PDA

View Full Version : [Help] OSx86 Installations Fail (distro/kext advice needed, as well)

Simman
04-09-2009, 07:02 PM
I've attempted to install OSx86 via the iPC PPF5 Final distribution and failed miserably. OS X installed when I forgot to choose kexts, and it (of course) failed booting. Now, after I re-partition for a clean install and choose the (seemingly) correct kexts, OS X fails installing around 25%. Tried again this morning, and it was around 90% when I had to leave for school, but I'm sure it failed because the installation bar had stopped.

I also tried iAtkos 5 before, but that wouldn't even boot into the installer. I will try verbose (-v) once I have more time.

Any suggestions about kexts to choose? I think I got the right ones, but I omitted sound.

System specifications are in my signature.

erick2red
04-09-2009, 07:36 PM
better try with iPC Final, and just let us know the outcome

Simman
04-09-2009, 07:56 PM
better try with iPC Final, and just let us know the outcome

That's the one I tried with first, and the one I'm trying with now. I'll update with those results once I get home from work (around 8PM EDT).

I think I chose the right kexts, though. I can update with a list once I get home.

Simman
04-10-2009, 04:05 AM
Update:

When I got home, the installation had failed. I proceeded to repeat the partitioning process.

After removing a couple of applications from my customization choices, I was able to successfully install OSx86 (iPC PPF5 distro) to the drive.

Unfortunately, after trying to boot with -f -v, I got an error. Something around the sound of "timed out waiting for iokit to quiesce", and then a black screen. Any idea?

Taisto
04-10-2009, 01:01 PM
Hmm. i think it may be related to AppleNForceATA.kext, some users reported this error after installing this one. Try to remove it ( back it up first ), and then try again to check if anything changes. Also try to boot in safe mode -x -v and see if anything different happens. Oh, and after the error - give it some time, about 5 minutes, it might go further.

Simman
04-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Hmm. i think it may be related to AppleNForceATA.kext, some users reported this error after installing this one. Try to remove it ( back it up first ), and then try again to check if anything changes. Also try to boot in safe mode -x -v and see if anything different happens. Oh, and after the error - give it some time, about 5 minutes, it might go further.

Yes, I did choose AppleNForceATA (for my chipset). I do not, however, know exactly how to go about removing the kext. I'm using iPC PPF5 Final.

Also, I did -x -v, and got the same result: black screen. Any suggestions?

Edit:

Trying it again, and I found that verbose (-v) mode says (with -x)

AppleNForceATA: found 0 units
AppleNForceAta::free( 0x5439600 )

Oh, and now it says "Still waiting for root device" twice -- this is new.

erick2red
04-10-2009, 07:25 PM
you should try removing that kext that Taisto says.
and
Still waiting for root device"
this is a known issue, dig around to find some solutions

Simman
04-10-2009, 07:38 PM
you should try removing that kext that Taisto says.
and

this is a known issue, dig around to find some solutions

I've been digging and trying this entire time. I've only found one solution, but it was supposed to be included in the iPC PPF5 Final (at least, it was patchable to the iPC PPF5 beta). I don't see the nForceATATest anywhere on the list.

Know any workarounds, or how I could get ApplenForceATATest installed with everything else?

EDIT:

Found and disabled AHCI in the BIOS and AppleNForceATA was working at first (found 1 device), but then it found 0 again...

This is really frustrating. :|

erick2red
04-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Taisto says up there u have to erase the kexts, so:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/
rm -Rf AppleNForceATA.kext
cd ..
chmod -R 755 Extensions
chown -R 0:0 Extensions
touch Extensions
rm -Rf Extensions.*

then reboot "-v -f"

Simman
04-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Taisto says up there u have to erase the kexts, so:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/
rm -Rf AppleNForceATA.kext
cd ..
chmod -R 755 Extensions
chown -R 0:0 Extensions
touch Extensions
rm -Rf Extensions.*
then reboot "-v -f"

USBF: 6.751 AppleUSBOHCI[0x73a1800]::Found a transation which hasn't moved in 5 seconds on bus 0xb, timing out! (Addr: 4, P: 0)
Still waiting for root device
... (etc)
I'm gonna keep looking, but this is a new error that's popped up since I tried that. :/

Edit:

Disabled AHCI again and now I have the error that was showing up BEFORE that one on the list (which I didn't really think was a huge problem):

USBF: 0.711 AppleUSBOHCI[0x73a1800]:CheckSleepCapability - OHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep
... (etc)
Gonna keep looking, had to update my post. By the way, I'm posting on my laptop and installing on my desktop, if anyone wondered how I was responding so quickly.

nfoav8or
04-10-2009, 09:49 PM
to add on to what everyone is replying with, "still waiting for root device" is a known error BUT the cause is an unloaded chipset extension.

to remove an extension you need to boot up into single user mode (this was never stated earlier in this post... come on guys)

but I don't think that is the issue in this case. the NForceATA kext (depending on which variant you are using) only allows a maximum memory of a little under 4GB and since you are using 4GB RAM I think your timeout issues are happening because of this.

Also, the output you are reading from verbose mode about the AppleNForceATA kext "dropping" the device from your earlier post:
"Found and disabled AHCI in the BIOS and AppleNForceATA was working at first (found 1 device), but then it found 0 again..."
this is normal. don't freak out. it happens on mine every time I boot up but it never drops anything.

USBF: 6.751 AppleUSBOHCI[0x73a1800]::Found a transation which hasn't moved in 5 seconds on bus 0xb, timing out! (Addr: 4, P: 0)
This error is occurring because you've got some device attached via USB and it isn't responding. disconnect it unless it is your root hard drive.

First I'd like to test a few things out here. try to fix permissions

boot up into single user mode (-s) then follow erick2red's code (but I've modified it just a bit)
/sbin/mount -uw /
cd /System/Library
chmod -R 755 Extensions/ && chown -R 0:0 Extensions/ && touch Extensions/
rm -Rf Extensions.*
reboot

when you reboot use the boot flags: -f -v maxmem=2048
(remember to include the spaces in between the different flags: "-f" "-v" "maxmem=2048")

Let us know how this works out.

Simman
04-10-2009, 10:00 PM
to add on to what everyone is replying with, "still waiting for root device" is a known error BUT the cause is an unloaded chipset extension.

to remove an extension you need to boot up into single user mode (this was never stated earlier in this post... come on guys)

but I don't think that is the issue in this case. the NForceATA kext (depending on which variant you are using) only allows a maximum memory of a little under 4GB and since you are using 4GB RAM I think your timeout issues are happening because of this.

Also, the output you are reading from verbose mode about the AppleNForceATA kext "dropping" the device from your earlier post:

this is normal. don't freak out. it happens on mine every time I boot up but it never drops anything.

This error is occurring because you've got some device attached via USB and it isn't responding. disconnect it unless it is your root hard drive.

First I'd like to test a few things out here. try to fix permissions

boot up into single user mode (-s) then follow erick2red's code (but I've modified it just a bit)
/sbin/mount -uw /
cd /System/Library
chmod -R 755 Extensions/ && chown -R 0:0 Extensions/ && touch Extensions/
rm -Rf Extensions.*
reboot
when you reboot use the boot flags: -f -v maxmem=2048(remember to include the spaces in between the different flags: "-f" "-v" "maxmem=2048")

Let us know how this works out.

Just came back from looking and troubleshooting more, and can't get over my latest error after doing erick2red's fix:

USBF: 0.708 AppleUSBOHCI[0x4735800]::CheckSleepCapability - OHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep
... (etc)I also tried "-v -f maxmem=2048" -- same error.

Edit (note): The only USB devices attached are my keyboard and mouse.

Simman
04-11-2009, 02:41 AM
I was informed that my system makeup could use the retail DVD with the boot-132 method. I think I'll just do that, because the other chipset driver didn't work, either.

mitchellkza
04-13-2009, 12:57 PM
I cannot speak for the IPC distro as I have not tried it but I have had excellent results with iATKOS 5i (10.5.5) using the FASSL Kernel (Genuine Intel Hardware). Whatever distro you choose you need to make sure you get a good clean copy of the ISO, there are lots of duds floating around the web.