PDA

View Full Version : Nforce Lan Freeze Issue

Chagani
02-13-2008, 02:39 AM
Did Zeph or any of the beta testers figure out why nforce lan crashes with 2 cpus? If so, what was the problem?

Chagani
02-13-2008, 09:25 PM
nobody?

Ianxxx
02-14-2008, 05:14 AM
Chagani:Did Zeph or any of the beta testers figure out why nforce lan crashes with 2 cpus? If so, what was the problem?
I don't know but I just installed 10.5.2 including new kernel and same issue so I hope Zeph has had better luck than me

megaargon1
02-14-2008, 08:46 AM
From what I know, the AMD Leopard was not friendly with my Nforce onboard Lan. I decided to unplug and connect my connection to a dedicated Ethernet card, and that resolved the problem. You may want to checkout the WikiDot to see if there a solution (I think there is). Nforce drivers are there as well, I hope they are compatible with yours. Post your specs.

damnesiac
02-14-2008, 08:04 PM
Zeph is running EFI on his install and supposedly that has fixed the problem unless uploading and downloading a lot at the same time. I might have misread something so don't quote me but that's from my understanding.

Puttabong
02-14-2008, 08:23 PM
damnesiac, I personally experienced this on my nForce 4 Board,

Rev. 1 - Working - I had to use one of the workarounds,
disabling nForce LAN, and enabling the second LAN port (Marvell), it worked fine

-> NO Lan Freezes

Rev. 2 - Working Out of the Box without having to be patched,

-> NO Lan Freezes.

However, I am using an AirPort Extreme now, hence Wi-Fi goodness. :)

Chagani
02-14-2008, 08:36 PM
I currently use the cpus=1 fix. However, I was just wondering what ktexts/code/settings/etc were different between Rev 1 and Rev 2 (lan-wise) so that we can zero in on what the problem is.

Puttabong could you send me your forcedeth and ionetworkingfamily ktext (from Rev 2) and any other ktext you think might be related so I can test?

Puttabong
02-14-2008, 08:43 PM
I think damnesiac is right about EFI.

I have no Idea what the exact Error is, but it's certainly related to forcedeth, as Marvell's skge.kext (for my Marvell Yukon LAN Port!) and Wi-Fi always worked flawlessly for me on Rev.1.

Lan Freezes only occured whilst using nForce LAN and forcedeth.

The problem might be solved by manually installing EFI on Rev.1, I don't know whether the kexts of mine will be compatible with yours, I doubt it actually. You can try if you want to...

Chagani
02-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Thanx Puttabong... Will try skge and EFI...

Puttabong
02-14-2008, 08:52 PM
Skge.kext is a driver for my second LAN Port by Marvell Yukon ;)

I don't think that you also have the same LAN Port, or do you?

If you don't have two LAN Ports, only cpus=1 or using Wi-Fi works.

Yes, try installing EFI, and wait for Rev.2 at the same time!

Chagani
02-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Oh rite... Silly me... I assumed that the skge.ktext would work with my nforce lan... you can see I am losing my sensibilities with this...:) I have an MSI Platinum (1 LAN port).

Can I install EFI over an existing Leo install? Or are we looking at a fresh install?

Eagerly awaiting 10.5.1 Rev 2 or 10.5.2 Rev one (or whatever Zephyroth decides to call it) :)

roisoft
02-14-2008, 09:20 PM
You can install efi, no problems!!!

boboblack
02-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Puttabong:Skge.kext is a driver for my second LAN Port by Marvell Yukon ;)

I don't think that you also have the same LAN Port, or do you?

If you don't have two LAN Ports, only cpus=1 or using Wi-Fi works.

Yes, try installing EFI, and wait for Rev.2 at the same time!

Hi Puttabong,
I have tried the skge.kext for my marvell yukon card, on Asus a8n sli premium with no luck. It was registered and loaded in the extentions from system profiler, however, no new network interface available in the network section.
However. it works ok in my 10.4.8 tiger.. not in my leopard..
Any idea?
tx

roisoft
02-14-2008, 10:31 PM
try with your tiger kext or with this FILES (http://rapidshare.com/files/91429563/FIles.zip)

boboblack
02-14-2008, 10:40 PM
I've tried with my tiger kext, no luck, same result. Now trying with your uploaded files..
thanks.. roisoft.

boboblack
02-14-2008, 11:02 PM
nope.. still not working... strange..
Actualy my ionetworkingfamily.kext file version is 1.6.0 about 6mb size, newer than the files.

Is there anything to do with parallels installed in leopard? as it also generate virtual connection in the network

Chagani
02-14-2008, 11:08 PM
I am about to install EFI, however, I wanted to know a few things:

1. I have patched the updates with Marvin's utility will EFI be a problem.
2. I am using NVInject for my GFX card again will EFI be a prob.

damnesiac
02-14-2008, 11:32 PM
Chagani:I am about to install EFI, however, I wanted to know a few things:

1. I have patched the updates with Marvin's utility will EFI be a problem.
2. I am using NVInject for my GFX card again will EFI be a prob.

1. Shouldn't be, just make sure you replace AppleSMBIOS.kext
2. I'm using the latest NVInject with EFI v8 without any problems.

iero
02-15-2008, 12:50 AM
On 10.5.1, I installed EFI, and it's still freezing :(

On both ports.. :(

iero
02-15-2008, 01:22 AM
It's not a good idea to replace the forcedeth by the one in the wiki : http://osx86.wikidot.com/utilities-resources ?

iero.

roisoft
02-15-2008, 02:02 AM
Try with _____http://www.mediafire.com/?bxzdoiyuzfy

Chagani
02-15-2008, 03:24 AM
I Installed EFI and used this version (<a href="http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=12933&view=findpost&p=545225">http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=12933&view=findpost&p=545225</a>) of forcedeth (forcedeth.kext not forcedeth-nock.kext) and it works like a charm! :)

iero
02-15-2008, 03:47 PM
roisoft:Try with ..

It works perfectly.

Thanx a lot dude ! My box is now completly up and running :)

Great.

ps : I will try in another new computer.. More powerfull..

roisoft
02-15-2008, 04:15 PM
nice :)

Chagani
02-16-2008, 12:56 AM
Ok new problem... Ever since I installed the new kext, my VPN connection refuses to connect... Its stuck on connecting... until it times out... I enabled "verbose logging" and I get the following error message in ppp.log "PPTP didn't get outgoing_call_reply (got message : 768)" anyone know what this means? I have disabled the firewall so I know it can't be the ports...

Funny thing is it was working with the default kext which came with Rev 1 install (albeit I had to use it with cpus=1).

Can someone send me the original forcedeth-d.kext that comes with Rev. 1 install. I have deleted my backups. I want to try that out (with cpus=1) and see if I can get it working again...

Thanx

PS: The only thing I have changed is installed EFI and the new forcedeth kext.

damnesiac
02-16-2008, 01:15 AM
Chagani here is the orginial forcedeth-d kext from the Zeph 10.5.1 DVD. Enjoy.

boboblack
02-17-2008, 12:40 AM
Problem solved..
Using nforce lan with EFIv8, does not make my hacintosh (ups.. now as a mac) to freeze again after enabling cpus=2 and downloading files...
Cool...
So no need to have skge.kext which was very difficult to enabled on my leo..

Chagani
02-17-2008, 02:13 AM
Thanx damnesiac! :D Will try now...

Chagani
02-17-2008, 02:24 AM
Yep... It was the newer kext... The one from damnesiac worked!! I have VPN again... Yay! Ok, now back to fixing the freezing issue... Since I have EFI installed now will see if that will fix the issue when I enable both cores...

If this works I will feel silly... I should have tried this at the beginning! :)

Chagani
02-17-2008, 02:50 AM
It didn't work without EFI and it doesn't work with EFI... Atleast I don't feel silly... :) Sigh... I guess I will wait for Zeph's latest version after my last effort... boboblack... Can you send me your forcedeth kext? I'd really like to try this...

seren
02-18-2008, 08:23 AM
Im running 10.5.2 Thanks to Zeph but i still have this issue. Im going to try some of the kext's found here.

Ianxxx
02-18-2008, 09:16 AM
Me too still same old problem :-(

Chagani
02-19-2008, 12:47 AM
I installed Zeph's 10.5.2 release and they worked fine! However, as reported earlier it refuses to connect to a PPTP VPN. So I bit the bullet and bought a cheapy RTL 8139. I guess that ends my quest to make the Nforce Lan drivers work...

Good luck to you guys!

Ianxxx
02-19-2008, 01:14 AM
Ianxxx:Me too still same old problem :-(
Update
re-installed again. Had the occasional glitch as Zeph said downloading and uploading at the same time
set IRQTimer to true in info.plist.
So far so good

boboblack
02-19-2008, 10:05 PM
@Chagani,
I am using this files from roisoft.
roisoft:Try with ___http://www.mediafire.com/?bxzdoiyuzfy

Ianxxx
02-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Anyone still having this problem give this a try.
I have slowed down my memory timings namely Row Cycle time 14 and Row Refresh cycle time 18.
This is not an overclocking issue as, Prime 95, memory test 86 and other OSs all run fine.
Having done this I have been connected to the internet for last twenty four hours. No probs so far and still going.
I'm wondering if this could be an issue that is causing more than this problem alone.
I know that memory timings on AMD chips need to have slacker latency than Intel and wonder if this is where the problem lies. Might explain some of those other random crashes and install failures that people can't work out.

Would like to know if this has successful results for anyone.

Mobo = abit AN8 Ultra
Ram 2x 1 gig running duel channel 128bit mode.

seren
02-20-2008, 10:31 PM
Ianxxx:Anyone still having this problem give this a try.
I have slowed down my memory timings namely Row Cycle time 14 and Row Refresh cycle time 18.
This is not an overclocking issue as, Prime 95, memory test 86 and other OSs all run fine.
Having done this I have been connected to the internet for last twenty four hours. No probs so far and still going.
I'm wondering if this could be an issue that is causing more than this problem alone.
I know that memory timings on AMD chips need to have slacker latency than Intel and wonder if this is where the problem lies. Might explain some of those other random crashes and install failures that people can't work out.

Would like to know if this has successful results for anyone.

Mobo = abit AN8 Ultra
Ram 2x 1 gig running duel channel 128bit mode.

I tries all the tings about ou mentioned and edit info.plist but it still freezes when downloading and uploading ad 700 or so kb
but im uing the kext from forcedeth-d.kext.zip can you send the stock one you have? thanks

Seren

seren
02-21-2008, 06:22 AM
bump to see if zeph can get to this