PDA

View Full Version : Getting the "still waiting for root device"

thokasen
01-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Ok, so I was over at InsanelyMac forum to ask for help and they redirected me to this forum since there are much more AMD users over here, so I'll just sum up what I've experienced:

Before I burned iDeneb 10.5 to my DVD+R, I confirmed that the MD5 checksum was a match, which it was.
I booted it in my Compaq laptop, it went fine and I got into the installation process where in Disk Utility I chose some portion of my HDD for OS X in the extended journal type format, and the rest was unallocated to install Windows on later.

The installation process went fine and I crossed for the correct drivers except there was no AMD chipset to choose, so I left the chipset blank.
When the installation was finished, I rebooted and then the "Still waiting for root device" appeared. I went into some research on the web and found out that I wasn't the only one with the problem wink.gif

What I know is that my HDD is S-ATA, and there's no HDD options in BIOS except checking for errors.
It's an AMD CPU and AMD chipset.
It supports SSE2 and SSE3
When I installed OS X the HDD had Windows on it.
I tried to boot the Windows CD and delete the partion, changing the whole disk back to unallocated, but when I booted the CD I got the "still waiting for boot device"
I also tried booting Parted Magic and creating a new primary active partition, didn't work either.

When I woke up this morning I burnt the LawlessPPC distro to a DVD and was able to boot of it, however, when the installation was complete I wasn't able to boot the hard drive, getting the "still waiting for root device".

nfoav8or
01-13-2009, 08:54 PM
your chipset it not based on what type of CPU (AMD vs Intel) you have, but rather on what is built-in to your motherboard. The reason most install DVDs will work with your system is because they have all of the chipset drivers present and available for your system to chose the correct one.

post a little more about your system (whether it be your notebook model or more in depth specs)... anything would help at this point.

Another option: when installing, select ALL the chipset drivers (except variants of the same so you don't get compatibility errors). An example of variants would be the nForceATA and nForce Test drivers. The files these two installers output are named the exact same thing so the installer will error out.

thokasen
01-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Sure, here's my hardware:

AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-64 (2.2 GHz, 2 x 512 KB L2 cache)
Chipset: AMD M690T
1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
ATI Radeon X1250
Broadcom 802.11a/b/g draft n

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/321957-321957-64295-321838-89315-3368540-3356624-3382966.html

I can check even more in depth tomorrow when I have it back.

nfoav8or
01-15-2009, 03:09 AM
Another option: when installing, select ALL the chipset drivers (except variants of the same so you don't get compatibility errors). An example of variants would be the nForceATA and nForce Test drivers. The files these two installers output are named the exact same thing so the installer will error out.

Have you tried this? I'll look up a little more on the M690T (?) or else more on the system as a whole, but for now give this a try.

thokasen
01-16-2009, 12:00 AM
No, I'll try that. Thanks.

nfoav8or
01-16-2009, 07:38 AM
The AMD M690T is and Integrated Graphics Processor's northbridge chipset that is coupled with the SB600 or the SB700 southbridge chipset. Check the VIA/SiS/SB chipset option. The LawlessPPC 10.5.4 install DVD should work with your system.