PDA

View Full Version : iPC PPF 5 install on AMD: Issues

prashanthv
01-23-2009, 07:58 PM
After trying and failing miserably for eons with iPC PPF 1,2,3,4 and Leo4all4.1 and VMware with every possible combination of drives, boot arguments, sacrificial goats and vows of celibacy.....iPC with PPF 5 booted into the installer on my system. Unfortunately, it did not detect my PS2 mouse or keyboard. I panicked and pulled out the USB mouse from my laptop and proceeded with the install. It's going on now. Will take some time.

What i wanted to know is whether my PS2 keyboard/mouse detection issue can be solved or do i need to sell my kidney to raise cash for USB ones?

------------------------

As i was writing this, my installer failed due to a disk error so I am trying to install to a USB. hopefully that works. if not, i will probably have to kill another goat.

prashanthv
01-24-2009, 05:08 AM
okay. so install failed again. it just says files could not be installed to the volume untitled1_2 (no keyboard so couldn't change that).
any ideas how i could fix this?
any help is greatly appreciated.

prashanthv
01-24-2009, 05:06 PM
I finally got my desktop to run iPC OSx86.
It's installed on an external hard disk. I have to boot up with -v -f or it doesn't work though.

A few issues/questions:
1. System Information shows that QE is not supported and CI is software only. My graphics card, GeForce 8500GT should support QE/CI according to the HCL. What can I do to get this to work?
2. My external hard drive that I'm running OSX off is basically an IDE hard disk in an external USB enclosure. I have one other IDE har drive(internal) that I'm running XP on. If i just pull the IDE hard disk out of the enclosure and put it internally as IDE, can I set up a dual boot or do I need to reinstall iPC all over again?
3.My IDE drive(NTFS) did not show up inside OSX while my SATA drive(FAT32) did.How do I check if this is because if not recognizing IDE or not recognizing NTFS, because I did select NTFS-3G-Fuse at install.
4. Any chance there's a way I could lose the -v -f at boot up. Doesn't matter if I can't but it would be nice that's all.

Any help is greatly appreciated. This forum is why I got this far in the first place. So thanks everyone.

cmdshft
01-24-2009, 06:35 PM
1. System Information shows that QE is not supported and CI is software only. My graphics card, GeForce 8500GT should support QE/CI according to the HCL. What can I do to get this to work?

You can try using an EFI string from UInstaller or EFIStudio. Or use NVInject or NVdarwin, plus add your devID to the appropriate nvidia kexts.

2. My external hard drive that I'm running OSX off is basically an IDE hard disk in an external USB enclosure. I have one other IDE har drive(internal) that I'm running XP on. If i just pull the IDE hard disk out of the enclosure and put it internally as IDE, can I set up a dual boot or do I need to reinstall iPC all over again?

It's possible. I also have an IDE hard drive in an external enclosure, but I use it for storage, not an OS, so I haven't tried that, though I do use IDE drives for booting my OS X and (if I have it installed) Windows (each on their own drive).

3.My IDE drive(NTFS) did not show up inside OSX while my SATA drive(FAT32) did.How do I check if this is because if not recognizing IDE or not recognizing NTFS, because I did select NTFS-3G-Fuse at install.

This is a bug with the Mac OS X installer that you boot into. I do not see my external NTFS drive when I am booting the install DVD, but it shows up when I get into the actual system after installing, and I can write to it provided I install the MacFUSE+NTFS-3G package.

4. Any chance there's a way I could lose the -v -f at boot up. Doesn't matter if I can't but it would be nice that's all.

Do you mean not having to type them at all? If so, you need to mod com.apple.Boot.plist and add those flags to the kernel flags part of the file. To do this, open up terminal and type:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

This will bring up the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs$
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
</dict>
</plist>

In the empty <string></string>, you need to add -v -f, so it looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs$
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v -f</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
</dict>
</plist>

If you want to use the graphical boot, then you can simply just take out the -v part.

prashanthv
01-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Okay, so here's another round of issues.

1. I used the OSx86 Tools I installed with iPC to install EFI on my external drive which has OSX, but it wouldn't do it saying installation was not completed. I tried it a few times with the same result.

2. sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist does not exist. Neither does the folder SystenConfiguration. And I couldn't find com.apple.Boot.plist in that folder or using finder.

If anyone knows what I can do to solve these issues, that'd be great. Thanks.

prashanthv
01-26-2009, 05:21 AM
Bump. Really need help with the issues here. At least the first one.

prashanthv
01-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Re-bump with added question. Please help

This might be a noob question but can I boot up with my iPC dvd again and just add/remove components from my already installed OSX. And how would I go about doing this?

Thanks.