PDA

View Full Version : Vanilla Kernel just reboots

aquanutz
01-28-2009, 10:10 PM
I know others have experienced this but I can not seem to find a solid lead on solving this issue for me. I can boot any other kernel just fine. I installed iPC 10.5.6 (this also happened with iDeneb and any other distro) and if I try to boot up with the vanilla kernel the machine just reboots right after the Darwin bootloader.

My board is a P43Twins1600 and I have all the hardware working running a C2D E8400.

Thanks for any insight guys.

milanca
02-03-2009, 11:45 AM
hmm.. vanilla, apple stock kernel usually works on c2d's and i also heard it works great on E8400. Could be (your restart problems) due to some acpiplatform problems or some bios settings. Do you have chameleon properly installed? When darwin promt appears you should boot with '-v' flag to see the cause of your kernel panic.

aquanutz
02-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the reply, Milanca.

I would imagine that Chameleon is installed properly, I just did a normal install from iPC. I am not sure of the acpiplatform causing but another person that has the same board has the same bios settings as me and he can run vanilla. Should I try another acpiplatform kext?

aquanutz
02-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Scratch the above, I disabled speed step, enabled acpi2 and enabled Execute Disable in my BIOS and I'm running vanilla right now. WAHOO!

milanca
02-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Great you made it work. As i assumeed its acpi or something with bios. Some boards require bios tweaks, once you find what it wants it will work just fine ;-) regards dude

aquanutz
02-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Thanks again!