PDA

View Full Version : (newbie) Where to start ?

parsa28
01-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Hey there and thanks for your time,
I'm planning to develop for iPhone and I never owned a Mac. I don't want to invest ~$1000 in this(getting a mac, software,etc) yet. So I decided giving OSx86 a try. I got 2 PCs here. The first one is:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+ (SSE3 probably)
MB: Asus M2N-E
RAM: 2x512 DDR2 dual-channel
Graphics: GeForce 7200
IDE Hard disk and dvd-r device.

And the 2nd one is intel core2 duo(SSE2, with a lower clock and cache than the AMD) based on a P5G-MX Asus board with onboard graphics.
I don't care about graphics or networking much.
Any suggestions/guidelines on where to start from and if it's a good decision or not?

Thanks again, for your time,
Parsa

erick2red
01-23-2009, 02:11 PM
start trying, get a iso from one of the osx86 distros, and start try, first do some research about your chipset and which kext (aka drivers) u need for it, and then come here with your doubts/troubles, we (or at least i'll try to help u)

zuz242
01-23-2009, 02:37 PM
my advice would be installing on an external hdd first.
if you got an usb disk (or evan a 8gb usb memory stick should work) it is easy to install on that disk first, maybe on a 10gb partition. only prequesite is you bios allowing to boot from usb.
the advantage is:
1. no impact on running system - no danger of ruining windows install
2. avoiding "driver" problems with unsupported (ide) chipset (but usb might cause problems instead ;) )
3. having a spare osx install for troubleshooting later, if you decide to intall native on pc.

go for it

;)