PDA

View Full Version : iPC on SB400 "waiting for root device"

prashanthv
01-11-2009, 07:14 AM
I tried everything I could to get the install to start but always gets stuck at "waiting for root device.
I even unplugged all my SATA drives so there's only the IDE HDD on IDE 1 as master and the dvd drive on IDE 2 as master.
I've tried -v -f -x flags with rd=discXsY with all combinations of 0 and 1 for X and Y (since I only have 1 dvd drive and 1 hard disk).
Nothing seems to work.

Should I give up or is there anything else I need to do?
Also would any other release (other than iPC) work better for my chipset?
OSx86 noob here so detailed instructions would be greatly appreciated.

nfoav8or
01-12-2009, 07:03 AM
I would either switch the devices around (DVD to master and HD to slave) or set DVD to IDE master and install to a SATA drive. Have you checked your BIOS options for AHCI? try enabling this if it already isn't... this will give you some hurdles with any windows systems you have installed already.

cmdshft
01-12-2009, 07:06 AM
Make sure to install the SBX00 chipset package...

prashanthv
01-12-2009, 07:39 AM
Thanks. Will try switching the drives around and see what happens.

And how do I install the sbx00 chipset package before the install runs? (apologies if this is a noob question)

prashanthv
01-12-2009, 07:39 AM
Thanks. Will try switching the drives around and see what happens.

And how do I install the sbx00 chipset package before the install runs? (apologies if this is a noob question)

prashanthv
01-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Tried switching drives every which way there was. Still no luck. Any suggestions?

cmdshft
01-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Did you install the SBx00 driver?

prashanthv
01-12-2009, 12:56 PM
like i asked before, how do i install the drivers? i need instructions cos i've never done this before.

prashanthv
01-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Also, doesn't iPC PPF2 have the sbxxx drivers in it already?

cmdshft
01-13-2009, 12:41 AM
like i asked before, how do i install the drivers? i need instructions cos i've never done this before.

Click the magic "Customize" button.

nfoav8or
01-13-2009, 12:45 AM
haha... I guess I should have asked this before posting the first time around. ^_^

prashanthv
01-13-2009, 04:44 AM
I'm assuming the magic customize button is in the installer and I cannot get to the installer because of the waiting for root device thing.
I tried everything mentioned in the sticky about waiting for root device error but nothing's worked so far.

cmdshft
01-13-2009, 05:09 AM
I'm assuming the magic customize button is in the installer and I cannot get to the installer because of the waiting for root device thing.
I tried everything mentioned in the sticky about waiting for root device error but nothing's worked so far.

See, it helps to mention that bit. We're not mind readers.

Your SPECIFIC version of the SB600 or SB700 chipset may not be supported at the moment, but there's a new PPF on the way that should fix that. Should be out sometime this week.

prashanthv
01-13-2009, 06:05 AM
Sorry if I wasn't clear on that. My chipset is SB400 though (according to cpu-z). But I guess I could wait for the new PPF and try it out then. Thanks.

nfoav8or
01-13-2009, 09:12 AM
in the meantime you could try LawlessPPC 10.5.4 and give OSx86 a try on that machine... It never hurts to have a few different distro's lying around anyways. LawlessPPC is not as up-to-date but it will at least let you boot up and install the base system (it does install a good system, but since you wanted iPC in the first place you can then continue to use the iPC distro from there to get the rest of your hardware working. either way will work and right now it is just about getting a working system to update/upgrade from.