PDA

View Full Version : Scheduling a Hack to Start Up

Voyn1x
05-13-2009, 07:58 PM
I found out this morning that I could get my hack to startup at a set time from full power off by setting the schedule within Energy Saver.

I'm sure I tried this before in the past and it didn't work. Maybe it's something to do with the Voodoo kernel i'm not sure, but suffice to say i'm a very happy man. :D

I'm interested to know how many people this works for?

erick2red
05-13-2009, 08:05 PM
i already know, and right now not tested, but previously with my old Kalyway 10.5.1, it did.

new Voodoo kernel What this means?

Voyn1x
05-13-2009, 08:13 PM
Post edited. I wasn't implying that there was a new release or anything, just the advent of a kernel rebuilt for pcs. I'm surprised it works, i thought it would require a real macs EFI.

Ali C.
05-13-2009, 08:38 PM
I didn't expect it to work either, but sure enough, at the correct time, surprise, surprise, it booted itself.
Perhaps something in the EFI emulation sets up the "turn on at set time" in the BIOS? That would be my guess.

naquaada
05-13-2009, 09:02 PM
Hehe, time schedule has another influence on my system: It resets the BIOS to default settings :D
System is installed on partition 2, XxX Final 2 10.5.6 using Adys 9.6.0 kernel. On 10.5.3 with 9.3.0 modbin kernel happens nothing. But I still have the 2 hr time difference problem and I don't know if the Engery Saving settings must be different, I'm always turning off all options in there.

BTW, what Engery Saver icon do you have? A normal light bulb or an energy saving light bulb?

Ali C.
05-13-2009, 09:06 PM
Oh now that (potentially) sucks. But it confirms this must fiddle with the BIOS in order to start itself up. But apparently the kernel has to be "special" (Voodoo or Vanilla) in order to modify the EFI/BIOS.

naquaada
05-13-2009, 09:18 PM
I don't need auto-starting or energy saving options... The computer is on when I switch it on and it only goes off when I switch it off. I don't see a need for sleep mode on desktop machines.

NebKiwi
05-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Working here :) I am very surprised :D

SaCleoCheater
05-13-2009, 10:25 PM
I ain't gonna try it unless I know it's safe.

A kernel that tinkers with the BIOS? wew.

cmdshft
05-13-2009, 10:40 PM
I tried this, it corrupted the saved settings in my CMOS (returned a bad checksum in BIOS), so I had to go back in and set everything back.

naquaada
05-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Hmmm... What happened now? A short time ago my second computer on which I tested the schedule things seemed to have switched on itself... or did i touch the keyboard? I normally switch it on using the Space key. I couldn't see anything because the monitor was switched off, and it wasn't booting the system, it was stuck in the first screen telling BIOS checksum error... After restoring the BIOS settings I booted in both systems I have installed (10.5.3 and 10.5.6), there wasn't set a time schedule... strange.

SaCleoCheater
05-14-2009, 10:08 PM
OK well I tried it...

BIOS Settings are still the same, and ALL works using Vanilla kernel (Darwin 9.7)!!

*Had to set time zone back 1 hr (to match the BIOS clock).

What amazes me is why Mac OS X can do this on a PC and Windows can't! IMO thats pretty impressive :)

Computer went to sleep, woke (even from full shutdown!) and everything else!

I use it to wake me up every morning :D

naquaada
05-14-2009, 10:14 PM
You also can't use 4 GB RAM with a standard 32-bit Windows, OSx86 is!

Ali C.
05-14-2009, 11:16 PM
I have a hunch.
Note that everyone who has this working without BIOS checksum problems is using a Gigabyte board (sans one Asus). And notice how everyone with problems has an Asus (again, sans the lucky one).
Funny, isn't it. Coincidence? I think not.
Then again...SaCleoCheater, what mobo are you using?