PDA

View Full Version : Random kernel panics on Intel platform

Jib
04-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Hi,

I've been using OSX for few monthson an AMD platform with XxX release. Few weeks ago, I've upgraded my system to get ICH10 motherboard and Intel QuadCore. I'm still using latest XxX release. With my AMD platform, everything was working fine and stable. However with my Intel platform, I've get random kernel panics :( Sometimes, I get KP whereas I'm not on the computer. Sometimes when I'm playing on Age of Empires III

I've tried to repair permissions etc...
I've tried to look in Console, but no log for KP (is it normal ?)
I've disabled sleep mode in OSX

I'm using vanilla kernel, which should be OK.

Could you help me in finding the source of those kernel panics ?
I'm a bit lost...

Thanks !

Bettarg
04-13-2009, 10:29 AM
Did u have a IDE Device ? Dvd Rom or something ?
Boot with Debug mode ( Shame, i dont have the Command at hand ) and write down the KP. Post it here then.

mitchellkza
04-13-2009, 12:50 PM
I have had excellent results with iATKOS 5i (10.5.5), using FASSL Kernel. Perhaps try some of my install options, see this thread (http://www.infinitemac.com/f5/which-osx86-distro-for-intel-core-i7-t2493/).

erick2red
04-13-2009, 01:35 PM
what's tell the KP screen? and if it don't show anything, there some boot flags around that i know force the system to show KP info.

Jib
04-13-2009, 06:10 PM
My HDD and DVD Drive are both on SATA ports.

I'll try the debug mode in order to get more info, because the only thing I'm getting is a semi transparent gray screen with a multi-language message telling me to shutdown my computer.

I thought that the console application would log kernel panics ??

erick2red
04-13-2009, 06:24 PM
yeah console log kernel panics, but i can remember where....i know about some threads here talking about that...

and the issue is what the message says

Bettarg
04-13-2009, 08:06 PM
AFAIK there is no way to Log Kernel Panics to a Logfile.

OSX has two way´s for developer to track Kernal Panics. First is a Lan connection from another Mac. This does not work on Hack´s AFAIK.
Also OSX write Kernel Logs in the PRAM, then write it into a Log file during the next Startup. Problem : We have no PRAM :P ^^

The only way is to force the Kernel to Post a Detail KP. Voodoo Kernels does this Automatic, but Vanilla Kernel needs a Kernel Flag during Startup.

Ahh.. i found it!

debug=0x144

Write this into your com.apple.boot.plist or during Startup as Kernel flag.

Jib
04-13-2009, 11:58 PM
Thanks !
I'll try that, and I hope that it will help me to find the KP reason...
I'll tell you soon the result of my investigation.

Jib
04-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Just one precision : I tried verbose mode, but it doesn't show KP while running OS X GUI (it shows KP only in console mode at boot).

About debug=0x144, it doesn't seem to work on hackintosh, but debug=0x100 is reported to work for KP display, according to insanelymac.

I'll keep you informed.

Jib
04-18-2009, 05:44 PM
Ok, so the "debug 0x100" worked, and I got the details about my kernel panics. It's related to the graphic card and/or the PCI bus, but no way to find which one cause the KP.

You'll find the screen shot attached to my message. I'm using Latests MBP drivers for my Geforce 9600 GT graphic card, and on my old AMD platform, I Never got such a kernel panic.

Would someone helped to solve this problem ?
(I did not find too much information about KP with 9600 GT cards)

naquaada
04-18-2009, 06:03 PM
The problem is the GeForce.kext and NVResman.kext. You can read it beneath 'Kernel loadable modules'. Maybe try an older version of the gfx drivers.

Jib
04-18-2009, 06:56 PM
Ok thanks, there's not a lot of solutions for 9600GT, but I'll try to play a bit with my GFX setup. It can't be related to PCI bus (managed by the ICH10 chipset) ?