PDA

View Full Version : Installing & patching 10.5 flat img

samurai_47
01-23-2009, 06:30 PM
i just got a copy of Leopard 10.5 flat image and im confused as to weither it can only run on SSE2 Intel CPUs or both Intel and AMD. if not is there a way to patch the kernel to work with AMD. btw my CPU is an AMD Turion 64 x2 TL-62 and supports SSE, SSE2, & SSE3. I dont need help installing the image just wondering if itll run on my CPU, so no lengthy guides, thanks.

samurai_47

cmdshft
01-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Get out of the stoneage and use a real installer DVD.

samurai_47
01-23-2009, 09:24 PM
hmmm i would but every DVD ive tried fails to find my HDD on both my desktop and laptop.

cmdshft
01-23-2009, 10:53 PM
Have you heard of iPC...?

samurai_47
01-23-2009, 11:46 PM
yeah sir, that doesnt work either. i have a generic AMD OS 10.5.1, LawlessPPC Phenon & AMD 10.5, and OSX86 Beta.

Anyways... back to my original question.... would i be able to patch the flat image to run on AMD and nforce/nvidia?

cmdshft
01-24-2009, 01:50 AM
Only if there are PPF's for it. Otherwise, no.

nfoav8or
01-24-2009, 02:47 AM
well technically... yes.

You can use TransMac to access this drive from within windows and also to place it on the hard drive in the first place. You can then manipulate the drive to fix the OS to work with your system.

I do agree with Hara Taiki in that you may not get it running with your system if you aren't able to install it from any of the distros out there for OSx86, but I think you can at least tinker with the flat installed image through Transmac.

cmdshft
01-24-2009, 04:11 AM
It's a lot harder with Transmac or MacDrive, because if the OS X drive panics, you have to force restart, which doesn't properly sync the drive, forcing you to reboot that drive first before doing mods through Windows, otherwise in Windows it will whine about corruption. And if it panics before you can get into -s, then it's even worse.

nfoav8or
01-24-2009, 04:25 AM
you use Transmac from within Windows to manipulate the drive when running windows but you aren't using Transmac to RUN OSx86... you restart the computer after the manipulation so you don't have to worry about corruption through Windows.

cmdshft
01-24-2009, 04:30 AM
you use Transmac from within Windows to manipulate the drive when running windows but you aren't using Transmac to RUN OSx86... you restart the computer after the manipulation so you don't have to worry about corruption through Windows.

I think you misread. I know you're not using it to boot OS X. The problem is when you have OS X booted and it panics or doesn't get to a point where you can avoid a hard reboot. You wont be able to make changes through Transmac in Windows because the OS X disk never synchs properly when you hard reset from a panic or incomplete boot due to an error.

nfoav8or
01-24-2009, 04:49 AM
ah, I see what you are saying now....

well this is a chance you have to be willing to take if the proper steps are taken to ensure no kernel panic. This is pretty simple when you consider it doesn't take too much to research the needed files for hardware these days.

cmdshft
01-24-2009, 05:02 AM
Now that I think about it, is the turon proc even supported by Voodoo?

nfoav8or
01-24-2009, 05:26 AM
hmmm. yes, you're right. in the documentation the Turon processor is not listed as being one that was tested to work. My bad.

cmdshft
01-24-2009, 06:11 AM
Yeah, I don't think the Turon is supported by any distro, strictly because the kernels don't support it. Not much can be done other than trying to contact the Voodoo/Chameleon team and coax them into supporting the Turon in the upcoming 9.6.0 kernel.

samurai_47
01-24-2009, 07:45 AM
oh well, ill try anyways just to see what i get. somethings better than nothing.im installing on a USB HDD anyways i can always just reformat.. thanks for info though.