PDA

View Full Version : running mac OSX86 off an external hardrive??

oneshot
01-22-2009, 09:03 AM
Is it possable??

What kind of hardrive should I look for to make sure that it works?

I want to do this for certain reasons (long story) but I know that OSX will not recognize a sata hardrive ( Atleast the one thats plugged in directly to my computer)

also this would make your external hardrive almost like a mac mini in a way.....well maby not but do you know if this will work?

-oneshot

Ali C.
01-22-2009, 10:58 PM
If the install disc works with your computer's USB and your mobo supports USB drive booting, this should be a piece of cake.
Good luck. :D

nfoav8or
01-23-2009, 12:28 AM
when I first started using OSx86 with Tiger in 2006, I was running it off an external drive because I didn't want to dedicate my system to OS X yet. Ali C is correct... as long as your BIOS supports external drive booting then any drive that is recognized during the BIOS boot should work. The same is true for flash drives. I use two 8GB flash drives as installers for my retail 10.5.0 Leopard DVD and 10.5.4 Server DVD so I am able to install these systems to my Hackintosh as needed (mostly needed for testing).

I run all my test systems on external drives... I really don't think it matters what rpm the drive is because speed is solely relying on your USB speed. USB 2.0 or Firewire is (of course) best in these instances.

For best results don't make your system too graphic intensive either as this will suck the speed needed for other data transmissions over the USB connection.

oneshot
01-23-2009, 08:33 AM
Thank you both for giving me the answers I wanted =))