PDA

View Full Version : Various decompiled original Apple DSDT's and ioregs

andyvand
04-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Get them from:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=152566

milanca
04-27-2009, 10:56 AM
This is very useful, thanks Andy. I personally used 'GIGE' option from MacPro for my intel box ethernet.

naquaada
04-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Great that you're here now Andy. We needed a good developer again.

Could you help me with a problem? I'm using on my main system Leo4All V3 (10.5.3) with modbin 9.3.0 kernel and on my test system I'm experimenting with the XxX 10.5.6 Final 2 image and your kernal. The system works very fine, but the temperature is in idle use about 6-7°C higher than in 10.5.3. I tried various things, no change. VoodooPower.kext crashes the system. Have you an idea what could help? Both systems are on the same machine, AMD Opteron 185 Dual-Core overclocked to 2x2.81 GHz.

BTW, why are AppleHWSensor.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext blacklisted in the new kernels?

andyvand
04-27-2009, 05:03 PM
Great that you're here now Andy. We needed a good developer again.

Could you help me with a problem? I'm using on my main system Leo4All V3 (10.5.3) with modbin 9.3.0 kernel and on my test system I'm experimenting with the XxX 10.5.6 Final 2 image and your kernal. The system works very fine, but the temperature is in idle use about 6-7°C higher than in 10.5.3. I tried various things, no change. VoodooPower.kext crashes the system. Have you an idea what could help? Both systems are on the same machine, AMD Opteron 185 Dual-Core overclocked to 2x2.81 GHz.

BTW, why are AppleHWSensor.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext blacklisted in the new kernels?
The new kernels have blacklisting options (which can be disabled) to prevent certain systems from crashing on some kexts...
AMD is never compatible with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext...
Blacklisting can be disabled though...
To know how to do this read my kernel options at:
http://laptopneeds.forumotion.co.uk/anv-releases-f10/anv-xnu-kernel-v14-t10.htm
You could try the newer VoodooPower made by hnak and improved by me...
Get it from:
http://laptopneeds.forumotion.co.uk/other-drivers-f8/voodoopower-v123-hnak-anv-version-t16.htm
NOTE: it is the black download link at the bottom of the text...
Also: Which version of my kernel? my latest? (V1.4) if it is any older version I really recommend updating to solve some issues with previous versions...
Let me know if this helps you out...

naquaada
04-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Hm, this wasn't really a success... Here's a description what I did. I could check the CPU teperature only in the BIOS after a reboot .

0 - 28°C/82°F was the cpu temperature while first switching on
1 - 34°C/93°F after 5 minutes normal working with 10.5.3
2 - 40°C/104°F after 5 minutes normal working with 10.5.6
3 - cooldown to 35°C/95°F after 5 minutes 10.5.3 idle
4 - 43°C/109°F after the 9.6.0 kernel installation - 4 minutes with heavy cpu load
5 - 42°C/107°F after 5 minutes 10.5.6 idle
6 - 44°C/111°F after VoodooPower installation - again 4 minutes heavy cpu load
7 - back to 42°C/107°F after 5 minutes 10.5.6 idle
8 - cooldown to 37°C/98°F after 5 minutes 10.5.3 idle.

So 10.5.6 is in average 6°C/42°F hotter than 10.5.3. Why is this so? I had temperatures of 49°C/120°F with heavy loads in 10.5.6, and this will get more in summer. Ok, it's far below the cpu's critical temperature of about 65°C/149°F, but it would still be interesting why 10.5.6 gets hotter on the same hardware.

Andy: Are your installer packages reparing every time the full permissions? I had heavy loads of installdb, mds, diskutil and similar tools, partially 80-90%. That was the reason why the installations took about 4 minutes.

What is the difference of your patched PS/2 driver? Sometimes the normal one failed on 10.5.6 and after installing the Voodoo PS/2 driver the combinations F12 to eject the DVD drive and Crtl+F12 to get the shutdown menu aren't working anymore.

naquaada
04-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Maybe I should add that I'm using an Opteron and not an Athlon 64 cpu. The Athlons have Cool'n'Quiet, the Opterons OPM - Optimized Power Management. It's basically the same, but maybe it's a bit different. I presume the AMD Opteron is very rare the OSx86 community because it's a server and not a consmer cpu like the Athlon or the Phenom.

andyvand
04-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Maybe I should add that I'm using an Opteron and not an Athlon 64 cpu. The Athlons have Cool'n'Quiet, the Opterons OPM - Optimized Power Management. It's basically the same, but maybe it's a bit different. I presume the AMD Opteron is very rare the OSx86 community because it's a server and not a consmer cpu like the Athlon or the Phenom.
Hmm... good Q...
I know the new driver has optimized power management for Cool'n'quiet but not sure of the opterons mechanism or how it differs...
Still... some power management is better than none...
It could be 10.5.6 is just more demanding than 10.5.3
As for the questions of my PS/2 driver...
It has a nub built by me and it fixes the IOSyncer::create functions with CreateIOSyncer...
It has also all warnings fixed, optimized for Leopard, linked against latest libkmodc++ and libkmodc from my own kernel...
It however does not have all advanced features like VoodooPS2...
I also have an optimized version of VoodooPS2 (caused quite some controverse on the Voodoo projects forum but hey...).
If you'd like I can give you that one too...
Let me know...

andyvand
04-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Also there are many devices in the DSDT you can add...
like the SMS0 device, the MCEH device and the PNLF device...
It can also be used to fix you power adapter and enable AppleACPIPowerAdapter to be attached...
An example of this I'll post later... (my DSDT)

naquaada
04-27-2009, 10:46 PM
I just looked into the VoodooPower.pkg and saw that a 'Generic CPU Power Management Control' tool was installed. I started it on 10.5.6 and it only shows a green bar and that the Kernel Extension is offline. Screenshot is here (http://naquaada.na.funpic.de/naq/osx86/forum/infinitemac/naquaada/pix/cputemp.png).

andyvand
04-27-2009, 10:59 PM
OK... I need thus more info on that CPU...
So that it can be supported by VoodooPower...
When I reboot into OS X I will make a little tool for getting full CPUID data... (on Linux right now)
I'll see if I can get it working...

naquaada
04-29-2009, 12:41 AM
Here are some news. I now installed 10.5.6 on my A8N-E FM/S board which is equipped with an Athlon 64 4000+, not with an Opteron. After installing your new kernal and the VoodooPower package I started the Generic Power Management Tool, but it looked the same like on the Opteron system.

After this I looked in the System Profiler which Extensios were loeded. There was NullCPUPowerManagement.kext loaded. I deleted it for testing and rebooted. Result: Kernal Panic because of VoodooPower.kext. The same happend on my Opteron system, photos are in the attachment.

I now tried to add AppleACPIThermal.kext, first to the Plugins folder inside AppleACPIPlatform.kext, then directly in extensions, but it isn't loaded in any case. I also tried blacklist=0, after this AppleHWSensor.kext is loaded on my Athlon system. The Opteron system crashes, it does a direct reboot whitout a kernel panic.

EDIT: During boot and in the Console I get the message 'cannot resolve dependencies for kernel externsion /.../AppleThermal.kext'

Could you take a look why AppleACPIThermal.kext isn't loaded in 10.5.6 anymore? Some more people have problems with hot AMD cpus, maybe this is the key. I added my complete 10.5.3 AppleACPIPlatform.kext to download here (http://naquaada.na.funpic.de/naq/osx86/forum/infinitemac/naquaada/files/AppleACPIPlatform.zip). There are some more plugins inside it.

andyvand
04-30-2009, 12:05 AM
Here are some news. I now installed 10.5.6 on my A8N-E FM/S board which is equipped with an Athlon 64 4000+, not with an Opteron. After installing your new kernal and the VoodooPower package I started the Generic Power Management Tool, but it looked the same like on the Opteron system.

After this I looked in the System Profiler which Extensios were loeded. There was NullCPUPowerManagement.kext loaded. I deleted it for testing and rebooted. Result: Kernal Panic because of VoodooPower.kext. The same happend on my Opteron system, photos are in the attachment.

I now tried to add AppleACPIThermal.kext, first to the Plugins folder inside AppleACPIPlatform.kext, then directly in extensions, but it isn't loaded in any case. I also tried blacklist=0, after this AppleHWSensor.kext is loaded on my Athlon system. The Opteron system crashes, it does a direct reboot whitout a kernel panic.

EDIT: During boot and in the Console I get the message 'cannot resolve dependencies for kernel externsion /.../AppleThermal.kext'

Could you take a look why AppleACPIThermal.kext isn't loaded in 10.5.6 anymore? Some more people have problems with hot AMD cpus, maybe this is the key. I added my complete 10.5.3 AppleACPIPlatform.kext to download here (http://naquaada.na.funpic.de/naq/osx86/forum/infinitemac/naquaada/files/AppleACPIPlatform.zip). There are some more plugins inside it.
I know why AppleACPIThermal.kext doesn't load...
Look in the Info.plist... the dependencies on the bottom have incompatible versions set...
Look through the Info.plists of the other kexts (the dependencies) and fill in the same version as the compatible bundle version...
what you can try for enabling VoodooPower is to use boot argument -alt-get-frequency...
It directly gets the frequency without a multiply divide operation (which on some AMD's causes a crash).
If you look at the kernel panics on top you will see divide error...
Try it and let me know...