PDA

View Full Version : What version OS X for my Q6700

Red_Stafford
05-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Hi all I am new to all this Mac OS X on a PC so go easy on me I have iDeneb v1.4 coming my way shortly and I was hoping you guys could tell me if this is the best version to (use see my spec below) because I have noticed there are quite a few different ones about iPC and other.

Intel Quad Q6700
Gigabyte EP45-DS3
Radeon HD 4870
4gig 1333 Ram

Also once I have iDeneb v1.4 ISO is it just a case of burning to DVD then booting from the DVD and installing it on a seperate partition to my Vista install to allow for dual booting, also will I be able to upgrade to 10.5.7 without any problems ?

Can I purchase a OS X 10.5 CPU Drop-in DVD and install a vanilla setup with this ?

I have also been reading up on installing retail version of Mac OS X and using Boot-123, what are the pros & cons in doing it this way and is this the road I should be going down

Red_Stafford
05-19-2009, 11:16 AM
I have installed iDeneb v1.4 but when I boot into OSX the white screen comes up with the grey apple and then I get a circle with a line through it appear and it doesnt go any further, can any of you guys help us ?

distantstorm
05-19-2009, 11:42 PM
I'm not a troubleshooting expert but you will need to give more information I would think. Try booting in verbose mode (-v option at bootloader) and see what is displayed when system hangs (perhaps take a photo if you can).

Also it would probably help if you could say what options you selected when you installed iDeneb. It's not a distro I have used (I'm more familiar with iPC installs) but Gigabyte boards such as yours are usually pretty compatible and so I would imagine you would need minimal options selected to get going.

It's a lucky person that attempts an OSX install and has no problems on first attempt so don't worry, you'll get there.

As for your query about retail.. ultimately yes. If you can, that's the way to go. Simply put, it gets you closer to a real Mac. However, I would say that a distro install is the best place to start. Others may disagree but once you have that working you can clone it on to a USB drive and have a bootable system without worrying about Boot-132 disks etc that you can then even use to assist you in your retail install. And clone back if it all goes horribly wrong. I'm a bit of a cloning and imaging addict when it comes to installs though! A harsh Windows lesson.

EDIT: One thing to check...Do you have anything connected by IDE? If so you will need to make sure you have selected JMicron ATA driver during install process (I assume it's an option in iDeneb). If you didn't and haven't anything connected to IDE then try disabling IDE controller in your BIOS and see if you get any further. Knowing your chipsets on your board is one of the main keys to getting a working install. A quick glance seems to show you have ICH10 so look for options for that in iDeneb.

SportsGuy
05-20-2009, 01:46 AM
I have the same problem

try using your live cd and push F8 and then type this "rd=disk0s*"

* being the partition you installed it on (also assuming that you have one hard drive)

and can you get all four of your cores working?

Red_Stafford
05-20-2009, 08:45 AM
I have the same problem

try using your live cd and push F8 and then type this "rd=disk0s*"

* being the partition you installed it on (also assuming that you have one hard drive)

and can you get all four of your cores working?

I have got it working I had to enable AHCI in the bios and then it booted and everything was fine the internet was working too but I needed to get my sound working and the drivers for my ATi HD4870, so I hunted for info on my graphics card and installed the drivers re-booted and then OSX wouldnt boot it would go to the white screen with the grey apple and then the monitor would go off and I also managed to damage my Vista which was installed on another partition???? I didnt have a clue how to get round this so I had to do a whole new install of OSX86 on one drive and Vista on another drive but now my internet doesnt work on OSX what do I need to do. And whats the live CD and how do I get all 4x cores working ?