

Check to see if QE/CI is supported.

eemerge
01-10-2009, 05:09 PM
thanks a bunch im about to try it now, a quick question before: is there any chance my system wont boot aftewards and i will have to do a new install?

eemerge
01-10-2009, 05:23 PM
on the " sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions && chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions " command , i get :Operation not permitted ...is it normal ?

lanceomni
01-10-2009, 05:24 PM
With graphics drivers generally not. You could remove all of them and restart and will get default 1024x768 no QE/CI. I generally tell people when the do an install to not even select any graphics options as selecting the wrong option or multiple options can cause problems. I recommend that you back these files up to your desktop or a thumb drive as good practice. You may in the future, have to replace kexts and it is a good idea to keep them handy so that if you can't get back into OSX you can replace them in Single User Mode -s to avoid having to do a complete reinstall.

eemerge
01-10-2009, 05:31 PM
hopefully i wont have to do a full reinstall...

now what do i do with the Operation not permitted ? (post above last post of yours)

lanceomni
01-10-2009, 05:31 PM
on the " sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions && chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions " command , i get :Operation not permitted ...is it normal ?

Type this in terminal:
ls -l /usr/bin/su

Reply back with what it says.

eemerge
01-10-2009, 05:38 PM
-r-sr-xr-x 1 root wheel 48160 Nov 29 2007 /usr/bin/su

lanceomni
01-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Hmm it it were to have said -r-xr-xr-x then we should have been able to type "sudo chmod 4555 /usr/bin/su" but since it doesnt I am not too sure. Type which su and tell me what it says.

eemerge
01-10-2009, 05:42 PM
/usr/bin/su

lanceomni
01-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Everything looks correct. Try typing (pressing enter after each line):
sudo -s
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
diskutil repairpermissions /

If it gives you the same error, make sure /System/Library/Extensions/Extensions.mkext has been deleted and go to Disk Utility and select Repair Permissions. Then reboot with -v -f

eemerge
01-10-2009, 05:51 PM
so far so good...its now fixing permissions ... im waiting , no more operation permitted when doing the commands one by one..
The final result is:

Started verify/repair permissions on disk disk0s1 disk0s1

Group differs on "home", should be 20, group is 0
Group differs on "net", should be 20, group is 0
Group differs on "private/etc/cups", should be 0, group is 26
Group differs on "private/var/log/install.log", should be 0, group is 80
Permissions differ on "private/var/log/install.log", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -rw-r-----
Permissions differ on "private/var/spool/cups/cache/rss", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are drwxrwxr-x
User differs on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Home/lib/jvm.cfg", should be 0, user is 95
User differs on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Libraries/classlist", should be 0, user is 95
User differs on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/lib/jvm.cfg", should be 0, user is 95
User differs on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Libraries/classlist", should be 0, user is 95
[ + 0%..10%..20%..30%..40%..50%..60%..70%..80%..90%..1 00% ]
Finished verify/repair permissions on disk disk0s1 disk0s1

p.s. i just checked for Extensions.mkext , is there..should i delete it?

lanceomni
01-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Yes delete it right before you reboot. You can use this command provided you have not exited Terminal:
rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.mkextIf it gives you problems then try:
sudo -s
rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.mkextRemember to use -v -f when you reboot.
-v Verbose Mode
-f Forces OSX to pull drivers from the Extensions folder and not the cache file. I know we just deleted the cache file but its still a good idea.

eemerge
01-10-2009, 06:21 PM
just restarted, now im in 1024x768 (before this i was in 1680x1050)

System profiler says:

Graphics by NVIDIA:

Chipset Model: Graphics by NVIDIA
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x016a
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: NVinject 0.2.1
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Software
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Not Supported
Display Connector:

p.s. : now i have 256 vram (actually my 7200 gs has only 128), but Logic still says my system has 0 VRAM

lanceomni
01-10-2009, 06:40 PM
I did a little research on your card and found a few others having the same issue. Do you know the model & Manufacturer of your card?

Lets give NVkush a try. There is a link to it in my signature http://diabolik1605.com/DHF/

Follow the previous instructions of removing related graphics drivers and then drop NVkush.kext into your /System/Library/Extensions folder.

sudo -s
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions && chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Reboot with v -f

NVinject & NVkush have worked out of the box for most of the projects i have done. Others have had success with EFI strings though Ive never messed with it. Ill point someone to this post if NVkush doesnt work for you.

eemerge
01-10-2009, 06:43 PM
oh oh oh...my big bad..
now i looked on the card box, its a 7100 GS MSI ... im not using this card since i got my gtx 280 so i didnt know exactly, sorry..

so, its: MSI NX7100 GS 128 RAM

nfoav8or
01-10-2009, 06:48 PM

The reason the above didn't work is because the "&&" doesn't carry over the sudo command. you need to type sudo twice so it should look like:
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ && sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

or like it was later stated...

sudo -s
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

Just for future reference...

lanceomni
01-10-2009, 06:57 PM
No problem. Give NVkush a try and if it doesnt work lets try to get your Device & Vendor IDs.

I would download DPCI Manager here: http://duddie.kazzuya.com/proj/DPCIManager_01.zip This tool allows you to find the Vendor & Device IDs. Its a handy tool to have if you have some devices that are not working.

It will show you something like this:

http://www.infinitemac.com/images/statusicon/wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 614x525.http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/6164/dpciev5.png

For example the numbers on the left in the first column are the Vendor IDs and the numbers on the right in the first column are the Device ID. Find your Video Card's vendor & device IDs

With these numbers we can better check support for your card. In some cases you can add these numbers to kexts to get them up and running.

Though try NVkush first. We can also compare the IDs you get from this program with what your system thinks your card is. For example, in your last post it shows:

lanceomni
01-10-2009, 07:02 PM
@NFOav8or
The reason the above didn't work is because the "&&" doesn't carry over the sudo command. you need to type sudo twice so it should look like:
Thanks for that. I figured Id start grouping commands. Last night I asked one of the guys about it and they said you only needed to use it once per line. I was too lazy to give it a try. I thought it was strange to have gotten that error when everything else looked good.

Im not too familiar with EFI strings so I don't really know what to advise in NVkush doesn't work. Have any suggestions?

nfoav8or
01-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Im not too familiar with EFI strings so I don't really know what to advise [if] NVkush doesn't work. Have any suggestions?

nothing makes EFI easier than pcwiz's OSx86 Tools Utility for beginners.
Here's a post I made a while ago that discussed EFI. If the card is supported I'd recommend using it.

http://www.infinitemac.com/f5/the-apple-logo-keeps-spinning-after-successful-install-t1705/post19727.html

I hope it explains the process a little more.

eemerge
01-10-2009, 07:32 PM
The id`s from the little tool are:

10de:016a

the card is identified as: GeForce 7100 GS

im about to reboot now with nvkush

eemerge
01-10-2009, 07:39 PM
same thing...

I Can Has Model?:

Chipset Model: I Can Has Model?
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Core Image: Software
Quartz Extreme: Not Supported
Display Connector:

eemerge
01-10-2009, 07:46 PM
i looked a little on the Efi post of nfoav8or , downloaded the little tool, and my card is int he list : 7100 128 MB ram...maybe you could give me some instructions to what to do using that?

Thanks, and thanks for all the help so far :)

lanceomni
01-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Im at a loss on this one. If you backed up the original kexts we can restore them or re-download. Which ones did you see to delete? NVinject/NVkush/Titan...

Also check Nfoav8or's link. It discusses EFI Strings

eemerge
01-10-2009, 07:50 PM
i backed them up.

i read the post about the efi strings...im thinking to give it a try..is it still safe so that i wont have to reinstall the whole system?

also, do you think there could be a better hope if i put back my gtx 280 ?

p.s. list of delete exts (initially):
NVDANV10Hal.kext
NVDANV20Hal.kext
NVDANV30Hal.kext
NVDANV40Hal.kext
NVDANV50Hal.kext
NVDAResman.kext
NVinject.kext
Titan.kext

eemerge
01-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Good news!

I went back to the initial drivers, and following lanceomni`s advice not to have 2 drivers installed, i followed the 'procedure' , removed the nvinject and only left the Titan drivers ..and it works!!

Generic NVIDIA:

Chipset Model: Generic NVIDIA
VRAM (Total): 128 MB
Displays:
SyncMaster:
Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Quartz Extreme: Supported
QuartzGL: Supported
Rotation: Supported
Display Connector:

Thanks a lot guys!

If it helps anyone else, the only files i have left from my initial setup are:

NVDANV10Hal.kext
NVDANV20Hal.kext
NVDANV30Hal.kext
NVDANV40Hal.kext
NVDANV50Hal.kext
NVDAResman.kext
Titan.kext

i dunno if NVDA and Titan are still 2 different drivers, but i think im u sing Titan now (from what i can see on a -v boot)

lanceomni
01-10-2009, 08:58 PM
That is good to hear ;)

eemerge
01-10-2009, 11:19 PM
a big THANKS for all the help :)