PDA

View Full Version : Need info and help please

Ryoukii
05-17-2009, 06:54 PM
Ok ive been reading about different distros of OSX86 for sometime now but im still afraid to try it out incase i mess up my computer which my family uses.

But i think il get the courage to try duel boot Windows XP and a distro over the summer. Can someone recomend a distro for my Dell Dimension 9100. I was thinking of getting Kalyway 10.5.2.

My specs are
CPU
Name : Intel Pentium 4 640
Specification IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 3.20 GHz
Instructions : MMX, SSE, SS32, SSE3, EM64T

Motherboard
Manufacturer : Dell Inc
Model 0X8582
Chipset : Intel i945P
Southbridge : Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R)

BIOS
Brand : Dell Inc
Version A01

Memory
Type : DDR2
Size : 1024 Mbytes

Graphic Card : ATI RADEON X600 256 Hyber memory

Harddrive : 230 GB

I REALLY hope someone can help me out.

Btw what is the easiest way to duel boot it ? I was thinking of using Acronis disk director suite as a saw a tutorial on youtube which used this and it seemed quite easy

Thanks guys

xandizitxu
05-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Ok ive been reading about different distros of OSX86 for sometime now but im still afraid to try it out incase i mess up my computer which my family uses.

But i think il get the courage to try duel boot Windows XP and a distro over the summer. Can someone recomend a distro for my Dell Dimension 9100. I was thinking of getting Kalyway 10.5.2.

My specs are
CPU
Name : Intel Pentium 4 640
Specification IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 3.20 GHz
Instructions : MMX, SSE, SS32, SSE3, EM64T

Motherboard
Manufacturer : Dell Inc
Model 0X8582
Chipset : Intel i945P
Southbridge : Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R)

BIOS
Brand : Dell Inc
Version A01

Memory
Type : DDR2
Size : 1024 Mbytes

Graphic Card : ATI RADEON X600 256 Hyber memory

Harddrive : 230 GB

I REALLY hope someone can help me out.

Btw what is the easiest way to duel boot it ? I was thinking of using Acronis disk director suite as a saw a tutorial on youtube which used this and it seemed quite easy

Thanks guys

Acronis do the job. Believe. I used it and its very ok, now I use Windows XP on Vmware fusion, I like os x more, just use windows for AutoCAD.

Ryoukii
05-17-2009, 07:02 PM
Acronis do the job. Believe. I used it and its very ok

Good to hear :) Now i just need someone to help choose a distro best for my specs

xXrkidXx
05-17-2009, 07:48 PM
I'd use Chemleon 2.0, it works amazingly

and for the distro, maybe iDeneb or iPC

but defenitly use 10.5.6, most up-2-date and it runs very smoothly :)

Ryoukii
05-17-2009, 08:49 PM
I was thinking of getting iDeneb but most people said kalyway works good and Chameleon Bootloader v1 is default installed by iDeneb.
So i create partition for mac boot into dvd and install and when the install finished it will boot into chameleon and i choose mac os x and i go setup my mac and when i reboot again i can choose windows if i want ?

And what if the install doesnt work how do i try it again ? Boot into windows and format the mac partition ? will this remove the chameleon bootloader ?

Sorry for all the questions but i just need info thanks alot guys :)

xXrkidXx
05-17-2009, 08:54 PM
if u r gonna use it, as soon as u have it running, get 2.0, 1 was pretty bad, this one is amazing

Ryoukii
05-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Ok will do.
Anychance you could answer these questions frm my last post

So i create partition for mac boot into dvd and install and when the install finished it will boot into chameleon and i choose mac os x and i go setup my mac and when i reboot again i can choose windows if i want ?

And what if the install doesnt work how do i try it again ? Boot into windows and format the mac partition ? will this remove the chameleon bootloader ?Thanks :)