PDA

View Full Version : "Librar" Folder wont go away

Aydinz
04-15-2009, 08:26 AM
For some reason in my home directory along with my actually "Library" Folder another folder called "Librar" keeps being created and when i delete it, it just comes back next time i log in. does anyone know what the issue is and how i can stop it?

http://i43.tinypic.com/vy5ksz.png

Cheers

Taisto
04-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Hmm, probably some of your app is recreating it ? Not sure, but maybe dtrace will help locating what creates the folder ?

naquaada
04-15-2009, 10:26 AM
If you can't solve the problem and the folder is still annoying you, you can make the folder invisible, f.e. with Path Finder. But best create an Alias first and put it somewhere, so you still have access to the folder. I also have two apps that create own folders in my home folder, I don't like this too. ProTools creates a folder in the root directory of every volume, this is really annoying! But the invisible-trick works here too, also for the Time Machine backup folder.

Aydinz
04-15-2009, 10:30 AM
@Taisto: could you explain this DTrace thing a bit more for me please. because i searched it but i got a whole lot of java script stuff, i was just wondering if there was a simple app i install which is easy to use?

Cheers

@naquaada: i never thought of that :) i will deffinently try that if this DTrance thing doesnt work out for me :) and just getting back to your TimeMachine thing, are you saying i can hide the db files and it will still create backups?

Taisto
04-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Well, i meant that you can watch files activities with dtrace. There`s a script which lets you monitor openings of specified file, and as folder is a file too, it might work - but, i`ve noticed it just now - it recreates itself on the reboot right ? If so, it wont help i guess because dtrace can provide you with info only while it`s running so i think it wont work.

If you want to check, type "opensnoop -f [path to the folder]" and leave it running, you shall see a diagram showing any app which is opening the file you specified. But still, i dont think it will work so the thing suggested by Naquuada will do better :)

Aydinz
04-15-2009, 12:37 PM
i ran this command and opened the application i suspected was doing it and BAM i got a hit :) it said:

dtrace: error on enabled probe ID 4 (ID 17658: syscall::open:return): invalid user access in predicate at DIF offset 168
dtrace: error on enabled probe ID 4 (ID 17658: syscall::open:return): invalid user access in predicate at DIF offset 168
dtrace: error on enabled probe ID 5 (ID 18444: syscall::open_nocancel:return): invalid user access in predicate at DIF offset 168

there are many messages like this however because of length limitations in the post i can show it all, however if you want the whole message i can save it as a .txt and attach it :)

it was a flash application, a game called N Game, just wondering now how i would go about making sure it stops doing it :D

Taisto
04-15-2009, 12:59 PM
So Dtrace helped after all :) Hmm, but now i have no idea how to stop the app from recreating it, hmm, i guess getting rid of it is no option right ? :P I think i would just hide the folder

naquaada
04-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Have you checked in your startup objects if it installed something? Check in Activity Monitor if there's still an unknown task working. I have Activity Monitor always running, showing the CPU history in the Dock. The Activity Monitor is a very useful tool.

I don't know much about Time Machine, isn't it creating only a main backup folder in the drive you're using? I know the Time machine thing from another Mac forum who also wanted to hide this folder, and making it with invisible worked for him.

I'm invisibling (new word creation! :D) files with Path Finder, it is a very powerful tool and a full Finder replacement. Of course it shows invisible files and is able to handle package contents (in apps, kexts, plugins etc) like normal folders. You also can correct file permissions very easily. The actual version is on the Demon. But because it's very powerful it's rather complicated to configure. If you want, you can have my settings.