PDA

View Full Version : I installed Chameleon and linux doesn't show up?

oneshot
04-14-2009, 09:42 AM
So I have 2 hardrives. One has OSx86 on it (IDE) and the other has Windows 7 and Ubuntu on it (SATA).

When I installed Chameleon I didn't have Ubuntu installed. I just partitioned my SATA drive so I could put it on there.

Well in Chameleon the little icon for Linux doesn't show up. The one for OSX and Windows do though.

It would be a lot more helpful to me if linux showed up so I wouldn't have to press F11 every time I want to boot into linux.

Anyone know the solution?

Do I just have to reinstall Chameleon or something?

Aydinz
04-14-2009, 09:55 AM
yeah, you have to reinstall it.

btw which version of chameleon you using?

oneshot
04-14-2009, 10:19 AM
I am using Chameleon 2.0RC1

Why do ya ask?

Btw thank you for the quick reply to my question ^_^

I'll reboot now to see if it worked

EDIT: Reinstalling Chameleon didn't work. Linux still does not show up under the boot loader? Any other ideas?

Aydinz
04-15-2009, 12:16 AM
just wondering, because the new chameleon is one i havent had a lot of experience with, hmm thats weird, which partition did you reinstall chameleon onto?

because the new chameleon can show you your options over all hdd's whereas the old one couldnt, so i dont see why it wouldnt work. maybe search around here and insanelymac or even at the chameleon forums to see if anyone else has had the same issue.

oneshot
04-15-2009, 01:14 AM
I installed it on my SATA hard drive. That hard drive also has windows on it.

So my setup is

SATA (windows and linux)

IDE (OSx86)

I'll search around the chameleon forums =P

If anyone knows what I should do on these forums it would be great if you could share your knowledge ^_^

Dies
04-15-2009, 03:50 AM
You need to install grub to the partition itself for Chameleon to pick it up. ;-)

erick2red
04-15-2009, 01:35 PM
You need to install grub to the partition itself for Chameleon to pick it up. ;-)
so you're saying i need to install chameleon to the MBR and grub to the install linux partition??

Taisto
04-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Yepp, i guess thats exactly what he meant ( and it works that way ;) )

erick2red
04-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Yepp, i guess thats exactly what he meant ( and it works that way ;) )
i'm waiting to know how to instalkl from command line to install new chameleon.
i don't wanna mess my bootloader, and then don't know how to reinstall from a command line (cause i only had kaliway installer, which bring me only terminal app).

But tested that on chameleon 1.12 and works.

handz
04-15-2009, 11:00 PM
1. Boot from a Live CD, like Ubuntu Live, Knoppix, Mepis, or similar.

2. Open a Terminal. Go SuperUser (that is, type "su"). Enter root passwords as necessary.

3. Type "grub" which makes a GRUB prompt appear.

4. Type "find /boot/grub/stage1". You'll get a response like "(hd0)" or in my case "(hd0,3)". Use whatever your computer spits out for the following lines.

5. Type "root (hd0,3)".

6. Type "setup (hd0,3)". This is key. Other instructions say to use "(hd0)", and that's fine if you want to write GRUB to the MBR. If you want to write it to your linux root partition, then you want the number after the comma, such as "(hd0,3)".

7. Type "quit".

8. Restart the system. Remove the bootable CD.

oneshot
04-16-2009, 04:30 AM
umm what is grub?

And as for the command lines to install it that handz posted. Do I have to be in the live CD or can I do this on my already installed linux partition. Also if I can only do this from the live CD am I going to have to reinstall it?

Another thing is. Can you install grub or whatever your saying to install to have chameleon detect linux without having to go through the command lines?

handz
04-16-2009, 06:14 AM
Just follow the instructions exactly and you will be up and running.

oneshot
04-16-2009, 07:18 AM
when I type in "su" it asks me for a password. I searched google and it says that there is no password for the live CD.

anyways I skiped the step and this is what I got
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o9/joe_vinci/Screenshot-ubuntuubuntu.png

Dies
04-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Ubuntu uses sudo just like OS X...

sudo su -

handz
04-16-2009, 10:34 PM
Ya, just type "sudo grub", exclude the "su" altogether

oneshot
04-16-2009, 10:35 PM
thank you =) so I was able to get to my root and I typed grub and did the commands and this is what I keep getting...

http://i41.tinypic.com/1zbdlki.png

I also tried assuming that my HD was hd0

Dies
04-17-2009, 12:26 AM
sudo and su mean nothing inside the grub shell...

You have to follow handz instructions exactly if you want them to work. ;)

Better yet let's try a different approach, boot into your linux installation, not a live cd, and open a terminal then become root with

sudo su -

Now find out what your root partition is identified as

mount

this should give you some output like

/dev/sda6 on / type ext3 (rw)
/proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)

Now install grub into the part with

/usr/sbin/grub-install /dev/sda6

make sure to replace /dev/sda6 with whatever you got for your / partition.

oneshot
04-17-2009, 12:54 AM
Thank you for the quick responce. I tried that and this is what I got...

http://i39.tinypic.com/21mvi95.png

cmdshft
04-17-2009, 01:02 AM
Just boot your running install of Ubuntu and use:

sudo grub-install /dev/sdX

Where X is the drive number. Simple. After that, Chameleon will see Ubuntu.

Now, if you wanna make sure, you can dump the Ubuntu boot sector and run hexdump on it to check the signature.

To do so, boot OS X and launch terminal.

diskutil list

http://www.hara.ipwn.me/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/picture-1.png

Find the partition that says "Linux" in the list, and note it's /dev/ location. For me, it was /dev/disk0s1.

So now, to dump the bootsector of my Ubuntu drive, I did the following:

sudo dd if=/dev/disk0s1 of=./bs bs=512 count=1

You will get a bunch of info, ignore that.

Then:

hexdump ./bs

You will now see a bunch of hex data. If it's:

00001f0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Then the bootloader is not installed properly and you must go attempt it again.

If it is:

00001f0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 55 aa

Then it's installed correctly and Chameleon will see it. It checks for the last two bytes for 55 aa. This tells Chameleon the bootsector is valid.

Dies
04-17-2009, 01:13 AM
a.) Not sure why you're trying to install grub to /dev/sda1 when the part mounted at root is

/host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk

b.) Not sure why you didn't mention this whole time that you were talking about a Wubi install and not a normal install...

c.) Now that I see you are working with a Wubi install and not a regular install into an actual partition on an actual hard drive. I can tell you that what you are trying to do will never work. Since your "install" is just a regular file within another partition, Chameleon will not bother with it.

oneshot
04-17-2009, 01:31 AM
Ah so it won't be possable to install?

When using Hari Taiki's method I got this btw.

http://i39.tinypic.com/3007eky.png

Dies
04-17-2009, 01:42 AM
Ah so it won't be possable to install?

Not with a Wubi install, use a normal install.

When using Hari Taiki's method I got this btw.

Of course, because there is essentially no difference between what he told you to do and what I told you to do... ;)

He just skipped the part where I showed you how to figure out what your / partition actually is.

cmdshft
04-17-2009, 02:01 AM
Exactly.

Also, I will also affirm that a Wubi install will not work. "sudo grub-install /dev/sda1" is reporting the error that stage1 cannot be read because it's looking for the stage1 booter in the bootsector of the partition. Since it's not a real partition and only a file, there's no bootsector on that file. Therefor, it cannot read the file. It will only complete the install when it finds a valid stage1 booter in the bootsector, so do a regular full install.

oneshot
04-17-2009, 06:19 AM
Ohh so I can't partition the drive that I'm wanting to run windows 7 and linux on with chameleon recognizing linux?

Quick question. What is Wubi install? Is that when you install 2 operating systems on one HD?