PDA

View Full Version : Storage driver used by iPC 10.5.6 DVD?

alienlogic
05-13-2009, 04:05 PM
Having an odd quirk with SATA support:

Hardware specifics- Supermicro C2SBA+II, G33 / ICH9R, SATA AHCI enabled in bios, RAID is NOT enabled.

When booting to the iPC 10.5.6 DVD, then running System Profiler, the ICH9R is properly recognized by name and as an AHCI controller, with all 6 ports (4 ports actually in use, port 0 is a Lite-On SATA DVD+RW drive).

But after installing, whether with 9.6.0 Vanilla or 9.5.0 Voodoo kernel, or with the "Intel ICHx" driver or the ICH10/9 driver (tried all four combinations), the ICH9R is recognized in System Profiler as "unknown" (with the ICHx driver) or "JMicron" (with the ICH10/9 driver). This problem is not merely cosmetic- the system won't even boot after an install unless I go into the bios and turn on AHCI Legacy mode, which disables ports 5 and 6.

So my question is, which storage driver is the iPC 10.5.6 DVD loading that successfully identifies the ICH9R? I have everything else working beautifully, so any help figuring this out would be great.

Thanks!

thorazine74
05-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Your report seems kinda confusing, you said it doesnt boot but you said its reported as Unknown or Jmicron?
Also I dont know how are your BIOS' settings but there is not Legacy AHCI mode, either its in AHCI mode or IDE mode, the latter can be either Native or Legacy. If you switch on legacy mode your most likely disabling AHCI and making the ICH work as IDE.
Try removing all of the ICH drivers you have installed, any AHCI controller should work with vanilla driver (AppleAHCIport.kext), even though without proper identification in System Profiler but functionatily should be the same.

alienlogic
05-20-2009, 06:05 PM
It won't boot unless put into what the Supermicro BIOS calls "Legacy AHCI" mode, which disable ports 5 and 6. This is regardless of using Vanilla or Voodoo kernel, standard Intel ICHx driver or ICH10 specific. With "Legacy AHCI" enabled in the BIOS, it does boot. Not so much concerned about what system profiler says as the fact I have to turn that mode on for it to boot, which turns off ports 5 & 6.

This is odd because it can be left "normal" or "full" AHCI in the BIOS, all 6 ports available, and when booting from the DVD there are no issues- all 6 ports show in system profiler. So that's why I was trying to figure out what storage kext the DVD is using to boot, since that one works.

But it's irrelevant now, as I've replaced the board with a Intel DP43TF. Needed to build a 2nd PC, so it was the perfect time to get something with OSX86 compliance in mind :D