PDA

View Full Version : Would this work ?

Ryoukii
05-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Instead of installing a osx86 distro to my harddrive could i buy a 16 gig USB and install and boot it from there ?
I was googling around and i think theres a way to do it by downloading and buring the .iso to a dvd, insert your USB and then boot from the dvd and install the same way you would normally but install it to the usb and it will install to the USB and be able to boot from it ?
this is the tutorial i saw http://pcwizcomputer.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=32
Can i do this with any distro or is there a particular one ?
And will i still have my windows bootloader if i do this ?

Thanks guys

thorazine74
05-22-2009, 09:47 AM
You should be able to do that, you would need to repartition your USB Drive so it has an MBR or GUID style partition setup, by default most drives dont come like that.
It can be done from OS X Disk Utility or using a third party tool like Parted Magic.
Dont know about the distros but they should not touch the harddrive bootloader if you are installing to a USB disk but I havent tested this. In doubt you can always disable the disk before doing the installation.

Ryoukii
05-22-2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks man.Does anyone know since iDeneb has charmeleon has a deafult bootloader so if i install iDeneb on my USB i wonder would it overwrite the windows booloader on my harddrive or just have the charmenleon bootloader on the USB ?

MoC
05-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Instead of installing a osx86 distro to my harddrive could i buy a 16 gig USB and install and boot it from there ?
I was googling around and i think theres a way to do it by downloading and buring the .iso to a dvd, insert your USB and then boot from the dvd and install the same way you would normally but install it to the usb and it will install to the USB and be able to boot from it ?
this is the tutorial i saw http://pcwizcomputer.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=32
Can i do this with any distro or is there a particular one ?
And will i still have my windows bootloader if i do this ?

Thanks guys

Yes it would work, I've done it before. Works with any distro, and doesn't touch your internal HDD's MBR.

Ryoukii
05-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Yes it would work, I've done it before. Works with any distro, and doesn't touch your internal HDD's MBR.

Brillant thanks for clearing that up. Il download a distro as soon as the leopard Vmware image finishes :)