PDA

View Full Version : Complaint's & Suggestions

02-03-2008, 03:59 AM
Complaint's
If you have a complaint about someone or something on the forum please post it here, If all you want is to cause trouble then, don't even post it. This is only here to make our forum better =)

Suggestions
Is you have and suggestions on what we can do to make the forum better or osx86 better Also please post that here, - If its for osx86 then also post your system spec's.

Sincerely,
Wyatt M.

Xxp/TuX
02-03-2008, 04:15 AM
Suggestion:I do not know if puttabong is managing the site,but I think that will be nice to have who is online on each topic too. This will be avoid in some cases the long wait until questions are answered (Believe me!,I have seen people waiting for an answer that will never come, lol). Just a suggestion :D ...

Puttabong
02-03-2008, 04:16 AM
I do not know if puttabong is managing the site,but I think that will be nice to have who is online on each topic too.
Hey Xxp/TuX, Sorry, but it does already? I see the Who is Online Panel on each Site of the Forums.

Xxp/TuX
02-03-2008, 04:19 AM
OMG!. Sorry man!: I though that it showed online on all topics!.Never noticed that:sorry again :( ...

Puttabong
02-03-2008, 04:22 AM
No Problem :)

Greetings

Taisto
02-03-2008, 05:10 AM
Maybe some closed topics with .kexts included ( by mods ofcourse ). Would be really easier to find needed stuff :)

02-03-2008, 05:13 AM
what kind of kexts are you looking for?

naquaada
02-03-2008, 05:16 AM
Don't Steal MacOS X.kext ;)

crawle
02-03-2008, 04:55 PM
I think, when this forum so strongly rises, this "all threads on the start page"-structure won't be very effective. And the forum isn't very old. So maybe you, PB, should consider to change the forum software (to MyBB, phpBB or similiar). At first I loved this forum and the structure, but it becomes bigger und bigger ... you know? Think about it ...

-crawle

naquaada
02-03-2008, 05:19 PM
crawle: I already told Puttabong about something like this, he'll care about it if he's got time.

crawle
02-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Alright.

Casemon
02-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Adding my "complaints"

I really want to use and be a part of this community but find it extremely painful because of how fragmented the information is. Wiki is a good start, but doesn't include all the forum info. The forums are spread across 2 different sites (which one to use? both are getting new posts) and they are both hard to use and what is worse, it's nearly impossible to search for things effectively.

For example, try searching for "can't boot" and you'll get all posts with can't or with boot. Which makes search pretty pointless in my opinion.

Plus the chat channel has 8 lurkers and no one is saying anything.

I really want the community to thrive, but I find it is being held back by these silly organizational issues.

I normally try not to complain, but this forum is exactly for that, and I think resolving these issues will make the whole experience better for everyone (from devs to users to noobs)

k3nny
02-03-2008, 08:20 PM
This forum software may be good for small projects as it was in the beginning.

As you see the visitor counter rises more and more with every day and the board is filled with information thats really not easy to find.
I agree with Casemon.. we need some more organization.
Look at the General OSX86 subforum at instance. I dont think people who want to talk about General Mac issues want to see a topic about how old someone is or if anyone visits insanelymac or this board more often (not to speak about its pointlessness).

Also many people are posting their Hackintosh problems under "News" in hope they get helped faster or because of other reasons i dont know.

In my opinion organization will be much easier in forum softwares like SMF (simplemachines.org) , phpBB (phpbb.com).
So .. and i hope there is an admin reading this post in nearest future .. you guys should really think about this kind of problem. And i really think it is one now.

As you already opened a forum for a single MacOS distro, please do it corretcly.

Please regard this as positive critisism ;-)

Some things about the sleeping people at the IRC channel.
A simple "_off" behind your nickname often does the trick.

naquaada
02-03-2008, 10:20 PM
@ Casemon:

You're right, the information gets fragmented. We're up trying to clean the forum, but this takes time and there must be found a way not to loose information. Not every problem is worth to be added in the wiki 'cause it's too specific, but the solution (if there was one) should be kept somehow. But how, that's the question.

@ k3nny:

We have opened a forum for zephyroth's MacOS distro, but there are hundreds of people with different components. So it is sure that the numbers of questions will get very high, although it was only about one image. And you can't open a new forum for each 10.5.1 Rev. 2 and 10.5.2, so they will be discussed here too. BTW, In my opinion the forum the questions are vory close to zepyroths images and not related to others.

I like this forum style, but the default shouldn't be all threads (something other said this too). I would recommend only the discussions in which was activity maybe the last 3 days ago. What we also need is a better implementation of the wiki in this site.

k3nny
02-03-2008, 11:07 PM
@naquaada:

Right, the components differences are why this forum exists at all.
I dont critisize that you made a forum only for Zephyroth's releases; i even like this. Neither I wanted to say that there should be a single forum for each release.
The simplicity of this forum is pretty nice, too.
But the point is - from my point of view - that its hard to manage and organize all the posts with this forum software.

So far from my side.

zuz242
02-05-2008, 05:50 PM
as not everybody coming here for the first time and asking questions has read every info (and stickies), they often ask questions answered in the wiki.

how about adding a link to the wiki (and the irc channel) in the leftside panel?
this would help newbies and the forum by avoiding unneccessary posts.

new2osx86
02-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Suggession:
Can forum has a "view new post" option. That make easy for member not to browse all around.
Complaint:
Why I can't post a "Start a new discussion"? is it only for Admin to open a new topic?

zuz242
02-11-2008, 05:43 PM
new2osx86:Suggession:
Can forum has a "view new post" option. That make easy for member not to browse all around.
Complaint:
Why I can't post a "Start a new discussion"? is it only for Admin to open a new topic?

for me, all new (ones containing unread messages) posts are hilighted in colour. and the posts are sorted chronologically.
and, i got a "Start a new discussion"" at the top of the leftside panel, but its easyly overread :)

concerning the leftside panel, i got an additional suggestion:
add a "ultra sticky" with a text like: "Zeph Release 1.5.1 Rev2 beta is not public! Donīt ask to become a betatester! The next public release will be 10.5.2 R1 and it will be released afer Apple releases the 10.5.2 update."

megaargon1
02-12-2008, 09:41 AM
I haven't seen Zephyroth online on this forum in days. Is Rev. 2 on the horizon now for general public release?