PDA

View Full Version : Intel ICH7 mkext issue

digitizedsoul
02-09-2009, 10:27 PM
Question:

Why is it that when I boot from the DVD (iPC 10.5.6 final) the mkext that loads from there contains the AppleIntelpIIxata.kext which loads and produces all my connected hardware, but after installing (and choosing that chipset option) I get still waiting for root device?

Things i've tried since:

I booted from the DVD, and told it rd=disk0s2 (my sata drive) and it will boot just fine that way. But I can now see why, when doing it that way the .mkext that loads is the one from the DVD (the kernel as well) so of course it works.

After getting into the booted up system using that method, I re-installed the AppleIntelPIIxata.kext package from the DVD, repaired permissions, touched extensions folder, cleared extensions all using OsX86 tools and rebooted.

-v -f and still waiting for root device. I noticed as well that AppleIntelPIIxata.kext does NOT visibly load from the HD boot, but DOEs visibly load on the DVD boot

I installed it! Why is it not loading! AHHH!!!!

digitizedsoul
02-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Come on guys I posted this with full detail. Apparently i'm not the only one having issues with ICH7 either.

I just can't understand how the .mkext on the DVD will load the kext, but the HD boot won't even when I -f and force a rebuild of the mkext!!!

digitizedsoul
02-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Just re-installed to check the installer log for anything funky.

At the very end there are two instances of "AppleIntelPIIata.kext has unsatisfied dependencies" but the installer continues on.

Could this be part of the issue? Is there something wrong with the install package on the DVD for this .kext?

???

newbmac
02-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Not sure, I have an ICH7 Pentium D and installed iPC 10.5.6 with the following options. Works great. You didn't list any details on your configuration at all so that might be why not a lot of responses. Anyway, this is what I used to install:

Install Options
Intel ICHX Chipset
9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel
Sata drive icon fix
Dual boot time sync fix
seatbelt.kext
Ps2 keyboard fix (only)

digitizedsoul
02-10-2009, 08:35 PM
That is the same thing I did when installing. PC is a Dell Optiplex GX620, pentium 4 hyperthreading (prescott i assume).

Again, the installer detects the drives and pushes them at full speed just fine, even the DVD drive the installer runs from is on that sata controller.

I choose intel ICHx for chipset as well when insatlling, and also the voodoo kernel and also the seatbelt fix. That is all I choose to keep it simple, i can manually install other packages later.

Still no go :(

digitizedsoul
02-10-2009, 09:38 PM
The cause was the IoPCIfamily.kext fix to properly show PCI devices. With this isntalled, the .kext never loads and the PCI sata adapter as a result is never detected.

Problem solved.

newbmac
02-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Congrats, nice work.