PDA

View Full Version : [Installation/Help] Recommendation? / Advise

lunfai
05-15-2009, 06:41 PM
I've tried expirementing before but I only successfully installed once; Now I really need some help because frankly, I just click random boxes and as far as that got me was one successful install that didn't work quite as I expected since a) wireless didn't work, B) audio wasn't working c) everytime i move, resize, scroll and window the content of the application flipped. But now I've decided to use iDeneb since it has AL660VD patch which was one of the problems that may have affected the installation i did with iPC with all those problems. I don't really post much in forums but this will really help me.

So I'm going to install iDeneb unless you suggest something better.
Here's my spec's please give me some help on deciding which patches to install:

Motherboard = ASRock P4VM900-SATA2
VIA P4M900 + VIA VT8237S chipset(?)
On-board Audio = Realtec AL660VD Audio Codec
Graphics Card = Nvidia 8600GT 256mb (Club3D)
Wirless = D-Link DWL-G520 Wireless PCI ( rev.B )
Keyboard = Logictech G15
Mouse = Logictech Nano VXAnyone who helps me and helps me install this puppy I will happily design them anything they
want for free. I hope I can offer my services as I'm a really kind person.

According to this sound I choose?

Kernal = Voodoo (?)
Chipset = VIA/SiS/Marvell/Uli ( vecchi VIA-SB )
Graphics = NVDarwin 256mb (?)
Wireless = (not sure?)
Sound = AL660VD
PS2 Fix = Just incase
USB Mass = Just incase
Applications
Is this okay? Change and reply according please

----Questions----
Q) Why does it show like NVdarwin 1.2.5 and than NVdarwin 1.2.5 <RAM SIZE?> / if so which one if best?, NVKush, NVinject, NVdarwin?

[Forum looks great btw, I'll make sure I'll try to become apart of this community, seems awesome]

xXrkidXx
05-16-2009, 12:25 AM
you shouldn't click random boxes...
\
only get the PS/2 Fix if ur keyboard or mouse isn't USB. Voodoo sounds about right. That might be a good install, hoping that everything works out correctly :)

JoesMorgue
05-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Personally, I think that if your running a dual boot machine with XP or Vista, you want to be able to read NTFS while in OS X, it makes moving files between the to so much easier.

After doing some digging, I found that the protections Vista puts on certain directories (folders) are not there! For me, thats a good thing. For people that don't know what they are doing, that could be disasterous!

lunfai
05-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Yeah, I'm just new to the OSX scene but I have extensive knowledge of windows which doesn't really help alot right now. But I decided to give it another whip and well I got a boot0 error; I'm going to try reinstall and then look up on how to solve it since I don't really know how to access that drive again even though i fixed my mbr.

//Any ideas?
I think I nailed the hardware configuration, but I'm not certain till I see it.

I tried booting from cd : rd = rdisk0s3 but it my install seem'd bad.

JoesMorgue
05-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Sometimes I get a kernel panic when I boot, other times its fine...

Try booting again

lunfai
05-16-2009, 09:34 PM
I already deleted the partition, I wanted to try iPC final iso since I got PPF5 in the past which didn't have ALC660VD but the final iso has, which is quite good. I didn't know I downloaded the wrong version so I'm going to see how this goes. Also; I'm just wondering if I do r=rdisk0s3 -v ? will it boot disk 0 partition 3 (where leopard is installed for me) and find out why it panics?

xXrkidXx
05-16-2009, 09:48 PM
installing as little as possible on first install will have less chance of a crash ;)

you can always go back after you have finished installing and add kexts to make your hardware work properly

lunfai
05-16-2009, 10:04 PM
installing as little as possible on first install will have less chance of a crash ;)

you can always go back after you have finished installing and add kexts to make your hardware work properly

hmmm; have you got a link to a tutorial?, Am I able to remove kexts after installation and if I can brilliant. The last time when i got it working worked out really badly since everytime I moved the window/resize/scroll the content flipped. x.x;

I think I'll use NvKush since the last time i remmeber installing the pacific graphic kext and I think it bugged because I also selected Kvinject 256mb. (possibility?)

Add me on msn by any chance =P

xXrkidXx
05-16-2009, 11:08 PM
dont have one dude,

and if u think its because of a kext u installed, then yea if u go into singleusermode u can remove it, its somewhere around here... i cant remember the exact command.. i think its rm /System/Library/Extensions/(the kext u want to get rid of).kext

lunfai
05-16-2009, 11:15 PM
dont have one dude,

and if u think its because of a kext u installed, then yea if u go into singleusermode u can remove it, its somewhere around here... i cant remember the exact command.. i think its rm /System/Library/Extensions/(the kext u want to get rid of).kext

Your super helpful :D, How do I get the exact name of the kext?

nfoav8or
05-16-2009, 11:25 PM
there are many different ways to remove an unwanted kext. a few of them are:

in single-user mode (-s)
/sbin/mount -uw /
rm -Rf /Sytem/Library/Extensions/extension.kext
rm -Rf /System/Library/Extensions.*
reboot
This deletes the kext and also clears it from the mkext "cache" file that is normally used to boot up the machine unless otherwise specified.

you can also do the same style within OS X after you have it running... I prefer Terminal so that's how I'll show it
sudo -s
reboot

This is just my personal preference when dealing with kexts, so feel free to try other ways.

EDIT:
How do I get the exact name of the kext?

Either use the Terminal command kextstat then compare these to what is in your /System/Library/Extensions/ folder... or look at your System Profile -> Software -> Extensions...

lunfai
05-16-2009, 11:41 PM

in single-user mode (-s)
/sbin/mount -uw /
rebootThis deletes the kext and also clears it from the mkext "cache" file that is normally used to boot up the machine unless otherwise specified.

you can also do the same style within OS X after you have it running... I prefer Terminal so that's how I'll show it
sudo -s
rebootThis is just my personal preference when dealing with kexts, so feel free to try other ways.

EDIT:

Either use the Terminal command kextstat then compare these to what is in your /System/Library/Extensions/ folder... or look at your System Profile -> Software -> Extensions...

Thanks abunch :D, thanks for all the help I hope to test it out tommorow etc.

lunfai
05-17-2009, 02:15 PM
I'm getting a nasty "still waiting for root device" ; I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm using iPC 10.5.6 PPF 5, and I've made sure I installed the correct chipset. I was just looking at the topic's stuck on top and wondered what "SATA chipset driver" meant, was I supposed to click a SATA chipset?, I only clicked Via/SiS........etc..

milanca
05-17-2009, 03:11 PM
Hi,

Lets go one step at the time. First lets fix booting into OSX.
You don't have chipset controller driver installed. You need AppleVIAATA. Get the file and put it onto your USB stick. You can use windows to do that. Boot from DVD, once you reach installation menu, launch Terminal. You need to do some basic terminal commands to install your kexts and navigate using terminal. You can boot from dvd with usb stick or you can plug it in later.

Suppose your USB stick is labelled 'USB' and your Mac OS X installed partition is labelled 'Leopard'. Use your labels accordingly.

sudo -s
cd /Volumes/
ls
(you will have them all listed here)

cp -r /Volumes/USB/AppleVIAATA.kext /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions
cd /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions
chmod -R 755 AppleVIAATA.kext
chown -R root:wheel AppleVIAATA.kext

cd ..
(go one level up, you are now in /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library)

rm -rf Extensions.*
kextcache -k Extensions/
reboot
Make sure you replace USB and Leopard with your partition labels.

Regards

lunfai
05-17-2009, 03:24 PM
cp -r /Volumes/Kingston/AppleVIAATA.kext /Volumes/MacHD/System/Library/Extensions
cd /Volumes/MacHD/System/Library/Extensions

cd ..
(go one level up, you are now in /Volumes/MacHD
/System/Library)

rm -rf Extensions.*
kextcache -k Extensions/
reboot

I report the outcomes soon :D thanks

xXrkidXx
05-17-2009, 03:38 PM
good luck! :)

lunfai
05-17-2009, 03:49 PM
For some reason sudo -s wasn't reconized as a command, and my USB stick didn't even get reconized; strange.
I listed the directories under Volumes and it didn't come up.

xXrkidXx
05-17-2009, 03:56 PM
sudo shouldn't be recognized because you are booting from the DVD, it already has root privileges, and about your USB, see if the installer with recognize it(i.e.- click continue until it asks where to store it) see if its there

milanca
05-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Check out your BIOS settings. See if Legacy USB support is enabled.

lunfai
05-17-2009, 04:24 PM
Check out your BIOS settings. See if Legacy USB support is enabled.

Just checked it and it's enabled, do i need to do anything to the usb before?
// Is there another option?

lunfai
05-17-2009, 10:58 PM
This is everything i did

/sbin/mount -uw /
mkdir /Volumes/MacHD
mkdir /Volumes/USB
mount -t -hfs /dev/disk1s6 /Volumes/MacHD
mount -t -hfs /dev/disk3s2 /Volumes/USB
cp -r /Volumes/USB/AppleVIAATA.kext /Volumes/MacHD/System/Library/Extensions
cd /Volumes/MacHD/System/Library/Extensions
cd ..
rm -rf Extensions.*
kextcache -k Extensions/
reboot

Everything as it should've happened but still getting waiting for root device. ):
Whenever I install iPC/other distro's there not bootloader it will automatically go into Windows.
I have installed it correctly before but I was missing kext's and foolishly reformated; and I have no idea what I selected on iPC customize;

xXrkidXx
05-18-2009, 01:06 AM
probably cause your FlashDrive isnt called "USB",

do you have any programs like Portable Apps, or U3 on it? that would change the name of it... I have a 2GB Leaxar and its Called LEXAR

u could also try mounting it from Disk Utility, jst find the one that has the right file size(i.e 2GB or whatever it is) and click on mount if it isn't already

lunfai
05-18-2009, 03:13 PM
probably cause your FlashDrive isnt called "USB",

do you have any programs like Portable Apps, or U3 on it? that would change the name of it... I have a 2GB Leaxar and its Called LEXAR

u could also try mounting it from Disk Utility, jst find the one that has the right file size(i.e 2GB or whatever it is) and click on mount if it isn't already

It diffantly did do everything. I'm hundred percent sure.

JoesMorgue
05-19-2009, 06:58 PM
If I do s sudo -s, it asks for a password, then it seems to just drop out. I don't have a password, so I just hit enter...Does sudo supress output?

in single-user mode (-s)
/sbin/mount -uw /
reboot
This deletes the kext and also clears it from the mkext "cache" file that is normally used to boot up the machine unless otherwise specified.

sudo -s
reboot

This is just my personal preference when dealing with kexts, so feel free to try other ways.

EDIT: