PDA

View Full Version : safe to update to 10.5.6 from iATKOS 5i (10.5.5)?

cloudster09
04-22-2009, 07:24 AM
I have successfully installed 10.5.5 using iATKOS 5i on my eMachine t5048. I have ran software update on everything except for 10.5.6 updater. Will it be safe to do so?

I selected Chameleon bootloader, APIC, and 9.2.0 for my kernel.

sshafer
04-30-2009, 12:04 PM
from my experience no, im having a problem running software update on iatkos 5i everytime i do it kernel panics after the restart...

andyvand
05-04-2009, 09:02 PM
I have successfully installed 10.5.5 using iATKOS 5i on my eMachine t5048. I have ran software update on everything except for 10.5.6 updater. Will it be safe to do so?

I selected Chameleon bootloader, APIC, and 9.2.0 for my kernel.
Standard stock Apple SW update won't work with ToH 9.2.0 kernel...
The main problem is the mach_kernel being replaced and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (causes in most cases KP on load)
Try installing Voodoo kernel or mine and next (after reboot) it shouldn't be a problem anymore to update as long as you keep a copy of the kernel as e.g. mach_kernel.voodoo or mach_kernel.anv and after update before reboot copy that kernel back to mach_kernel

SaCleoCheater
05-04-2009, 10:02 PM
I would recommend Andy's kernel. Never had any problems using the Combo update in Apple Software update with his kernel :)

you could also run the following in Terminal while running the Combo update:

while sleep 1; do rm -Rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

Bobwama
05-07-2009, 02:18 AM
I'm not sure about this, but you should be able to safely update with the Delta update- though not the combo. You'd have to download w/o software update, from the Apple Website. Again, I know this is true for Kalyway, but I'm not sure about iAtkos.

andyvand
05-07-2009, 02:48 AM
I'm not sure about this, but you should be able to safely update with the Delta update- though not the combo. You'd have to download w/o software update, from the Apple Website. Again, I know this is true for Kalyway, but I'm not sure about iAtkos.
Delta update also contains AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext...
Without a disabler or a kernel capable of doing the blocking it will cause a KP and leave the system in a useless state...

sam_pon
05-07-2009, 06:17 PM
So , it`s not save to upgrade

please , can any one give me step by step how to replace the kernel after upgrade

thanks alot

andyvand
05-07-2009, 06:39 PM
So , it`s not save to upgrade

please , can any one give me step by step how to replace the kernel after upgrade

thanks alot
quite simple really...
before upgrade:
Open Terminal
Type the following-
sudo cp /mach_kernel /mach_kernel_bak

do the upgrade... don't reboot...
next in terminal type:
sudo cp /mach_kernel_bak /mach_kernel

reboot...

thorazine74
05-08-2009, 09:36 AM
I have updated iatkos 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 without any troubles, on my setup it had the disabler installed by default, though I was running the vanilla kernel.
If you are using a custom kext for the storage controller where your leopard partition is make sure its not overwritten by the update (keep a working copy or put it in /Extra/Extensions.
Also instead of keeping the old 9.2.0 you can try installing Voodoo kernel 9.5.0, just do it before rebooting after applying the update.