PDA

View Full Version : Installation Help

samurai_47
01-19-2009, 01:37 AM
Hi, im very new to this whole Mac on the PC thing, ive gotten 2 different copies of OS X, one is LawlessPPC Phenom AMD v10.5.4 and the other is OS 10.5.1 AMD version (srry dont know the distribution). So far ive tried to install on my laptop, desktop, and a USB HDD, all have failed. The AMD distro will only recognize my DVD drive on my laptop and the USB HDD, if its plugged in. I used Acronis to make a new partition on my desktop and my USB HDD. so that makes 3 partitions on my desktop and 2 in the USB HDD, both i made primary and labeled them 0xAF type drives.

The LawlessPPC distro will say Still waiting for root device when i try to install on my laptop, when i try on my desktop, it will get about 25% through the install then go to black and say something about a server crash (srry i cant be more specific). The AMD distro will get 75% through the install then crash to the same screen. oh and in regards to the root device problem, ive tried all the boot option solutions.

Heres my Specs for the two computers.

Laptop
HP Pavilion dv2845 se
Wistron MoBo
AMD Turion x2 2.1GHz SSE,SSE2,SSE3
4GB RAM
nForce Chipset
nVidia GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M (Windows says 128mb, Ubuntu says 512mb?)
SATA Western Digital HDD 250GB - 1 Partition
Current OS - Unbuntu 8.10

Desktop
ASUS m2n-SLI
nForce Chipset
AMD X64 Athlon X2 4400+ 2.3GHz SSE,SSE2, SSE3
2GB RAM
ATI Redeon HD 2600 Pro 512mb
Western Digital HDD 500Gb - 3 partitions, 1 - 127GB - Main, 2 - 287GB - Storage/Games, 3 - 50GB - OSX Drive (0xAF)
Current OS - Vista Ultimate 32bit

Portable HDD
Seagate FreeAgent Go 120GB
2 Partitions - 1 Storage, 2 - OS X (0xAF)

Sorry for the lengthy post, but i wanted to make sure i gave you guys all that info that i could. plz help i would very much apreciate it, oh and im trying to get the new iPC release too.

KusariNinja
01-19-2009, 12:08 PM
with the desktop system, press F8 when you see darwin bootloader appear and type "maxmem=2048" or "maxmem=3072" without the "". When you get the configuration section, just add the nforce chipset drivers, leave sound and lan alone for the time being. You can add these later.

I had issues with installing when utilising all the memory but when i dropped it under 4GB it installed without error. If you have a look around on this forum you will find other references to the 4GB issue. Hope this helps.

lanceomni
01-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Samurai & Ninja sacred enemies coming together. ;)

samurai_47
01-19-2009, 09:45 PM

>.> psh "coming together", i dont know what your talking about..... thanks though

samurai_47
01-20-2009, 10:20 AM
ok, so i was doing some more investigating and was wondering if this would work. since none of the distros i have will install on a real machine (LawlessPPC, AMD 10.5.1, OSX86 Beta) could i make a virtaul machine copy and transfer that to an .img file, then restore that through a boot DVD to a real partition on my Desktop/Laptop? oh and btw ninjas suggestions didnt help....sorry.....traitor...haha..just kidding

erick2red
01-20-2009, 07:16 PM
ok, so i was doing some more investigating and was wondering if this would work. since none of the distros i have will install on a real machine (LawlessPPC, AMD 10.5.1, OSX86 Beta) could i make a virtaul machine copy and transfer that to an .img file, then restore that through a boot DVD to a real partition on my Desktop/Laptop? oh and btw ninjas suggestions didnt help....sorry.....traitor...haha..just kidding
you could try but since you can tell to the virtual machine to emulate your hardware, then you could a working system and when copying to the real hdd, the system may not work, and if u didn't have the right graphics kexts, it's almost sure it won't work.

but you can try on your machine(s) with "-v" boot flag to check the point u reach.

erick2red
01-20-2009, 07:17 PM
you could try but since you can tell to the virtual machine to emulate your hardware, then you could a working system and when copying to the real hdd, the system may not work, and if u didn't have the right graphics kexts, it's almost sure it won't work.

but you can try on your machine(s) with "-v" boot flag to check the point u reach.

samurai_47
01-20-2009, 10:38 PM
im sure that its not rogconizing my laptop hard drive, its a SATA Western Digital. They will all recognize my desktop hard drive though, which is the same thing, SATA Western Digital. i dont know why this is, ive been trying to figure it out for so long. ive tried almost every boot flag too (maxmem=xxx, cpus=x, -v, -x, -f....etc) i have no clue what the problem is. the only thing i can tell you is that when i got the AMD 10.5.1 to install it got 75% there and crashed to a black screen and said something about a server crash and that my system would restart. i wish i could be more specific... srry, oh and that was on my desktop.

erick2red
01-20-2009, 10:46 PM
im sure that its not rogconizing my laptop hard drive, its a SATA Western Digital. They will all recognize my desktop hard drive though, which is the same thing, SATA Western Digital. i dont know why this is, ive been trying to figure it out for so long. ive tried almost every boot flag too (maxmem=xxx, cpus=x, -v, -x, -f....etc) i have no clue what the problem is. the only thing i can tell you is that when i got the AMD 10.5.1 to install it got 75% there and crashed to a black screen and said something about a server crash and that my system would restart. i wish i could be more specific... srry, oh and that was on my desktop.
try out kaliway 10.5.1, (u can update later to 10.5.6, my own experience), but when that happened to me was about a BIOS configuration, http://apple2pc.blogspot.com has an article about setting the BIOS options, and try changing your DVD to first master and the HDD to second master....

KusariNinja
01-20-2009, 11:48 PM

heehee, I bet he did not see me coming either ;)

samurai_47
01-21-2009, 08:23 AM
heehee, I bet he did not see me coming either ;)

honestly i didnt, i must try harder next time...^_^