PDA

View Full Version : Mac on an Hp desktop?

_J_
01-29-2009, 03:31 AM
well I am new here, but not exactly new to osx86....
I have been successful in installing mac os x on my laptop, a toshiba, its running kalyway 10.5.2 with a few minor adjustments...

Now, I cant seem to find any support for my desktop Hp Pavilion a6530f...
I was hoping on putting a retail version on, but i dont have a single clue as to if its compatible, because i can not find a single "retail compatible" thread, board, or simply forum. Anyhow, I would now prefer to get mac up and running again..

Yeah, i said again, as it would seem, i installed Ideneb 10.5.5 about a month ago, give or take a few weeks....Now get this, i try to re-install os x, because it had vista on it, with the same DVD i used before....Partition, select amd patch and install....restart and i get either an infinite reboot, or this "stop sign" ok, so i scrounge around for an answer, even try other distro's like leo4all, kalyway, etc. etc. even IPC 10.5.6 wont work....

I read around tried a few solutions and no luck, bummer eh? well maybe not, i may have some sort of luck if i was given appropriate help or direction, mind helping me?

If so here is my hardware (in short)
A full list of my machines specs can be found here- http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01463060&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3740336

Hp desktop:
Phenom-8450 (T) 2.1 GHz (95W) 3 cores
GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 nvidia graphics
Asus motherboard:M2N68-LA aka Narra3-GL8E
4 gigs of ram DDR2 SDRAM...
HD: 640 GB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec) 7200 rpm
16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe SATA drive

built in sound, graphics....

All in the same mobo nothing replaced/touched....

Now i did add a few things -an old atheros wireless card, that is confirmed to work on a 32bit vista, with TrendNet drivers....and an even older 12 Gb ATA maxtor (i believe) HD which is holding vista.

When in installing anything this is my setup:
12 GB Maxtor HD is unplugged fully.
Insert burned DVD-rw or dvd-R I tried both disks, both failed...
Turn pc on hold Esc, load boot menu, select cd/dvd wait....
let osx load, and install with a bare AMD patch and xnu kernel...or i have tried without anything and also once without the kernel.

Nothing works...well it appears to install, then an annoying sign comes up....

Using -v the still waiting for root device is showing up.....

With this same dvd as i used last time i am getting this sign and root device error...

I have tried mostly everything kalyway,ideneb,iatkos,IPC, etc.....and all either never load (just restarts) or fails.....

Any help would be most appreciated, as i have but alas no luck....

Thanks and sorry for the long post....

OrangeJuice
01-31-2009, 12:00 AM
It is not possible to run a vanilla copy on AMD machines. However any modern distro should work however you need to burn your DVDs at a slow speed.

_J_
02-01-2009, 03:27 AM
Hey, thank you for the info it helped big time...

Also, i will reburn in roxio toast 10 at 1x and try again....

Ps-when i try formatting or just erasing etc. It wont let me, the Master boot record wont let me format/erase etc. at all, but guid and mac partition works...also the master boot record will work if i choose two partitions...weird.

Any ideas to why?

please and thank you ;).

cmdshft
02-01-2009, 03:34 AM
It is not possible to run a vanilla copy on AMD machines. However any modern distro should work however you need to burn your DVDs at a slow speed.

Sounds like you missed out on a lot lately. :-*

_J_
02-01-2009, 03:52 AM
I guess i will search "vanilla on amd"

But mind filling me in on this "missed" news? Thanks anyway.

cmdshft
02-01-2009, 03:59 AM
Voodoo kernel + iPC = Near Vanilla boot on AMD plus near vanilla install on AMD, no more manual CPUID and opcode patching and other fancy AMD stuff, which means more disk space available and faster overall system response.

_J_
02-01-2009, 04:04 AM
Now thats downright awesome......

Unfortunately IPC nor lawless will work for my desktop any ideas as to why?
I am not so arrogant as to be a total n00b, If i have to spend hours reading i will, but its just tiring, especially for me, since its been around 3-4months....:(.

Anyway, IPC gives me ( i guess) a kernel panic and reboots instantly, can i patch it somehow to stop that?

Lawless I believe either does the same, or gives me the *still waiting for root device symbol/logo/pic. and with -v it tells me....

Thanks for any help....and I am willing to try other stuff to get it working.

Also, I still am un-able to format/erase my internal WD HDD to a master boot record style....-It gives me an error that the formatter failed....but i can do it if two partitions are made at once? weird, ontop of that i know the HD is perfectly fine because vista eternity 09 by Benjamin was running seamlessly alongside the atheros wireless and maxtor HD.

Daverto
02-01-2009, 04:32 AM
@_j_, you need to install the Nforce ATA Chipset drivers by Me Devil and the forcedeth (not V!!) drivers for ethernet. That will get you pas the still waiting for root device.

I am not so arrogant as to be a total n00b, If i have to spend hours reading i will, but its just tiring, especially for me, since its been around 3-4months....:(.

Anyway, IPC gives me ( i guess) a kernel panic and reboots instantly, can i patch it somehow to stop that?

Lawless I believe either does the same, or gives me the *still waiting for root device symbol/logo/pic. and with -v it tells me....

Also, I still am un-able to format/erase my internal WD HDD to a master boot record style....-It gives me an error that the formatter failed....but i can do it if two partitions are made at once? weird, ontop of that i know the HD is perfectly fine because vista eternity 09 by Benjamin was running seamlessly alongside the atheros wireless and maxtor HD.

_J_
02-01-2009, 04:35 AM
I will try it with ideneb hopefully it sports those customizations...

And I will post back within another 30mins with results, or i will try again with lawless, if i can find it 0_o....I have so many nameless dvd's now lol.

cmdshft
02-01-2009, 04:49 AM

Does the iPC DVD not boot, or can you go through the installation, and then you have the issue when trying to boot the newly installed setup?

I would try what Daverto has said, he's more familiar with nForce boards than I am, I don't have anyway to test those boards. Please try with iPC again if you can, I would like to enable you to not have to use more disc space than you have to (because of the decrypted files, patched CPUID's and opcodes), iDeneb doesn't have the features that we have with using the voodoo kernel to boot the DVD.

_J_
02-01-2009, 05:03 AM

Lawless 10.5
Partitioned as mac os x journaled guid partition table
Custom opt chosen:
-Nforce: Nforce 2/3/4/5 chipset driver
-Forcedeth driver
outcome:
in about 0 mins....finished...Restarting and
success!!!!!!!! *Jumps around abit* well, that was a long process, I will take a few minutes for inventory and post up on what drivers or kexts I may need....Although I will most likely find those on my own.
Be back in a few...

ps is there supposed to be sound with the reg. Page? i am hearing nothing...Audio drivers maybe? and the wireless does not seem to work, but to be honest if it were not for the help i got this week from everyone here at infinite mac I would have never got it done, so I truly thank you all ;)....

Be back in a few.

Ps:
IPC 10.5.6 universal burned at 1x with toast by roxio using a dvd-r from staples.....It just restarts, no install screen, or setup at least.....Beyond weird, because from what i have heard/read and seen that distro is truly universal for pc's....just weird.

cmdshft
02-01-2009, 05:23 AM
I would recommend, if possible, trying to image the iPC ISO to the HD and boot into it through that, this is how I do my install DVD's.

You can do this from within Windows with the "Leopard Install Helper" program. I've downloaded it from InsanelyMac and made it available here: Download (http://hara.ipwn.me/other/files/other/mac/osx86/utils/Leopard_hd_install_helper_v0.3.zip)

Here's the guide that was posted there by twilight.lee

Windows XP , 2000 , 2003 only , vista NOT Tested!
===========================================
Guide:
Step 1: Format a PRIMARY FAT32 partition . (Make sure no file or directory) <--- We called this partition as Install Partition
Step 2: Use DiskPart create a PRIMARY partition for leopard install in. See below for more info. <--- We called this partition as Destination Partition
Step 3: Run "Leopard HD install helper" and select a ISO file.
Step 4: Select target partition and Click "Start" Button.
Step 5: When its done . reboot.
Now , you can install leopard from HD , the rest steps are same as use DVD to install. good luck!

NOTE: The "Start" button will disabled when the partition has file or directory , check if has "System volume Information" directory. If "Start" button still disabled , try re-select iso file , try re-select target partition , try check , uncheck "write" checkbox. It's wierd.

Use as your own RISK!
======================================

Important:

If the Install Partition can't boot , please check the partition is active and it's ID is AF.

Otherwise , use partition tools such as Paragon Partition Manager change it.

Remober: Do NOT format the Install Partition. what you need to to is mark the Install Partition to active

and change the ID of the Install Partition to AF.

=======================================

PS: I think "add tboot to boot.ini" may be NOT necessary , the below tow check boxes "Force write boot code and make it bootable" and "PC_EFI V8"
are key point.
Be sure the Install Partition is PRIMARY partition and is active, the Install Partition should be boot.

Now, for the part the was said "See Below":

Posted by setec:

Launch CMD and follow the steps.
C:\>diskpart
select disk 0
create partition primary id=af

Whatever free space was unused is now an apple partition

Before leaving diskpart, make sure the partition you want is active. For some stupid reason, by default, when you create a new partition, it wants to make that new partition active.

Then:
list partition
select partion x
Replace x with the # that you want to be active

Then:
active

You may now quit CMD.

_J_
02-01-2009, 05:38 AM
I would recommend, if possible, trying to image the iPC ISO to the HD and boot into it through that, this is how I do my install DVD's.

You can do this from within Windows with the "Leopard Install Helper" program. I've downloaded it from InsanelyMac and made it available here: Download (http://hara.ipwn.me/other/files/other/mac/osx86/utils/Leopard_hd_install_helper_v0.3.zip)

Here's the guide that was posted there by twilight.lee

Now, for the part the was said "See Below":

Posted by setec:

Ok, I will most definitely try that. Though I will most likely act buggish for a few details shortly or later, but it does not seem impossible to do, nor that bad..

Ok from the report of my system:

Mac os X 10.5.4 Lawless is installed, runs smooth and fast, 4 gigs or ram is seen, 2.1ghz as the CPU speed, but no processor, and I will guess due to the whole phenom thing.

Sound is a no
internet and possibly ethernet (no ethernet in my room) is a no
USB:works, and thats a first lol.
only 1 processor seen under more details
dvd burner is working or is seen
firewire (i dont use it) is seen
My WD HDD is seen, no Maxtor (figured)

and thats about it....

I will continue to look at getting it up and more stable...Hopefully

I cant really explain how thankful i am, and greateful but i am, and thank you once again....

will be back in a few more: Reading on the ISO on HD Trick.

_J_
02-01-2009, 05:45 AM
Mind clearing this up for me?
"Replace x with the # that you want to be active"

Can I just put 0 or 1 instead of x? would that be appropriate? other than that everything seems clear...

I may have to install xp onto the maxtor but thats ok to me for the cause...
Thank you ;).

cmdshft
02-01-2009, 06:42 AM
Mind clearing this up for me?
"Replace x with the # that you want to be active"

Can I just put 0 or 1 instead of x? would that be appropriate? other than that everything seems clear...

I may have to install xp onto the maxtor but thats ok to me for the cause...
Thank you ;).

It's better to use an algebraic place holder when trying to explain something that can have multiple values or options.

I see you have Lawless running. You can actually at this point (if you used GUID for formatting your HD unless it's on the same drive as Windows then you can't do this) resize the partition in Disk Utility, restore the ISO image to another partition, install Chameleon bootloader to the new partition and boot that way. Loads easier than that Windows garbage.

Daverto
02-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Sound is a no
internet and possibly ethernet (no ethernet in my room) is a no
USB:works, and thats a first lol.
only 1 processor seen under more details
dvd burner is working or is seen
firewire (i dont use it) is seen
My WD HDD is seen, no Maxtor (figured)

I want to go ahead and head to this spot, due to the fact that it is running, I am glad that the chipset drivers did work.

Lets pull some information about your computer, some deviceIDs etc.

If you do not already have it, download the OSX86 Tools that you can get here.

http://pcwizcomputer.com/osx86tools/

Once downloaded, launch the program and click on View PCI Device/Vendor ID. When you click on this, it will want to install a small script, it is the script that actually pulls the device/vendor ids. Install it and reboot. Relaunch OSX86 tools, and Hit the View PCI Device/Vendor ID, once you do that, a new window comes up, hit Run LSPCI and type your password. Then you should get something that looks a little like this:
00:00.0 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge [10de:02f0] (rev a2)
00:00.1 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 0 [10de:02fa] (rev a2)
00:00.2 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 1 [10de:02fe] (rev a2)
00:00.3 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 5 [10de:02f8] (rev a2)
00:00.4 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 4 [10de:02f9] (rev a2)
00:00.5 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge [10de:02ff] (rev a2)
00:00.6 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 3 [10de:027f] (rev a2)
00:00.7 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 2 [10de:027e] (rev a2)
00:02.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge [10de:02fc] (rev a1)
00:03.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge [10de:02fd] (rev a1)
00:04.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge [10de:02fb] (rev a1)
00:09.0 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Host Bridge [10de:0270] (rev a2)
00:0a.0 ISA bridge [0601]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 LPC Bridge [10de:0260] (rev a3)
00:0a.1 SMBus [0c05]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 SMBus [10de:0264] (rev a3)
00:0a.2 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Memory Controller 0 [10de:0272] (rev a3)
00:0b.0 USB Controller [0c03]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller [10de:026d] (rev a3)
00:0b.1 USB Controller [0c03]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller [10de:026e] (rev a3)
00:0e.0 IDE interface [0101]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller [10de:0266] (rev a1)
00:0f.0 IDE interface [0101]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller [10de:0267] (rev a1)
00:10.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI Bridge [10de:026f] (rev a2)
00:10.1 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio [10de:026c] (rev a2)
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc RV630 [Radeon HD 2600 Series] [1002:9589]
03:00.1 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc RV630/M76 audio device [Radeon HD 2600 Series] [1002:aa08]
04:07.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX [14e4:170c] (rev 02)

Paste that information into the forum here.

_J_
02-03-2009, 10:01 PM
I want to say before anything, our of respect continuously....You guys have been more than helpful and out of the entire web this is the place that helped me the most for my mac troubles ;). SO thank you.

Attached is the image of the info....a screenshot.

THANK YOU for all the help guys ;).

The whole two day no reply thing was due to a problem with my internet, i apologize for the delay or annoyance this had caused anyone. I truly am sorry....

UPDATE: I found my exact wireless card from the manufac. Website here it is :
http://www.trendnet.com/downloads/list_subcategory.asp?SUBTYPE_ID=753&SUBMIT=Go

But i cant find any mac drivers though....

_J_
02-03-2009, 10:03 PM
It's better to use an algebraic place holder when trying to explain something that can have multiple values or options.

I see you have Lawless running. You can actually at this point (if you used GUID for formatting your HD unless it's on the same drive as Windows then you can't do this) resize the partition in Disk Utility, restore the ISO image to another partition, install Chameleon bootloader to the new partition and boot that way. Loads easier than that Windows garbage.

I would but, i have vista ultimate (hp edition) running in a separate hdd. with wireless and bluetooth working :D...But i appreciate the suggestion and your reply.

Also, I was able to get sound working from a driver in the lawless dvd....

Daverto
02-04-2009, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the screenshot, but I can't read the text! Can you copy/paste the output here?

Thanks,
Daverto

I want to say before anything, our of respect continuously....You guys have been more than helpful and out of the entire web this is the place that helped me the most for my mac troubles ;). SO thank you.

Attached is the image of the info....a screenshot.

THANK YOU for all the help guys ;).

The whole two day no reply thing was due to a problem with my internet, i apologize for the delay or annoyance this had caused anyone. I truly am sorry....

UPDATE: I found my exact wireless card from the manufac. Website here it is :
http://www.trendnet.com/downloads/list_subcategory.asp?SUBTYPE_ID=753&SUBMIT=Go

But i cant find any mac drivers though....

_J_
02-04-2009, 01:00 AM
sorry i was gone, I am watching my brother -_-.....
This is from the txt file that was saved on my HDD.
here you go:

00:00.0 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller [10de:03ea] (rev a1)
00:01.0 ISA bridge [0601]: nVidia Corporation MCP61 LPC Bridge [10de:03e0] (rev a2)
00:01.1 SMBus [0c05]: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SMBus [10de:03eb] (rev a2)
00:01.2 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller [10de:03f5] (rev a2)
00:02.0 USB Controller [0c03]: nVidia Corporation MCP61 USB Controller [10de:03f1] (rev a3)
00:02.1 USB Controller [0c03]: nVidia Corporation MCP61 USB Controller [10de:03f2] (rev a3)
00:04.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI bridge [10de:03f3] (rev a1)
00:05.0 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio [10de:03f0] (rev a2)
00:06.0 IDE interface [0101]: nVidia Corporation MCP61 IDE [10de:03ec] (rev a2)
00:07.0 Bridge [0680]: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Ethernet [10de:03ef] (rev a2)
00:08.0 IDE interface [0101]: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SATA Controller [10de:03f6] (rev a2)
00:08.1 IDE interface [0101]: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SATA Controller [10de:03f6] (rev a2)
00:09.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge [10de:03e8] (rev a2)
00:0b.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge [10de:03e9] (rev a2)
00:0c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge [10de:03e9] (rev a2)
00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 [10de:03d0] (rev a2)
01:05.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394) [0c00]: Agere Systems FW323 [11c1:5811] (rev 70)
01:0a.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5513 802.11abg Wireless NIC [168c:0020] (rev 01)

Ergodic
06-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Daverto,
Had a similar problem. I found that if I wiped the hard drive with "Dariks Boot and Nuke" program that IPC installed fine with no kernel panic. My first installation was with a clean hard drive and I didn't have any problems. When I tried a reinstall I had kernel panic. I had the problem with Mac not formatting and always it was a matter of wiping the hard drive with boot and nuke. I tried other things but nothing worked but that program. I had the same problem with iDeneb.

Mac format would not work. Nothing worked to wipe the hard drive and stop the kernel panic but the d-ban wipe named Dariks boot and nuke. I downloaded a the Ultimate CD from the internet. It had lots of useful stuff on it.

I learned that if I wanted to save time with the hard drive wipe, I just did a quick wipe with d-ban and quit after it got to 10%, which is about 20 minutes. This stopped the kernel panic. If I wiped the whole disk it took me 3 hours. As for the rebooting that might be a different problem. You might have two problems instead of one.:-/

I hope this helps. I see your post is from several months ago. You may have solved this by now.

I have an HP d7 1260us Pavilion laptop that I installed Mac on but it was Ideneb. I got everything working but the Atheros 5009 wireless driver. IPC has a 5007 but that won't work for me.

Let me know if this helped. Good luck.