PDA

View Full Version : Help for a fresh install...

braid
01-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Hello there.
I was using the zeph 10.5.2 rev II on my system and it was ok, only the nforce LAN driver must be changed but not a big deal. Now here is the problem:

- I got a 500gb sata II hd last week. 50gb for OS (vista) and the rest for storage.
- I want so much to come back to osx now because I use a Imac at work, but:

last time I use it, it stores the .DS_Files .Trashes and some .Icon _Icon, on ntfs partition and I could NOT remove it, even in windows. I'm afraid it will happen again. So there is some option to do not allow the system to make those kind of files?

I have this hardware now: a64 3500+ , a8n sli se (nforce 4), 500gb sata II WD, 2gb ram, 6600gt.
What dist. do you guys recommend for me? Should I stay in the zeph's? or try something new?

thanks.

Voyn1x
01-22-2009, 02:19 PM
These hidden files are made by OS X, not specific to Zephs release.

When connecting to windows shares at work I use a program called Blueharvest which prevents these hidden files from being left behind. It's payware at $US12.95, but well worth it imho. :)

http://zeroonetwenty.com/blueharvest/

braid
01-22-2009, 02:48 PM
I heard about Onyx (I think that's the name of it) can prevent those files to be written. It that true? There is other program like BlueHarvest but free?

and again, I know that those files are created by the system and not the release itself. But should I keep the zeph 10.5.2 rev 2 for my system or should I try something new?

eMatoS
01-22-2009, 05:03 PM
Onyx can avoid finder from creating thoes DS_Files over a lan. Havenīt used it yet.

Dies
01-22-2009, 06:09 PM
There is other program like BlueHarvest but free?

Yes, a simple script. ;)

#!/bin/bash
arg=$#
if [ $arg -ne 1 ]; then

echo
echo "Script Usage"
echo
echo "clean /Volumes/Windows"
echo
echo "Script accepts/requires only one argument, the directory to be cleaned"
echo

else

# Clean Unix hiddden files

find $1 -name *._.* -type f -exec rm -f '{}' \;
find $1 -name *.DS_Store* -type f -exec rm -f '{}' \;
find $1 -name *.Trash* -type f -exec rm -f '{}' \;
find $1 -name *.Temporary* -type f -exec rm -f '{}' \;
find $1 -name *.fseventsd* -type f -exec rm -f '{}' \;
find $1 -name *.directory* -type f -exec rm -f '{}' \;

#Clean Windows hidden files

#find $1 -name *Thumbs.db* -type f -exec rm -f '{}' \;
#find $1 -name *folder.jpg* -type f -exec rm -f '{}' \;
#find $1 -name *AlbumArtSmall.jpg* -type f -exec rm -f '{}' \;

fi

Copy and paste the above into a file named clean, move it to /usr/bin/ and make it executable.

i.e.

Open a terminal and type

sudo vi /usr/bin/clean

hit 'i' to insert, then copy and paste the script, now hit escape, then shift+zz to save and make it executable with

sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/clean

Before you log out just run it on the partition you want cleaned.

As far as what distro to use, there is no reason to use a "distro" anymore... use retail.

Edit -

Before anyone goes there... :D

There's no reason to run a "distro" anymore beyond figuring out what kexts you need and setting up your drive is what I meant. ;)

braid
01-23-2009, 12:00 PM
OK. I got the idea. But... every time I log off, I have to execute the script? I dont like the ideia, I'm sure that there is a way to make this automatic but what if we just don't allow the system to create those files instead keep deleting them?

Well, in fact I'd love to install retail. But it is possible? I mean, how can I do that? There is a thread explaining ? Because every place I go, there's so many things to do like "install the distro, make sure your first boot are -f; then use the tool xxx for patch and then kext xxxx to that!"
I'm going crazy. I'd love to install chameleon or 123 and put the retail dvd, install the kexts and update. BUT HOW can I do that, using this hardware???

thanks

Dies
01-24-2009, 01:18 AM
OK. I got the idea. But... every time I log off, I have to execute the script? I dont like the ideia, I'm sure that there is a way to make this automatic but what if we just don't allow the system to create those files instead keep deleting them?

Quite frankly I don't see the issue? Exactly how many times a day/week are you going to switch between OS'es that this becomes a chore? Personally, I couldn't care less about these files being created. I hardly ever use my real Windows install ( I mostly use Linux/BSD ) so I hardly ever have to look at them. I'm more concerned about silly files created by Windows when I happen to use it.

Well, in fact I'd love to install retail. But it is possible? I mean, how can I do that? There is a thread explaining ? Because every place I go, there's so many things to do like "install the distro, make sure your first boot are -f; then use the tool xxx for patch and then kext xxxx to that!"
I'm going crazy. I'd love to install chameleon or 123 and put the retail dvd, install the kexts and update. BUT HOW can I do that, using this hardware???

thanks

Get a drive you can dedicate to OS X, install whatever distro works best for you using GUID, this way you have a working install to experiment from, then follow munky's guide to prep for your retail install by formatting the EFI partition and placing the latest voodoo kernel along with your required kexts on it.

http://www.infinitemac.com/f19/howto-efi-partition-booting-zero-modification-installs-on-t1609/

or use available scripts like

http://pcwizcomputer.com/blog/?p=463

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=143222

Ianxxx
01-25-2009, 06:24 PM
Doesn't this do that?
touch /Volumes/partitionName/.fseventsd/no_log

Dies
01-26-2009, 01:16 AM
Doesn't this do that?
touch /Volumes/partitionName/.fseventsd/no_log

Nope.

They are all separate things. While that will stop the system from logging file system events on that particular drive it will not stop Finder from creating DS_Store files to remember views and it definitely won't stop resource forks from being written. A .Trash directory and TemporaryItems will also almost always be created.