PDA

View Full Version : How to type in the Terminal?

dotzev
01-14-2009, 01:07 AM
The title says it all:D

I need to type the following :sudo -s
(password)

cd /system/library/extensions
chmod -R 755 * && chown -R root:wheel *
cd ..
rm extensions.mkext
kextcache -a i386 -e

but when it asks me for the password - I can't type it in,so does anyone know what I'm doing wrong???:-/

The whole thing is for making my audio work,I've infested the forums with threads for witch I apologize,but I'd really like to have a working mac,and without the sound it just doesn't cut it:confused:

spydeyrch
01-14-2009, 01:16 AM
So, when you are in the console and use sudo for the first time, it will ask you for your password, which you probably have experienced. If I understand your issue correctly, when you type your password, nothing happens, right? Now, is it that when you type a key, nothing shows up or is it when you input your WHOLE password and hit enter, nothing happens? I ask because when using sudo and typing in your password for the first time....as you type in your password, nothing that you type in will show up...that is normal. Once you correctly type in your password and then hit enter, you should see the terminal accept your password and then you will be in superuser or root mode. Hope that makes sense. :D

cmdshft
01-14-2009, 01:33 AM
The title says it all:D

I need to type the following :sudo -s
(password)

cd /system/library/extensions
chmod -R 755 * && chown -R root:wheel *
cd ..
rm extensions.mkext
kextcache -a i386 -e

but when it asks me for the password - I can't type it in,so does anyone know what I'm doing wrong???:-/

The whole thing is for making my audio work,I've infested the forums with threads for witch I apologize,but I'd really like to have a working mac,and without the sound it just doesn't cut it:confused:

Terminal auto hides your password entry, type as normal and press enter and it will go through.

spydeyrch
01-14-2009, 01:58 AM
Terminal auto hides your password entry, type as normal and press enter and it will go through.

Or.......you could say it like that. Nice and clear and to the point. hehehe ^_^ sorry about my explination, sometimes I draw things out longer than they need to be.

Nice clear answer Hara Taiki. :cool:

:D

lanceomni
01-14-2009, 03:09 AM
@Hara Taiki

Right to the point ;)

dotzev
01-14-2009, 10:24 AM
the problem is that I can't type anything when I'm asked for my password:'(

I type the password,as I type - no text appears,i press enter and I get "bash-3.2#"

is that supposed to happen?

R0GUE
01-14-2009, 12:16 PM
@dotzev; Do you have any strange symbols or characters in your password? If so, change your password and try again.

cmdshft
01-14-2009, 12:48 PM
the problem is that I can't type anything when I'm asked for my password:'(

I type the password,as I type - no text appears,i press enter and I get "bash-3.2#"

is that supposed to happen?

Yes, that is what the -s part is. Perfectly normal.

R0GUE
01-14-2009, 01:33 PM
Yes, that is what the -s part is. Perfectly normal.
Are you sure? sudo -s puts you into root (unless it's different for Leopard). So the output should return something like this:
USERNAME:~ root#

Ianxxx
01-14-2009, 02:03 PM
Are you sure? sudo -s puts you into root (unless it's different for Leopard). So the output should return something like this:
USERNAME:~ root#

This is normal

Last login: Wed Jan 14 12:31:21 on console
ians-p35-ds3l:~ ian$ sudo -s
Password:
bash-3.2#

R0GUE
01-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Ok thanks for clarifying that. Bash on Tiger must handle the request differently.

cmdshft
01-15-2009, 04:19 AM
Ok thanks for clarifying that. Bash on Tiger must handle the request differently.

Tiger is not UNIX SUSv3 certified for a reason.