PDA

View Full Version : "Waiting for Boot Device with UUID..." Help me Please!

Perception
04-24-2009, 08:19 PM
OK guys, heres the scenario. I built a media computer for my home, and wasn't exactly planning to install OSX86 on it, my first mistake, i know, since I didnt plan the hardware accordingly.

My first motherboard gave me a "still waiting for root device" constantly, so I sold it and swapped it out for this new mobo... the Biostar TA790GX XE...its a mATX board, and I purchased it because the main OSX86 wiki claimed that a board in the same series worked "with no patching" etc etc....last time I listen to the damn wiki.

This board has the 790GX and SB750 chipsets.

Also for compatibility reasons, I bought a nVidia 9400GT instead of using the onboard graphics, because I had been getting this "Waiting for boot volume with UUID...." error (as listed in my title) and much reading online suggested that the video card may very well be the problem.

Here I am, at least 3 weeks later and I'm seriously about to jump off a bridge...this thing is driving me nuts! No matter what I do, I can't get past this "UUID" error.:mad:

I promise you, I've read EXTENSIVELY on what I can do...switched from AHCI to Native IDE and back 100 times, swapped Master/Slave settings for the HDD and Optical over and over, bought a new video card, entered all the boot flags, tried safe mode, tried to specify the root disk!

I'm just out of ideas, and i'm not very keen on running Windows anymore...I've had a taste of OSX with my other hackintosh, and I just don't really want to go back. Yes, I have done this before on another machine, which I also had to painstakingly troubleshoot, but everything was working in the end.

On this new machine, I can't even get the install disk to run so I CAN troubleshoot any issues that arise.

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated, I'll try any suggestion you have, I just want to get this thing crackin'.

Peace,

P

TheHAWKs
04-24-2009, 08:46 PM
im not sure what distro "ideneb, IPC, XxX" your using but you must make sure it has drivers for your North and South Bridge. you probably did not pick the right Drivers if the DVD boots but fails to boot after install.

Perception
04-25-2009, 10:49 AM
HAWKs,

thanks for the reply, your input is appreciated. I have tried iDeneb, XxX, and iPC all with no luck, but it's not that the osx installs and then I cant boot, the problem is the osx disk wont even install...it just stops on this "still waiting for boot device with UUID.."

Any ideas about this? Is there a way to incorporate the drivers for my north & south bridge into a distro and then re-burn it?

P

Perception
04-25-2009, 10:54 AM
Not only that, but if that's the only solution, does anybody know where to find drivers for the 790GX and SB750??

Aydinz
04-25-2009, 12:34 PM
hmm, sounds weird. getting a still waiting for root device error, have you made sure that the hdd with mac os x has chameleon bootloader on it and it is set as the active partition?

Perception
04-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Ok everyone hold on a second....I don't think I'm getting my problem across correctly...

the error i'm getting is "Waiting for boot volume with UUID...." not "still waiting for root device"

Also, I can't get chameleon set up on the disk, because the install DVD won't even load so I can install OSX...I never even get to the point where I reboot into OSX for the first time, because all 3 distro's I've tried using (iPC, XxX, iDeneb) have failed to install OSX because they get stuck at that error, listed above.

Voyn1x
04-25-2009, 07:59 PM
Hmm, it sounds like you've tried most things.

You could always try bypassing the dvd completely by burning the image to a usb flash drive:

http://www.infinitemac.com/f5/how-can-i-burn-the-mac-os-x-t1448/

Good luck, remember it's all worth it in the end!! :)

zuz242
04-26-2009, 01:38 PM
Hmm, it sounds like you've tried most things.

You could always try bypassing the dvd completely by burning the image to a usb flash drive:

http://www.infinitemac.com/f5/how-can-i-burn-the-mac-os-x-t1448/

Good luck, remember it's all worth it in the end!! :)

yup, if dvd won´t load, it is missing the chipset drivers. putting the install dvd on a bootable usb stick avoids that. -> http://osx86.wikidot.com/en:how-to-s#toc12
but an already running osx system is needed for that.

otherwise you could try to inject your drivers in a distro dvd, which is somewhat difficult (havn´t tried it myself ..)

or you could try other distros, if they incorporate you chipset driver. (maybe the lawless one?)

Perception
04-27-2009, 03:57 AM
Thank you everyone for the replies, hopefully I can get a solution worked out of this whole thing.

So let me get this straight, I can use the USB thumb-drive method and bypass these problems as long as I already have an OSX environment?

Even I think this is a stupid question, but do I have to have a previous OSX install on the computer I'm trying to install on, or can I use my other haxintosh, or someone elses mac, etc etc?

Thanks again to you all...:D

Voyn1x
04-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Any OSX install, you only need access to disk utility.

Perception
04-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Ok, I discovered that the installer app on iPC 10.5.6, can run in OSX and install the new OSX setup to an external drive. So I used iPC, and installed OSX to my external HDD so I could just take it upstairs, plug it into my media computer and set it as the boot drive. I was able to get thru install, apply all the fixes, select the voodoo kernel etc etc.

All this worked fine, until I tried to reboot the system, I started with -x -v and -f just to be safe, and STILL I get stuck on this f*#king "waiting for boot volume with UUID...."

Could this be a BIOS thing? Should I just give it up for now and wait for a future release? This project is taking years off my life lol...im so pissed off.

peace,

P

andyvand
04-27-2009, 07:32 PM
OK guys, heres the scenario. I built a media computer for my home, and wasn't exactly planning to install OSX86 on it, my first mistake, i know, since I didnt plan the hardware accordingly.

My first motherboard gave me a "still waiting for root device" constantly, so I sold it and swapped it out for this new mobo... the Biostar TA790GX XE...its a mATX board, and I purchased it because the main OSX86 wiki claimed that a board in the same series worked "with no patching" etc etc....last time I listen to the damn wiki.

This board has the 790GX and SB750 chipsets.

Also for compatibility reasons, I bought a nVidia 9400GT instead of using the onboard graphics, because I had been getting this "Waiting for boot volume with UUID...." error (as listed in my title) and much reading online suggested that the video card may very well be the problem.

Here I am, at least 3 weeks later and I'm seriously about to jump off a bridge...this thing is driving me nuts! No matter what I do, I can't get past this "UUID" error.:mad:

I promise you, I've read EXTENSIVELY on what I can do...switched from AHCI to Native IDE and back 100 times, swapped Master/Slave settings for the HDD and Optical over and over, bought a new video card, entered all the boot flags, tried safe mode, tried to specify the root disk!

I'm just out of ideas, and i'm not very keen on running Windows anymore...I've had a taste of OSX with my other hackintosh, and I just don't really want to go back. Yes, I have done this before on another machine, which I also had to painstakingly troubleshoot, but everything was working in the end.

On this new machine, I can't even get the install disk to run so I CAN troubleshoot any issues that arise.

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated, I'll try any suggestion you have, I just want to get this thing crackin'.

Peace,

P
If it is like SB450 (S)ATA I can make a driver for this...
Does your SATA drive support being used in IDE mode?
If so I need more info on the controller (from either Windows msinfo32 or .ioreg file from IORegistryExplorer...).

Perception
04-28-2009, 01:31 AM
If it is like SB450 (S)ATA I can make a driver for this...
Does your SATA drive support being used in IDE mode?
If so I need more info on the controller (from either Windows msinfo32 or .ioreg file from IORegistryExplorer...).

I'd love to give this a try, but do you think it will help being that its still failing even on a USB drive? And no, switching back and forth from ACHI to Native IDE doesn't help me one bit..it still gets stuck on the same line every time like clockwork.

Using the install I put on the USB drive should bypass the whole SATA problem all together shouldn't it? Yet it still fails...i don't get it, unless the problem isn't SATA related at all, but if it's not, then I just don't know what it could be.

P

Perception
05-01-2009, 05:59 AM
bump bump bump

andyvand
05-04-2009, 09:00 PM
I'd love to give this a try, but do you think it will help being that its still failing even on a USB drive? And no, switching back and forth from ACHI to Native IDE doesn't help me one bit..it still gets stuck on the same line every time like clockwork.

Using the install I put on the USB drive should bypass the whole SATA problem all together shouldn't it? Yet it still fails...i don't get it, unless the problem isn't SATA related at all, but if it's not, then I just don't know what it could be.

P
Man... not even USB...
I would try updating BIOS for motherboard to the latest version...
If that doesn't help, I don't know how to fix it...

Perception
05-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Andyvand...and all the rest,

thanks so much for the continued input. Unfortunately, I have the latest BIOS for the mobo, but I suppose I could just wait until a new one comes out and see if it fixes my issues.

Otherwise, anyone who reads this post and has ideas, please keep them comming!! TinyXP is a pretty decent OS I have to admit...but its no OSX :rolleyes:

thanks again to all,

P

macsang
07-13-2009, 02:16 AM
I was facing the same issue with several distros. Read that integrated graphics card does not work well with OSx, so I added a PCI Express card and was able to bypass this exception.

Perception
07-13-2009, 08:58 PM
macsang,

thanks for your post, im glad to see that this old thread still got some attention somehow.

I did put in a pcie vid card, and made sure it was selected as the default card in the bios, but this problem is still an issue. Was there anything else you had to do to make the system work?

P

thorazine74
07-14-2009, 08:14 AM
Using a SATA disk in AHCI mode should be supported without troubles, unless the distros you are installing are badly broken.
If you are using a IDE disk that would be a different story, I think there is no driver for ATI SBxxx IDE controller other than modded AppleViaATA kexts and the like... some distros would have a generic driver but maybe its not working for latest SB750,

Perception
07-14-2009, 10:33 PM
thorazine,

yeah i really wish i had more to tell on the subject, but i've tried ACHI and I only use SATA disks. After I gave up on it, my plan is now to wait until some new distros come out that support all my hardware.

thanks again to everyone,

P

fobi
07-26-2010, 05:24 PM
I have made a BIOS Downgrade and ok all. I use one of the last year. All works !!