PDA

View Full Version : Issue with OSx86 Tools, EFIStudio while editing boot arguments

prashanthv
01-29-2009, 02:00 PM
I've tried adding -v -f to boot arguments using both OSx86 Tools and EFI Studio and the same thing happens. I get a boot0: error and I have to reinstall iPC to get anywhere. A search using finder for Boot.plist so i can edit it myself is unsuccessful.

I had tried Install EFI/Boot Arguments to install the EFI boot loader before but it said DD unsuccessful and when I restarted i got the boot0: error again.

I have NVKush installed and i NEED to boot with -f and it is inconvenient to type it every boot up.

Any ideas why this happens? Or how can I solve this issue?

Dies
01-30-2009, 03:42 AM
While those programs are nice for beginners, as you just found out it's always better to just do things yourself so you know exactly what's going on. ;)

If you're famililar with vi, open a terminal and do

sudo vi /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

edit and save. If you have no idea what vi is, then just use Finder to navigate to that folder and drag the file onto your desktop, open it, make your edits and save, then drag it back to that folder. It should ask you to authenticate, and whether to replace or not.

Now go read up on vi, since it's a standard on every *nix. :D

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/02/21/vi_intro.html

On a side note, NVkush shouldn't require you to boot with -f everytime, if it does you might want to try NVInject and see if that works better for you.