PDA

View Full Version : Boot 132 from existing install??

HappyQuadCore
05-02-2009, 03:13 AM
Got a Boot 132 question. I am working on my sisters' Compaq Laptop. It has a good install of 10.5.6. I used iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Universal Final. The only issue I have on the install is the wireless, which I can handle later, and the fact that Software Update wants to Install 8 files. In other words, perfectly good install on hd1. The hard drive has 2 partitions, hd1, hd2. hd2 was originally intended to be a bootable copy of the iPC DVD image, so I could fix hd1 when/if needed sometime in the future and not need the DVD. hd2 is 5 GB. I put the Chameleon EFI on hd2 thinking the only consequence would be that I would have 2 bootable partitions, but boot132 seems to have taken over. I get NO option to select hd1 or hd2. It just goes, and I get this message:

boot0: MBR
boot0: done

Since hd1 was booting fine prior to me putting EFI on hd2, I think it is safe to assume this message is coming from EFI on hd2.

I have no reason not to believe that things are fine on hd1, the iPC install since only hd2 was changed prior to my booting problem. It seems the EFI has taken over everything as far as booting goes.

My ultimate goal is to make the laptop fully boot 132 Retail compliant, but if I can just tweak hd2 to point over to hd1 which already has a working osx, why not? I have my 5 license family pack of 10.5.1, but I am not married to the idea of doing the full Retail experience. If this works, so much the better. I will do the full Retail load on my desktop soon enough. On the laptop, which will be out of my direct control, I would like a reliable updatable system that won't give my sister fits. If I get the concept of this correctly, I think I should only be a few files away from making this work.

To recap:

hd1: 10.5.6 via iPC, was booting fine until I EFI'd hd2, and probably would again if I erased hd2
hd2: EFI and 2 backups of Extensions from current hd1 load. One was done with osx86tools, and the other I just dragged over.

Am I right in thinking that the only thing needed on hd2 at this point are the required kexts and a modified plist that points to hd1 for a kernel?
Do the kexts go in the 200mb hidden partition I read about somewhere, or do they go on hd2, or a folder in hd2?

I did not list the hardware specs on this one as it does not seem to be pertinent. I think this is just an issue of a few what to do next items.

Any thoughts?

Valentine
05-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Hmm.. I am not really getting what you are pointing at.

Chammelion 2 is quite suitable on booting for all kinds of setups.
What are the partion schemes on your disks? GUID/MBR?

For more info on EFI partion boot please see:
http://www.infinitemac.com/f19/howto-efi-partition-booting-zero-modification-installs-on-t1609/

HappyQuadCore
05-02-2009, 09:03 PM
I was looking to help a guy loading from iATKOS 5i, which I had not looked at for a couple of weeks, but as I was looking, I FINALLY understood how to use it correctly. I repartitioned the hd, loaded PC EFI v9, and selected the correct options to go with it. After loading, I used Apple Updater. After update it booted but I got a blue screen. I was about to admit defeat when I remembered that I had set up Appletalk and screen sharing. Out of curiosity, I tried to take control of the laptop from my desktop, and it worked!! I took control of the laptop from my desktop, which had selected a screen resolution that my adapter did not seem to like, and fixed the display driver. (I use GMA950 even though my graphics identifies itself as GMA945, and yes, I did try to set the display resolution from the command line at boot time, but it did not persist. I got graphics initially, but it then got reset to a bad, un-displayable resolution) Once this was done, everything worked. (except wireless. gotta look into that) But, it would seem, aside from the video glitch, the laptop is loaded and updatable. Thats good enough for me.

So, even though I did not get the a neat and tidy answer delivered to my doorstep, all is good with the laptop, and I am sure the info I am looking for is out there. Just gotta dig. It just goes to show that if you look to help someone else, you somehow find a way to help yourself. LOL. Thanks for your reply, but everything is cool here for now. :D

Valentine
05-02-2009, 09:25 PM
No insult here, but it must be some high class weed your smoking.:D
Unfortunatly you can't send me some via email.;)

HappyQuadCore
05-03-2009, 02:31 AM
LOL No, no high class weed. First it makes me cough, and second it gives me a nasty headache. :( But I do have some Captain Morgan Spiced Rum. Guess I am due for a few good drinks! ^_^

Valentine
05-03-2009, 02:41 AM
Funny, Rum on the opposite gives me thoose symptoms.:)

Enjoy:)

p4mac
08-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Intel DG43NB this is my mobo now... how abt the installation?

p4mac
08-26-2009, 03:56 PM
Intel DG43NB, ICH10, Ethernet Intel 82567V, Audio Realtek ALC888VC, nVidia 8400gs, Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHz, 4GB transcend 800 Mhz, SATA Seagate 2TB, DVD LG.

Just enable Kernels in 10.5.5 and it will do all for you. use nVidia NV inject.kext for display i have done it and its working the only problem is when i change the resolution i need to restart the system manually i think its bcoz of unmatched driver for nvidia.

mamunjoy
12-24-2009, 09:43 AM
Hi,
just wondering how did u managed to get a full working installation in this MOBO? my obsession became saddest intuition, b4 i managed to install LeoToH 10.5 in this mobo, with factory default BIOS settings.

PHASE-1 (iPC OSx86)
after upgrade on latest v.099 iPC OSx86 10.5.6 stuck with "BSM auditing present..."
**with boot flug CPUS=1 it's stuck "waiting in UUID ...."

PHASE-2 (KALYWAY 10.5.2)
Not even BOOT in my machine

PHASE-3 (LeoToH 10.5)
even Leopard 10.5 (ToH) now stuck in same place "waiting in UUID..."(which at least installed b4 upgrade) tough it installs full in VMware @ same machine

N.B: Verdict, tried in another ASUS p5k-VM mobo, that same DVD disk gave me a full working installation. any help will be highly appreciated.
__________________________________________________ ______________________
CPU: Intel P DuelCore 2.66 GHz
MOBO: DG43NB
AGP: Built in X4500
Sound: Built in ALC888
Ethernet: Built in 82567-v
HDD: 320GB WD SATA / 20GB QuantumFireball (IDE)
DVD: Multi writer HP 1040d (IDE)

mamunjoy
12-25-2009, 12:47 PM
No response yet?

I guess my spec is pretty much out dated...
or it's just unsupported :(

either way, m stuck with "waiting on UUID..."