PDA

View Full Version : can I install OSX86 on a sata hardrive?

oneshot
02-06-2009, 03:43 AM
Well I've looked on google and arround on forums a bit and I decided just to post the question =)

When I installed OSX86 way back when, I remember that I had to install it on a IDE Hardrive because It wouldn't recognize my SATA hardrive >_<

This causes problems because my motherboard is set up to support a sata hardrive and 1 CD/DVD player, and since my cable that should be going into my CD/DVD player is used for my Hardrive, I cannot use my CD/DVD player =(

I was wondering if I needa install something on my CD or something like that.

My distro is Kalyway Leopard 10.5.2

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o9/joe_vinci/AboutmyMAC.png

foster
02-06-2009, 03:58 AM
Yes you can install OSX86 on a sata drive
get iPC 10.5.6

oneshot
02-06-2009, 05:35 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll get that if there is no way to get it to work without having to download a huge file.

Does anyone know a way to like modify my DVD to be able to use SATA?

Taisto
02-06-2009, 02:56 PM
Get all ppf patches for the image, it should work. If it doesnt help, youll have to add proper kexts for your sata drive to the mkext package on the dvd ( there are apps made for manipulating those packages, you can find them with no problem )

VeryNice
02-06-2009, 08:51 PM
I have nforce4 MB with new modified AplleNforceATA to allow more than 3 GB of ram and with the new kext I can no longer use my sata dvd drive. This is a known issue with that kext. Either way I wasn't able to burn dvd with the previous kexts either. So yes it will work no problems with your sata hdd but your dvd burner may have issues after install. Good luck !

oneshot
02-07-2009, 12:51 PM
okay, thank you guys for all the help =)

I think I'm going to try and figure out how to install ipc 10.5.6 because it seems the easyest, although when I try to burn the image, my computer keeps saying that the burning failed or some crap like that....

But really thank you for the help, and if ipc doesn't work then I'll go on a hunt for the proper kexts ^_^